U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 04:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,137 times
Default Moving to Nashville - will be working in Vandy area - new modern homes?

I will be moving to Nashville in August 2011 and will be working in the Vanderbilt U area. I love modern architecture and new construction -- any advice on where to start looking for a house or condo? I have been living in a totally green house for two years now (earth energy powered, no a/c, spring water) -- and I feel a little confused when I look at the MLS and Real Estate listings for Nashville. I am not getting an 'eco' feeling. Don't get me wrong -- I am totally excited about moving to Nashville! I would love to live in an area with good walking/bike paths. I appreciate any thoughts you might have on where to live that is nice and safe for a single person. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 AM

1,663 posts, read 2,327,855 times
Good walking bike paths-I would either look towards E. Nashville or Brentwood. They have very different vibes though. One is young and hip and one is a fine specimen of suburbia.

Green building hasn't been big here. There is a development in Franklin that is new and all the houses are LEED certified (Barclay Place) but I don't think you'll find anything like you are describing easily.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:01 AM

380 posts, read 563,107 times
I would check out the Gulch. It was billed as the first LEED certified neighborhood in the South. I'm not sure if it still is or ? It's condos...but it's all new, modern construction. I can't imagine living here with a/c. I know that people obviously did it at one time...but I'm thankful for it. The Gulch is a small area, but you can walk downtown. I live in East Nashville...it's a walkable neighborhood...and it's urban. There are some modern structures scattered around here...but overall, it's a historic area with older homes. I doubt you are going to find a place with spring water...unless it's way out in the country. If you are going to be working at Vandy...you're not going to want to live that far out.

Good Luck with your research and move

Old 07-10-2011, 06:33 AM

4 posts, read 3,137 times
Default Thanks for the information!

I appreciate your rapid responses to my questions. The more I look at real estate listings in Nashville, the more I realize I am in for a culture shift, for sure. I can't visit Nashville before I move there -- I am half-way round the world right now --so I will hit the ground running to look for a house to buy when I get there. I will start searching in the new home developments (more likely to be energy efficient, I think). I only need a small place -- seems like Nashville is full of 3-4 bedroom homes -- all with bonus rooms! I think Downtown is a little hectic for me -- so I'll be looking around elsewhere. I think I might just go look at those downtown condos, however -- good suggestion!

Old 07-10-2011, 07:50 AM

246 posts, read 255,631 times
Depending on where you're coming from Nashville might be a culture shift/shock in a lot of ways. As far as housing goes, actual architecture plays a very small role (to most people 'modern' usually refers to age rather than style). There's a little modern and a little LEED but you won't find all your wants in one place and you should definitely get a feel for the layout of the city before you choose a property. I'll PM you with the info on an agent who's into modern and might know of something.

Old 07-10-2011, 08:13 AM

1,663 posts, read 2,327,855 times
where are you moving from?

Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 AM

1,434 posts, read 1,965,757 times
There's a smattering of modern housing in Nashville...

Nevada Heights is the most notable.
Here's an example of a home in Nevada Heights: Sylvan Park Rental Home in Nevada Heights Nashville
This thread also has a photo of the neighborhood: Music City Mojo: My Photo Tour of Nashville

This area is very close to Vanderbilt.

Germantown Station is a green neighborhood: Germantown Station, Nashville Single-Family Bungalows & Townhomes (http://www.nashvillecityliving.com/cms/germantown-station.html - broken link)

So is West End Station West End Station - Sylvan Park - Nashville, TN

So is Gale Park in 12 South Gale Park - a green cottage community in 12South

Old 07-13-2011, 12:47 PM

65 posts, read 66,488 times
The whole Gulch development is not all LEED certified... only the Terrazzo is LEED certified. It is a modern high rise condo building that may appeal to you. If you want something modern near Vanderbilt your best bet will be to look at condos. The vast majority of homes in that area were built a long time ago, unless you find a nice complete renovation... and the new ones are either duplexes that share a common yard or new stand alone homes that are over $1M.

West End Station is really nice however it has a train line that runs immediately adjacent to the back row of homes in that small neighborhood.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM

133 posts, read 166,405 times
Couldn't imagine living without a/c in the summer or heat in the winter. Let me know how that goes

Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM

1,434 posts, read 1,965,757 times
It's hard to explain but in France it seems that the homes are designed to feel comfortable without a/c. Windows are placed so that you get a nice cross breeze, there are tight shutters to keep out heat during the day, and the homes are rarely made of wood and siding, which, to me, seems to let the heat/cold in more. So, with the right kind of home, I can definitely imagine living without a/c as I did at one time. Heat would be a different story...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville