U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-10-2011, 01:48 PM

25 posts, read 21,832 times
Default Harpeth River & Recreation

I would like to hear from some of you that have experience with the Harpeth River, specifically the portion on the Western side of the city. Is it polluted? Is it good for fishing? What can you catch there? Is it good for swimming, especially the area by Newsomes Mills State Park? How fast does it run? I have a nine year old who loves Kayaking, is it lazy enough for me to let him out on it?

Thanks in Advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:54 PM

1,676 posts, read 2,382,056 times
Hopefully Ldoubled will chime in, but there is a nice stretch in Franklin that runs near Old Hillsboro/Del Rio/Cotton that has a lot of canoers and kayakers

Old 07-10-2011, 06:11 PM

434 posts, read 417,076 times
Default Harpeth River Assn.

Harpeth River • Harpeth River • Harpeth River Watershed Association

If you live here, you may be drinking Harpeth water.

http://www.hvud.com/

Old 07-12-2011, 07:39 AM

25 posts, read 21,832 times
Ok what I guess I am asking is.... what is the perceived ideas about the Harpeth? Do local people think of it as a nice pretty beautiful river or is it considered a dirty polluted mess?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzum View Post
I would like to hear from some of you that have experience with the Harpeth River, specifically the portion on the Western side of the city. Is it polluted? Is it good for fishing? What can you catch there? Is it good for swimming, especially the area by Newsomes Mills State Park? How fast does it run? I have a nine year old who loves Kayaking, is it lazy enough for me to let him out on it?

Thanks in Advance!
The water volume and weather conditions for floating the Harpeth are usually best from late April until early June.

Do a search for 'Narrows of the Harpeth'. This is a very good section.

I prefer the Duck River near Columbia. The water is cleaner, the flow is more consistent through the Summer, and, IMO, its more scenic. It's also very kid friendly. Check with these folks on more details about routes:

Higher Pursuits Canoe Routes

Check this site for other up-river sections: Trip Descriptions

Old 07-12-2011, 05:52 PM

434 posts, read 417,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzum View Post
Ok what I guess I am asking is.... what is the perceived ideas about the Harpeth? Do local people think of it as a nice pretty beautiful river or is it considered a dirty polluted mess?

IMHO most people forget about it until it floods again. There is a nice soccer field in Bellevue that had a nice footbridge till last May's floods.

Apart from the General Jackson most don't even take advantage of the Cumberland. Nashville is behind most cities in not having a riverfront park & marina. We need something more than just a place to park a barge & shoot off fireworks. Turning the old thermal site & titans parking into something else is a good start.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:10 PM

15 posts, read 12,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
IMHO most people forget about it until it floods again. There is a nice soccer field in Bellevue that had a nice footbridge till last May's floods.

Apart from the General Jackson most don't even take advantage of the Cumberland. Nashville is behind most cities in not having a riverfront park & marina. We need something more than just a place to park a barge & shoot off fireworks. Turning the old thermal site & titans parking into something else is a good start.
Speaking of rivers and stuff... what is the park near The Loveless Cafe? What does it offer? I thought I saw something about boating on a sign when we passed?
Any general information would be great. Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville