Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,313 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am a 25 year old SWF moving to Nashville by myself for work. I've lived in Miami all my life (which is like Memphis, but with palm trees and spanish is the primary language), so it will be quite a change. Ive been researching this move for quite some time already and will be flying up next weekend to find a place to live. I would really love to live in East Nashville. From what i've read and been told by former residents is that compared to the rest of the city, its the most liberal, artsy, diverse and dog-friendly. I've also heard that it has the largest gay population in Nashville. Now i'm not gay, but I wouldnt mind a 40something male/male couple to live next to. It would be nice to ride my bike to restaurants, bars, grocers, etc. My budget is $800/mo but thats pushing it.

I will be working in Green Hills, near the mall to be specific. I also have to be a work earlier than most people (7 to 730). What would this commute be like? Is traffic heinous in that direction in the morning? 10/15/20 minutes? Furthermore, what would be the best route?

There will be some days where I have to leave the house at 5am or dont get home until 2am. I also have a dog that needs to be walked, probably around these hours also. Its obviously very important that i feel safe doing these things. which parts of EN should i steer clear of?

Obviously 5points, Edgefield and East end are good places to live. What about Shelby Hills, Boscobel Heights, McFerrin Park and areas near Cleveland Park ? I cant seem to find much info on these neighborhoods. Let me know what other areas are good or bad. Im not freaking out about having someone breaking into my car for my Case Logic. I just dont wanted to have a gun aimed at my head or a rapist breaking into my place. My dog barks at the drop of a leaf falling and I sleep with a katana next to my bed.

Thanks for any advice in advance! I'm SO excited to be moving to your city!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
I live on the South side of Shelby Avenue & have never had any problems over here. Based on what you described, I think it sounds like it would be a great fit for you & your pup.

Everyone that I know, literally, has a pet over here (usually multiple)! Extremely dog friendly, it won't be hard to find a dogwalker if you need one from time to time to drop in on your dog while you're at work.

I'm a little less than a mile from the Interstate so at off peak times (from my house) I'd estimate a 12 min. drive to Green Hills...the exit at least. You would just get on 24E at the Titans stadium, head to 65S, then merge onto 440W & get off at the Hillsboro Rd. exit. Less than 10 miles from EN & all Interstate, it will be a breeze at off peak times.

Best of luck with your search.

Courtney

Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 AM

228 posts, read 528,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecjock View Post
My dog barks at the drop of a leaf falling and I sleep with a katana next to my bed.
First, needed to point out that this is an awesome security system

Second, depending on your needs - size, amenities, etc - it may be a little bit of a search to stay within your budget. Have your application fee with a standard application filled out and be ready to pay first and last month’s rent RIGHT WHEN YOU WALK INto the right place (and remember to get your own copy of the lease signed by the landlord before exchanging the deposit monies).

Good options go very fast. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2011, 11:28 AM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
I would also recommend Eastwood Neighbors. It is bordered by Gallatin rd on the west, porter rd on the east, Douglas Ave on the north, and Eastland Ave to the South. You would be within walking distance to a bunch of Restaurants and coffee shops, the new Jeni's Ice Cream, and the always great Family Wash. Plus it would be a short bike ride or walk to the Five Points area. Good luck on the move.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:50 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin south of Nashville View Post
Second, depending on your needs - size, amenities, etc - it may be a little bit of a search to stay within your budget.
I'll second that. There are safe areas in EN, but $800/Month may not land you there. You should be prepared to make some concessions of spend a little more money.

Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,742,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I'll second that. There are safe areas in EN, but $800/Month may not land you there. You should be prepared to make some concessions of spend a little more money.
Or consider a roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: