U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-14-2011, 10:42 PM

5,030 posts, read 4,693,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
The pizza isn't as good here and there aren't really 'delis' like I am used to 'back east'.
This is what I was saying about "think about the things you DO like about where you live..."

No matter where you move, there is some sort of compromise when it comes to local cuisine.

Yes, we have pizza and delis here...but they're not the same as you would be used to in the NE. But with what we may lack there, we make up with some kick ass barbecue.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 06:42 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,212,685 times
I wonder if anyone ever moved somewhere JUST because of the food???? I might move to San Francisco for the steady supply of fresh baked sourdough bread. And I did move to Switzerland just for the chocolate.

I don't 'get' BBQ . . . . .

(and I wasn't trying to pick on Nashville for their less than NE delis. I just never realized it was a regional thing . . .)

Old 07-16-2011, 01:15 PM

386 posts, read 498,323 times
My wife and I lived in NYC for ~10 yrs before moving down to Nashville first and now Brentwood.

As someone else mentioned, population density is incredibly different. This was a great thing for us, but if you've spent your whole life in the NE in the most densely populated megalopolis in the country, you may look around sometimes and wonder "Where is everyone?" ;-)

The main negative for us? No good sushi/Japanese food in Nashville or within a few hundred mile radius. I think Atlanta is the closest town with a good sushi joint.

And there are times when I miss public transit a little bit. Even though NYC's public transit system kinda sucks, it can be nice to just get in a subway car and not worry about traffic or crazy drivers talking on their cell phone and veering lane to lane while going 80 mph. We didn't own a car before, but if you live outside the city now you're probably already well-accustomed to driving and MOST drivers down here are more polite and easygoing than in the NYC area.

We don't have any children, but we are a mixed ethnicity couple and I've never noticed any issues or problems due to that.

If you make an effort to be outgoing and friendly, I believe people will reciprocate. Nashville has a reputation as a very friendly place and I feel that reputation is well-deserved and hope it will continue to attract friendly, nice people of all colors, creeds and backgrounds!

Have you visited in summer yet? The heat and humidity can be something else. Even if you *think* it won't bother you, you should probably try visiting in July or August (or May, June or September sometimes!) before committing.

Also, don't think you're moving to the Deep South to escape winter. Tennessee is the MID-SOUTH. We still have ice storms (though usually little snow) and the hills round here can get mighty treacherous when they get slick. There were plenty of times this past winter when it was actually colder (20s and teens!) than in the NE due to the shape of the jetstream. If escaping winter altogether is a major consideration for you, I would think you should consider something more coastal (Charleston, Savannah, even Atlanta has milder winters, New Orleans, any Florida city, etc.)

PS - I love the Tennessee accent and often (at risk of embarassing myself) try to emulate it, but there may be times where you don't have a clue as to what someone is saying, particularly if that person is from a more rural area and/or three sheets to the wind!

Old 07-16-2011, 02:35 PM

164 posts, read 207,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I wonder if anyone ever moved somewhere JUST because of the food???? I might move to San Francisco for the steady supply of fresh baked sourdough bread. And I did move to Switzerland just for the chocolate.

I don't 'get' BBQ . . . . .

(and I wasn't trying to pick on Nashville for their less than NE delis. I just never realized it was a regional thing . . .)
Oh CG2B, I can help you "get" BBQ. Love, love, love it here.

I think "we" didn't realize how much of food was regional many foods and types of foods are so prevalent from New York/New Jersey, even Pennsylvania, up through New England. That is a pretty huge part of the country.

I find myself missing the European type bakeries. And no, Whole Foods bakery doesn't count.

But, as was said before, what the south lacks in "northern style" foods is more than made up for in southern style.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyjo143 View Post
I find myself missing the European type bakeries. And no, Whole Foods bakery doesn't count.
Have your tried Provence or any of the other local bakeries? They may not be exactly what you are used to, but you can find some pretty good quality bread and desserts.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:46 AM

164 posts, read 207,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Have your tried Provence or any of the other local bakeries? They may not be exactly what you are used to, but you can find some pretty good quality bread and desserts.
I have not. I am looking for Italian cannoli and ricotta pie and almond macaroon cookies and napoleons. Savarino's Cucina in the Vandy area is pretty good. They are Italian/New Yorkers who moved here and opened a place.

I will check out Provence.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:05 AM

1,434 posts, read 2,001,382 times
Quote:
I have not. I am looking for Italian cannoli and ricotta pie and almond macaroon cookies and napoleons. Savarino's Cucina in the Vandy area is pretty good. They are Italian/New Yorkers who moved here and opened a place.

Nana Rosa in Hendersonville has great cannoli.

Macaroons and Macarons always confuse me here...If you mean Macarons, the French almond-flour sandwich cookie, I think you might be out of luck. Several places do make them but they are nothing special. I think the humidity in the south is bad for their set up. Provence makes them and I think there's a fairly new place in East Nashville called Almond Tree that does them. I haven't tried the latter but the former left a lot to be desired.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:

Ah, you're looking for Italian. Provence is French.

There are a few Italians here...but not enough good Italian food/restaurants. That's something I wish we had more of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville