U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,131,260 times

Advertisements

I love Nashville and I just visited there again for the 4th time. Played the Bluebird and it was great !

I was just curious as to the housing situation. It seems everyone lives outside of the city. They live in Franklin, Gallatin, Madison, or suburbia. But there doesnt seem to be any housing within the city. Aside from music row, and North Nashville, I dont see any housing facilities in the downtown area. There is Belle Meade- but thats the West End, of course. I was thinking is it because Nashville is so commercial as an entertainment hub that there's no real housing in the immediate city area?

Also, I couldnt really find too many historic buildings either. Aside from the Capital building and the downtown Library. Did Nashville have a fire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 02:20 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,946,716 times
Well, there was a big fire in East Nashville back around the turn of the century . . . they call it the "Great Nashville Fire".

Living in the downtown area is just now coming back into vogue after a long period where few people lived, or wanted to live, downtown. There has always been housing in the areas immediately surrounding downtown (within the old city limits) in every direction: north, south, east, and west. More and more condos and lofts and apartments are being built downtown; it will take a while to satisfy the apparent demand (then they will proceed to overbuild it and then complain about the depressed downtown real estate market).

I'm not sure why you weren't able to find any historic buildings; there's plenty of them around. However, the new downtown library isn't one of them, if by historic you mean old. It's was only built back about ten years ago. You might think about getting a guidebook the next time you visit; one that lists historic buildings and sites and not just the tourist spots. Or taking the downtown walking tour that the Historic Nashville folks give (or used to--I've heard they still do).

Stop by here before you visit the next time and maybe we can point you to some historic buildings.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Well, there was a big fire in East Nashville back around the turn of the century . . . they call it the "Great Nashville Fire".

Living in the downtown area is just now coming back into vogue after a long period where few people lived, or wanted to live, downtown. There has always been housing in the areas immediately surrounding downtown (within the old city limits) in every direction: north, south, east, and west. More and more condos and lofts and apartments are being built downtown; it will take a while to satisfy the apparent demand (then they will proceed to overbuild it and then complain about the depressed downtown real estate market).

I'm not sure why you weren't able to find any historic buildings; there's plenty of them around. However, the new downtown library isn't one of them, if by historic you mean old. It's was only built back about ten years ago. You might think about getting a guidebook the next time you visit; one that lists historic buildings and sites and not just the tourist spots. Or taking the downtown walking tour that the Historic Nashville folks give (or used to--I've heard they still do).

Stop by here before you visit the next time and maybe we can point you to some historic buildings.
I guess when I said historic I meant "antebellum". I live in Richmond and we have tons of houses with large white columns in front, and big porches.

I dont see those in Nashville. I guess the fire does explain that part as well.

The downtown library looks like it was built about 1900. The one on Church St . But I guess its a remake.

Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,946,716 times
Yes, the library was build in the classic style, but is fairly new. It's a nice library, by the way.

There are antebellum houses scattered about here and there, but Nashville was never quite the "plantation area" that some other cities in the south were; there were some such as Belle Meade, the Carter Plantation, and others. Of course, Nashville didn't suffer quite the damage that Richmond did during the late "War of North Aggression". :-)

There are some historic houses all around, and lots of churches, you just might have to search them out a little more here than in parts of Virginia. And there are still some interesting old house over in the Edgefield area of East Nashville, Germantown, Edgehill, some part of west and south Nashville.

By the way, years ago I toured the "plantation row" area north of the James River. It was nice then. Is it still nice? . . . or has it become another suburbia itself?

Old 08-10-2007, 04:41 PM

11,906 posts, read 32,970,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I love Nashville and I just visited there again for the 4th time. Played the Bluebird and it was great !

I was just curious as to the housing situation. It seems everyone lives outside of the city. They live in Franklin, Gallatin, Madison, or suburbia. But there doesnt seem to be any housing within the city. Aside from music row, and North Nashville, I dont see any housing facilities in the downtown area. There is Belle Meade- but thats the West End, of course. I was thinking is it because Nashville is so commercial as an entertainment hub that there's no real housing in the immediate city area?

Also, I couldnt really find too many historic buildings either. Aside from the Capital building and the downtown Library. Did Nashville have a fire?
No housing facilities in the city? What? You didn't see the several new condo towers? The renovated apartment towers? The neighborhoods around Vanderbilt? Germantown? East Nashville (just across the river from downtown)? The city of Nashville has over 550,000 people (Richmond has 190,000) so there are a lot of people who live close to downtown Nashville including some very trendy urban neighborhoods.

I do agree, however, that Nashville has lost much of its historic flavor. It's been a victim of its own success. Nashville wasn't very big at the time of the War of Northern Aggression, so there was never the amount of historic structures in Nashville as in Richmond. And Nashville has been growing so rapidly in the last 30-40 years that many of the older buildings have been razed to make room for new high-rises and (unfortunately) parking lots.

Oh, and besides the new library which is AMAZING and was built to look old, the new symphony hall is also absolutely beautiful and looks very classic.

But fear not, there are thousands of people who live in all kinds of housing within shooting distance of downtown Nashville, easily one of the coolest and most hip cities in the country.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:32 AM

24 posts, read 86,100 times
Some of my favorite historic buildings in town are in the East Nashville area where I live, it might as well be downtown, you can get there in under 10min.
I really like the Frist Center, which used be the old Post office and has a nice retro look to it, Hume Fogg was the first high school, and there are several other nice old buildings around that broadway area that I just love.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Yes, the library was build in the classic style, but is fairly new. It's a nice library, by the way.

There are antebellum houses scattered about here and there, but Nashville was never quite the "plantation area" that some other cities in the south were; there were some such as Belle Meade, the Carter Plantation, and others. Of course, Nashville didn't suffer quite the damage that Richmond did during the late "War of North Aggression". :-)

There are some historic houses all around, and lots of churches, you just might have to search them out a little more here than in parts of Virginia. And there are still some interesting old house over in the Edgefield area of East Nashville, Germantown, Edgehill, some part of west and south Nashville.

By the way, years ago I toured the "plantation row" area north of the James River. It was nice then. Is it still nice? . . . or has it become another suburbia itself?
Its still very nice and Rt 5 has been untouched by the northern virginia curse of suburban sprawl. However, Colonial Williamsburg has been built up a lot more in recent years. I actually grew up in Northern Virginia, but my family is from Richmond. I would never go back to Northern Virginia as its such a transient area and I hardly recognize it.

I love Nashville though and its really neat- I did see Belle Meade plantation and The Hermitage. I was just looking for older houses downtown. It seems like Nashville is much more commercial and busy than Richmond as well. I love Richmond and its history, but I have to say Nashville is a lot more exciting by far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or