Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 01:22 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,068,326 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine is going through another mid-life crisis and bought himself a Mustang. Now he needs a nice DRIVING road. I don't mean where he can exceed posted speed limits . . but a nice road to drive on. Scenic, rolling, not too much traffic, no lights . . . . . .

It doesn't have to really 'go' anywhere, just needs to be fun to drive on.

YES, I know, Natchez Trace. But that road sorta makes me car sick and if I get sick in his new Mustang I'll NEVER get another ride.

Thanks!

(I guess it would also be a road that would be nice for motorcyles, too? Or even cyclists?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,706,569 times
Do you mean Old Natchez Trace or Natchez Trace Parkway? I don't care for the Parkway just because I think it's boring. But Old Natchez Trace is another story.

For a nice loop, I would take Del Rio Pike to Old Hillsboro to Parker Branch Road to Old Hwy 96 to Old Hillsboro and back to New Highway 96. The Fernvale area is pretty.

Other pretty roads more in town are Moran Road and North Berrys Chapel to Holly Tree Gap.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:11 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,068,326 times
Yes, I meant the 'national park' road. I told a bicyclist friend of mine from England to ride it and he said the same thing, that it was a bit boring. Maybe pretty in the fall, though? I didn't want him to get squashed riding on the wrong side of the road so thought that would be the place to let him loose.

Thanks for the suggestions. He LIVES on North Berry's Chapel and I know I tried that Holly Tree Gap / Granny White "short cut" over to Franklin Road and got HOPELESSLY twisted and turned around.

Where does the Old Natchez Trace go?

Will look up your other route . . PERFECT!

Thank you!

(He probably won't let me eat Sonic in his car, either . . . )

Old 08-01-2011, 02:29 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,289,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do you mean Old Natchez Trace or Natchez Trace Parkway? I don't care for the Parkway just because I think it's boring. But Old Natchez Trace is another story.

For a nice loop, I would take Del Rio Pike to Old Hillsboro to Parker Branch Road to Old Hwy 96 to Old Hillsboro and back to New Highway 96. The Fernvale area is pretty.

Other pretty roads more in town are Moran Road and North Berrys Chapel to Holly Tree Gap.
Those are some good ones.

For a little bit longer of a drive in Williamson Co, I like taking Old Hillsboro to Leipers Fork, then on to Boston (go straight instead of following Hwy 46 - its called Leipers Creek Rd)...continue on the road to Fly on TN Hwy 7. Turn left towards Columbia, and drive into the little town of Santa Fe (pronounced Santa Fee). Turn left up Snow Creek Rd (TN Hwy 247) towards Theta (pronounced Theeta) to where the road intersects Carters Creek Pk (TN 246) near Burwood. Turn left, and take the road all the way back into Franklin.

As for even longer drives...there are a lot of them. Pick a state highway and just drive. Some of the US highways are pretty nice once you get away from the cities, too. 41 from Manchester to Monteagle, then 64 over to Sewanee and down into Cowan and Winchester is a fun one, though. The truth is there are pretty drives in every direction...and sometimes the best ones are the ones you never intended to travel on.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:40 PM

13,337 posts, read 39,799,381 times
I always enjoyed taking Hwy 100 out of Nashville headed west (well, southwest). When I was a student at Ole Miss that's how I'd go when I wasn't in any hurry. There's very little traffic once you leave Williamson County, and it's a very scenic drive.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-01-2011, 02:56 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,289,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I always enjoyed taking Hwy 100 out of Nashville headed west (well, southwest). When I was a student at Ole Miss that's how I'd go when I wasn't in any hurry. There's very little traffic once you leave Williamson County, and it's a very scenic drive.
That is a pretty drive...also (crossing that) TN 50 from Columbia to Only (@ I-40).

I also enjoyed taking the slow route when I had extra time in college. I drove the entire length of US 70 from Nashville to Knoxville on a few occasions...taking 70N and 70S, too. Besides just the drives...the small towns and communities can be pretty neat.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:05 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,529,828 times
Here are some interesting marked routes.

Discover Tennessee Trails & Byways

Old 08-01-2011, 03:14 PM

91 posts, read 202,625 times
Not sure how far you're looking to go, but 70N going east out of Lebanon all the way over to Cookeville is a great road.

Also out of Lebanon is 141 E to Center hill lake.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:29 PM

593 posts, read 1,351,714 times
If you don't mind the congestion pit stops in Franklin and Murfreesboro, Highway 96 has a lot of nice stretches all the way from Dickson to the west to where it skirts Center Hill Lake to the east.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:52 PM

3,000 posts, read 3,247,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Yes, I meant the 'national park' road. I told a bicyclist friend of mine from England to ride it and he said the same thing, that it was a bit boring. Maybe pretty in the fall, though? I didn't want him to get squashed riding on the wrong side of the road so thought that would be the place to let him loose.

Thanks for the suggestions. He LIVES on North Berry's Chapel and I know I tried that Holly Tree Gap / Granny White "short cut" over to Franklin Road and got HOPELESSLY twisted and turned around.

Where does the Old Natchez Trace go?

Will look up your other route . . PERFECT!

Thank you!

(He probably won't let me eat Sonic in his car, either . . . )

Natchez Trace Parkway (U.S. National Park Service)

The Trace Parkway is 444 miles long to Natchez.
Best time may be in the spring or fall
Be careful of speeds with park police.

The double arch bridge on the north end is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville