U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2011, 04:42 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,327,206 times
Default Ann Patchett's New Green Hills Bookstore opening Oct.

I am very excited about this new store. Loved Davis Kidd and this will be a nice size at 2500 square feet.

Ann Patchett's Green Hills bookstore to open in October | The Tennessean | tennessean.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:35 PM

2,594 posts, read 2,212,685 times
Can't wait! I really miss Davis Kidd although the Container Store is fun. And I WILL support this store by actually BUYING books there.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:50 AM

297 posts, read 732,218 times
I predict it will be closed within 2 years.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:25 AM

1,363 posts, read 1,549,817 times
People still buy real books? You'd have to be crazy to open a bookstore in this day and age unless it is near a university and sells textbooks. However, even that is risky as most textbooks can be found much cheaper online.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:55 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,212,685 times
I like crazy people. I like 'real' books. I am tired of living in front of my Mac. I want to browse in real life. OK, old fashioned. But everything old is new again. Even vinyl is making a come back!

Old 08-19-2011, 02:24 PM

I think this bookstore will be just the right size and in a great location. The Davis Kidd was too large in terms of sq. footage since the reduction in clientele due to e-books.

I still love going to an actual bookstore to pickout books for gifts and to browse the shelves for things to read. I hate online book browsing. I like to hold the book. Read the back cover. And all that old fashioned stuff

Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 PM

432 posts, read 415,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrisko View Post
People still buy real books? You'd have to be crazy to open a bookstore in this day and age unless it is near a university and sells textbooks. However, even that is risky as most textbooks can be found much cheaper online.
The Vanderbilt U bookstore will be moving into the former Borders location on West End.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 PM

5 posts, read 4,246 times
I am excited about this, I miss going to bookstores. I try to stop by when I'm in Cool Springs. I am NOT looking forward to the parking, I haven't gone to the Donut Den in years for fear of the parking lot, maybe it's gotten better?

Old 08-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiccitybelle View Post
I am excited about this, I miss going to bookstores. I try to stop by when I'm in Cool Springs. I am NOT looking forward to the parking, I haven't gone to the Donut Den in years for fear of the parking lot, maybe it's gotten better?
You know, I can't even picture the parking lot of the shopping plaza where the bookstore will be located. Is it really small and crowded?

If so, that will be a real liability to the bookstore (since they are paying for 2500 sq ft they need room for their customers to park).

Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM

5,030 posts, read 4,693,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
You know, I can't even picture the parking lot of the shopping plaza where the bookstore will be located. Is it really small and crowded?

If so, that will be a real liability to the bookstore (since they are paying for 2500 sq ft they need room for their customers to park).
It's pretty cramped (as are most things in Green Hills), but parking shouldn't be impossible...nowhere near as bad as a lot of the things on West End.

As far as the bookstore argument...I agree that in this day and age, it's a pretty risky proposition...but there is definitely still a market for it out there. I think the days of the mega bookstores are largely gone, though.

Plenty of the "older" crowd will still prefer bookstores to shopping online and/or getting books on Kindle or other electronic readers. After that generation dies off, though...who knows?

People still like to go to book signings and listen to authors and/or get their books signed, too...with Davis Kidd gone, that leaves a mighty big void for many Nashvillians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville