Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 09:56 AM

15 posts, read 51,351 times

Advertisements

My wife and I recently visited the Brentwood Franklin area looking at homes in some nice subdivisions. We are concerned about the HOA bylaws regarding pets - we have six dogs. Does anyone know of a website that details the bylaws of these subdivisions or lists homes for sale with no HOA's. Our price range is from $450000 - $550000. Thanks for your help in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I think you should probably look in to the unincorporated parts of Franklin. I don't think they have HOAs to worry about. My friend lives on North Berry's Chapel Road and I think around that area you might find a house? maybe North (or South) Berry's Chapel, Hidden Valley Road, Manley, Beech Creek - in that area?

Also maybe off of Henpeck? But I am less familiar with that area.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the info we will do that. Do you think most HOA's have strict bylaws about the number of dogs in a household?

Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 AM

Well, what kind of dogs do you have? Six miniature dachshunds or six 150 pound Blue Danes??? I'm sure there are leash laws (which might be a city ordinance), pick up after your dog laws. You'll probably have to fence your yard which means approval from the board AND you'll need a big back yard! I did look at Franklin City ordinances and didn't see anything about numbers. I think it comes down to being a nuisance.

My neighbor (very close houses where I live) has two dogs. One is a Beagle who DOES NOT STOP BARKING! So, as a homeowner, I am going to complain about the one dog. Lots of other dogs on the street who are not a problem.

Are your dogs fairly quiet and well behaved? Depends on the breed, I guess?

I will check the HOA manual for Fieldstone Farms (probably under your price range) to see if I find anything and I have web addresses for most of the developments so you could probably call or email and ask?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:54 AM

They are small to medium sized dogs, all rescues so they are all different mixes of breeds, largest is 50 lbs.
They are fairly well behaved and usually don't bark unless someone is approaching the house. They are mostly indoor dogs and only go out in the yard for play and exercise under supervision, they would never be left outside by themselves.

The HOA's in Florida are very restrictive and tell you what type of fence you can put up, what type of trees you can plant and how many pets you are allowed. Are most HOA's in Franklin and Brentwood like that restrictive?

We were looking:

In Brentwood -
Derby Glen Close
Saratoga Hills
Brookfield
Pinkerton Road
Brentmeade
Beech Grove Farms
Hidden Valley Estates

In Franklin:
Barrington
Albany Point
Green Valley
Rosemont
Poplar Hills
Leipers Fork
Keystone
Forest Home Farms
Cedarmont Valley Estates/Cedarmont Farms
McLemore Farms

Any information you have or links to place I can find information on their HOA's, restrictions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 AM

147 posts, read 334,388 times
You'll be hard pressed to find a home under 550k in Derby Glenn or Brentmeade I think

Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM

I'm not overly familiar with ANY of these. I do know the Leipers Fork is a town, and I believe Green Valley is just an area. I did look at a house there that I rather liked. Big yards. Older homes.

WAS surprised to see in my Fieldstone Farms (Franklin) paperwork NO MENTION of dogs or pets. Only a huge "Architectural Guidlines" brochure that went on for pages including the 6 approved colors for your deck stain. So yes, I think these places are concerned about looks and you will probably have to build the fence they want you to build.

So far, have only found the Barrington HOA document online. Hope it's the right one:

www.laddhoa.com/document_download.php?document_id=24

And here is their website:

Barrington Homeowner's Association

Oh, and here is Green Valley - they DO have dues but it's called a Civic Organization. Dues last year $20 a month.

http://www.powerprofiles.com/profile...OC-FRANKLIN-TN

To find any of these you can try Google:

Franklin TN HOA Barrington

and so on.

I will ask my RE agent about the six rescue dogs (sweet) when she's back from her camping trip. Don't worry, there WILL be a place for the pups but you are right to ask about the HOAs. I moved from Connecticut last year and never saw anything like it. HOAs are rare up there!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 08-21-2011 at 11:38 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 11:45 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
All of the neighborhoods you listed as being in Brentwood have some type of HOA; the level of strictness varies. Pinkerton is just a road, not a neighborhood. Some HOAs do have limits on the numbers of pets. Some will send you a "friendly" reminder letter if you leave your trash can out in view from the street.
If you have to live in Brentwood, I would look at something in Hidden Valley or the Pinkerton Road/Waller Road area if you have that many dogs. Tell your agent you want to look at homes that aren't in developments per se.

With 6 dogs, I would not bother to look in Brentwood unless you have at least 2-3 acres. I would think Franklin would offer you more choices.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
I'm not overly familiar with ANY of these. I do know the Leipers Fork is a town, and I believe Green Valley is just an area. I did look at a house there that I rather liked. Big yards. Older homes.
Thank you very much, I checked out the Barrington site and it was in Virginia. I think the one in Franklin is called Barrington Estates, doesn't look like a huge neighborhood but the yard are 1+ acres and would be great if they could be fenced.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YallWantHam View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find a home under 550k in Derby Glenn or Brentmeade I think
I found 2 in Derby Glenn, one might be a short sale though so I am not sure I want to deal with that.

Do you know if they have strict HOA rules?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville