Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 12,281 times

Advertisements

We move to hendersonville 16 months ago from Southern Indiana, Indian Lake is excellent! We located in an older neighborhood near the lake called Indian Lake Forest lots of trees and very beautiful and affordable. and close to the school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 AM

15 posts, read 50,771 times
We have been here for 12 yrs and still love it. The only downside is that it is growing so fast... Hendersonville Tennessee - City Web Site - Hendersonville TN - Sumner County TN

Old 03-24-2008, 03:56 PM

187 posts, read 611,786 times
I just read a post in another thread saying Hendersonville and Madison were pretty much the same crime wise I have always heard Madison was "not so good" so I'm a little confused Any input

Old 03-24-2008, 04:46 PM

198 posts, read 801,926 times
Hendersonville and Madison are totally different. There have been some issues in neighborhoods of Hendersonville that are at the border of the two cities, but I have never had any issues in my area.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
Hendersonville and Madison are totally different. There have been some issues in neighborhoods of Hendersonville that are at the border of the two cities, but I have never had any issues in my area.
You are right, Hendersonville and Madison are nowhere NEAR on the same level when it comes to crime. Hendersonville has NO projects within the city limits and the crime rate is a fraction of the national average for a city its size. Madison is rife with crime, drugs, gangs, and illegals.

Which neighborhoods in Hendersonville have had issues? I haven't heard of any.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:42 PM

187 posts, read 611,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
You are right, Hendersonville and Madison are nowhere NEAR on the same level when it comes to crime. Hendersonville has NO projects within the city limits and the crime rate is a fraction of the national average for a city its size. Madison is rife with crime, drugs, gangs, and illegals.

I'm not sure. Someone in another thread posted saying that Madison and Hendersonville where pretty much the same as far as crime. Here is the quote...
Originally Posted by SouthernStar
The bend is a beautiful area. I thought I heard something awhile back about investors trying to buy it up and develop it, but I haven't heard anything since. Sadly, they'll probably get it eventually. They usually do, but I hope not!!! People who live there complain about traffic being dangerous on that road.

Apparently, crime is subjective. I think Madison is awful. I live about five minutes from "downtown" Madison. I've seen a robbery outside Toys R Us (and heard of several more), robberies outside of Best Buy, armed robberies at the mall in the middle of the day...My husband's office is in a strip plaza in Madison and businesses on both side of him have been robbed at gunpoint. Shooting outside of Chuck E Cheese, assaults/robberies outside of restaurants...I do feel unsafe in Madison, and for good reason. However, you could do all of your shopping and business somewhere else. Sadly, there are very few "safe" towns anymore. Crime from Madison is starting to spill over into Hendersonville more and more (police officer friend's words, not mine).

I'd say you aren't any worse off in that area than in Hendersonville,Goodlettsville, Gallatin,etc...And it is beautiful!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post

I'm getting really tired of this. I _live_ in Madison, and far too often I have to defend my city from these kinds of attacks on this forum. I've been here in Madison for five years, and admit that there are _parts_ of town that are problem areas.

Apparently, though, the repeated opinions of those who actually live here are irrelevant to some posters.

Antioch gets the same kind of treatment. There are parts of Antioch that have problems, but there are other areas that are good, strong neighborhoods. Running down the whole area hurts those folks who are living good, law-abiding lives.

When we decided to buy a house, we looked at a lot of areas. We were looking for somewhere a) close to the city (gas is only going to get more expensive), b) older construction (it's better), c) an integrated neighborhood (we didn't want an all-white enclave), d) affordability (a house we could afford on one income, just in case), and e) safety.

We found what were were looking for here in Madison.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:10 AM

A friend of mine lives in Madison. He regrets buying a house there. He lives in a decent area, but knows that his property value is not as good as it could be because of being in Madison as opposed to just down the street to the next town. He also refuses to send his children to the schools. Although I totally understand what you are saying about some areas making a bad reputation for the entire place, in the world of real estate/property values/desirability it is the reality.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:50 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,501 times
I have no doubt about how Madison is _perceived._ I hear it all the time from people who don't live here, and are surprised that I do. They think there are shootouts on every corner, that anyone who lives here is in daily danger for their lives, and that no one speaks English. That's simply not true.

What I do have a problem with is when people make broad, unsupported statements about Madison. This only feeds that false perception that Madison as a whole is a terrible place to live. It hurts your friend's property values, and the property values of the rest of us who live in pretty nice areas of town.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
I have no doubt about how Madison is _perceived._ I hear it all the time from people who don't live here, and are surprised that I do. They think there are shootouts on every corner, that anyone who lives here is in daily danger for their lives, and that no one speaks English. That's simply not true.

What I do have a problem with is when people make broad, unsupported statements about Madison. This only feeds that false perception that Madison as a whole is a terrible place to live. It hurts your friend's property values, and the property values of the rest of us who live in pretty nice areas of town.
I am definitely empathetic to your frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville