Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM

455 posts, read 637,863 times

Advertisements

Can anyone compare Hope Gardens, Germantown, and Sylvan Park? I'm interested in people's thoughts/experiences in any of these neighborhoods. It seems like Sylvan Park is probably slightly pricier and has slightly bigger lots than Germantown. Hope Gardens would be the most affordable of the three neighborhoods, but it also seems to be lagging the most in terms of revitalization.

FYI, my main interest in these areas is their proximity to downtown, and one of my biggest concerns is safety (and peace of mind--so a safe "feeling"). I am not concerned with school districts at the moment. I am also not into the "progressive" scene, so if anything, the more traditional a neighborhood is, the more inclined I would be to like it. My budget could accommodate at least some homes in each of these neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 08:06 PM

455 posts, read 637,863 times
Also curious if anybody has any thoughts about the small residential area just across White Bridge Road from the Sylvan Park area (i.e., just south of Charlotte and just west of White Bridge).

Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,841,891 times
Sylvan Park is the most traditional.

Based on what you said I wouldn't even consider Hope Gardens.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,303,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Also curious if anybody has any thoughts about the small residential area just across White Bridge Road from the Sylvan Park area (i.e., just south of Charlotte and just west of White Bridge).
I'm a little surprised there isn't more development in West Nashville. I'm talking about the area west from White Bridge to the new West Nashville stores. Perhaps we need to include the area between Charlotte & I-40. To be sure, check out the route of the #10 Charlotte bus between downtown & Walmart.

Perhaps this area tends to be forgotten, particularly when you take the open areas west of WalMart. When McKay opens their store at Old Hickory & some more developments go into the Charlotte & Old Hickory area.

Something to watch for is how the area changes with the new police HQ being built at the old Ford dealer's lot.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,323,943 times
I agree with viva...Sylvan Park probably best fits what you are looking for...but if proximity to downtown is important, I wouldn't rule out Germantown. Sylvan Park isn't far from town, but Germantown is a lot closer.

As far as revitalization, I would say both Sylvan Park and Germantown are pretty far along...but Germantown is smaller with fewer options. I think Hope Gardens is in the beginning phases of this, and will hopefully be a nicer, safer neighborhood in time.

The neighborhood across from Charlotte, west of White Bridge/Briley Pkwy...are you referring to Charlotte Park?

I'm no expert, but I would say that Sylvan Park may be the safest bet. I feel like property values in that area will only continue to rise. It's proximity to other nice areas, like Cherokee Park, Whitland, and the rest of West End is definitely a bonus. Several cool shops and restaurants have opened up there recently.

Germantown has turned out nicely, and has a lot of the same to offer that Sylvan Park does (different type of housing stock, though)...and I think that when the economy rebounds, more new development will take place between Germantown and downtown. The only negative about Germantown is that it is closer to some of the higher crime neighborhoods in the city. Germantown itself isn't unsafe, but there are definitely some issues in the surrounding areas. Hopefully as neighborhoods like Hope Gardens and Buena Vista continue to improve, it will create a larger "safe" area on the north side. In the meantime, there is some distance to go.

If you want to expand your search, you might also check out the 12th South, Melrose, Waverly, and Woodland in Waverly neighborhoods on the south side. They are somewhat similar to the type of thing you are looking for. There are also areas in East Nashville worth consideration...but if you're not too fond of the progressive scene, it might be a little too much (although I think there's a place for everyone in that area).

Old 11-02-2011, 02:47 PM

29 posts, read 48,743 times
Default Salemtown

Germantown is mixed-use and booming, but the residential-only area north of the historic district is technically Salemtown, and is very mixed demographically. Some of the blocks are interesting yuppie, some cookie-cutter yuppie, some inarguably run down, and some genuinely mixed. Since the neighborhood association got started (around the time the housing boom busted, in 2006), crime is down and safety up dramatically, as the police acknowledge when they come to the monthly meetings. I've lived in gentrified or gentrifying neighborhoods on both coasts, and this one is my favorite, most comfortable so far. Plus, walk to downtown offices is quick, easy and scenic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville