Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,971 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am considering relocating to Nashville. I've read through many past forums and a lot of people talk about 'good' areas and 'bad' areas.
I am interested in some more specific information if anyone has time.

I have spent time in New York, Austin, Detroit and Lexington, Ky in the past. What gets considered a 'bad' neighborhood in Lexington would not be nearly as frowned upon in other cities.

I am a single parent with two kids on a budget. Individual public schools are not as important to me as I am willing to use magnet schools and schools of choice.

Being able to walk or ride a bike to a grocery, bank or park is imporant to me. Also, that other people in the area are doing the same.

I am considering Inglewood, Madison and Lockeland Springs.
When I consider something safe I mean that my children and I are safe with our doors locked and that we are not planning on walking after 9pm.
Safe to play in the yard and ride bikes during the day, etc.

So what particular neighborhoods or parts of neighborhoods would you recommend in our situation? I like character and diversity.
Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 12:45 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Sounds like Inglewood or one of the other parts of East Nashville might be a good fit. You would have to be a little careful; East Nashville is improving but there are parts of it that are still iffy.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:22 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,428 times
what kind of budget for housing are you talking about? That'll will certainly dictate to some extent which areas might be a fit for you and your kids, too. I'm a single mom as well, so I understand your concerns. Let's get the money issue addressed, then we can go from there!

Thanks!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 2,971 times
I'm hoping for monthly rent of about $1000.00

I don't mind neighbors with piercings, tattoos, non-english speaking etc. I do mind having to run and look out the window every time I hear a sound.
Thanks a lot for your help.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:46 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,428 times
with a budget of $1,000, would you consider buying a home vs renting? you could certainly purchase a home with that monthly payment if you preferred and have the credit...feel free to PM me on this if you prefer.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:23 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times
Inglewood is just the kind of neighborhood you've described. For $1000 per month, you should be able to find a nice home to rent.

Old 08-21-2007, 03:36 AM

24 posts, read 93,706 times
I agree with the above posters. Being a single mom I'd suggest you stick more to Inglewood than the other 2 mentioned areas that are closeby. There are buses too, though a bit slow to areas outside of downtown, but they are available and several schools closeby too. I've seen several cute rental homes in the area, unsure of the prices though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville