U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:03 PM

15 posts, read 35,813 times
ABOUT $1400 for a 300k house, all depends on the lot size and appraisal of improvement. Burtonwood and Cherry Grove are both really nice areas. just far enough away from the hustle and bustle of main street but not too far to be a burden to get gas or groceries. Chapman's Crossing is very nice. The homes are not as grand as some of the neighborhoods but you can get 2300sqft all brick on a lot you don't have to spend all weekend cutting the lawn for about 260K.

The times myself or my husband have had to go to Nashville or to the airport
there is usually not a big problem. Only once did we really get jammed and that was because of a big wreck blocking the road. we are used to driving in rush hour in Metro Philadelphia, the traffic here is nothing compared to philly.
once yu learn the back roads or how to time it just right you can get to Nashville with out alot of hassle.

Let me know If I can help you further
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 05:32 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,220,375 times
BigTR-
what's the appeal of living on 1 acre lots that you have to mow, water, etc... plus can't walk anywhere from.... when we came home searching we discovered that all of Nashville is suburb...even inside the city limits...there is no truly city living here. At least some of the new TNDs like Westhaven and Lenox Village try to bring the idea of walking to the burbs.... no wonder why TN is the 5th most obese state... you have to hop in your supersized SUVs to get anywhere.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:48 PM

22 posts, read 58,603 times
Just returned from our trip to Nashville. Spring Hill and the new custom homes being built won the day. We also loved parts of Thompson Station. The drive from Spring Hill to downtown Nashville on a Sat Nite was 35 minutes. Franklin was nice but I was disappointed in some of the communities. Older homes with small lots - much too close together. It's a huge buyer's market out there. Tons of inventory and few buyers. Many new homes still being built which means plenty of good deals. You will get a better deal from a builder building a new home than you will buying from a homeowner who is dying to get their price. Next 12 months are going to get better for buyers, worse for sellers. All in my opinion. Plan on moving to SH late spring. Good luck to everyone.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:44 PM

31 posts, read 112,954 times
Smile No Urban Living?

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
BigTR-
what's the appeal of living on 1 acre lots that you have to mow, water, etc... plus can't walk anywhere from.... when we came home searching we discovered that all of Nashville is suburb...even inside the city limits...there is no truly city living here. At least some of the new TNDs like Westhaven and Lenox Village try to bring the idea of walking to the burbs.... no wonder why TN is the 5th most obese state... you have to hop in your supersized SUVs to get anywhere.

All of Nashville is suburbs? Obviously, you never been downtown. There are many already existing urban neighborhoods here, and in addition, there are literally dozens of condominium, loft, and mixed-use projects being constructed everywhere within the Nashville city limits, including:

Signature Tower (broken link)
The Adelicia
Wedgewood Park Lofts
ICON Condominiums (http://www.iconinthegulch.com/enter.html - broken link)
Encore Condominiums
West End Summit
Terrazo (http://www.terrazzonashville.com/index.html - broken link)
Rhythm @ Music Row
The West End
Rolling Mill Hill

And these are just ten that I found rather quickly...

P.S. While looking around, I found a great list of projects being started and finished around Nashville here: Nashville Developments v2.0 - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 09-04-2007, 05:54 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,220,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSoundsGood2Me View Post
All of Nashville is suburbs? Obviously, you never been downtown. There are many already existing urban neighborhoods here, and in addition, there are literally dozens of condominium, loft, and mixed-use projects being constructed everywhere within the Nashville city limits, including:

The Adelicia
Wedgewood Park Lofts
Encore Condominiums
West End Summit
Rhythm @ Music Row
The West End
Rolling Mill Hill

P.S. While looking around, I found a great list of projects being started and finished around Nashville here: Nashville Developments v2.0 - SkyscraperPage Forum

of all the neighborhoods our realtor showed us when we came for the weekend to buy a house...none of them were walkable... only Whitland Ave area had sidewalks and there didn't appear to be much to actually walk to... mostly we were shown Green Hills and Forrest Hills and it looked like we'd have to drive to our neighbors... we did have constraints like we needed at least 5 bedrooms for all our children and previously we'd been living in an urban neighborhood in an old victorian, but the 'hood was fairly safe

Old 09-05-2007, 11:03 AM

631 posts, read 1,584,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yazbird833 View Post
Just returned from our trip to Nashville. Spring Hill and the new custom homes being built won the day. We also loved parts of Thompson Station. The drive from Spring Hill to downtown Nashville on a Sat Nite was 35 minutes. Franklin was nice but I was disappointed in some of the communities. Older homes with small lots - much too close together. It's a huge buyer's market out there. Tons of inventory and few buyers. Many new homes still being built which means plenty of good deals. You will get a better deal from a builder building a new home than you will buying from a homeowner who is dying to get their price. Next 12 months are going to get better for buyers, worse for sellers. All in my opinion. Plan on moving to SH late spring. Good luck to everyone.

I am going to give you an honest opinion about Spring Hill. I was born and raised in Middle TN and last September I decided to get out of Florida and come back home. I moved to Spring Hill and it was the worst decision I ever made. The city of Spring Hill has absolutely no strategy for planning. And when you do live there and realize that the roads will not be widened or lanes added for at least 10 more years, you will want to pull your hair out. 31 is a parking lot for at least 4 hours a day. I worked in Franklin and no matter what route I took I spent at least 45 minutes going and an hour coming during my commute. 11 miles away. They are building and building and putting houses and businesses in any old place they can find land to fit them with NO INFRASTRUCTURE to support the growth. Sometimes it would take me 15 minutes or more to get out of my neighborhood. The roads are narrow and have no shoulders and were not made for such a large amount of traffic. Yes, it's safe, and yes it's beautiful (for now - so many people moving in the beautiful hills are turning into the hills of California AKA: Tract housing).

It's a place you really need to spend more than 3 days in to get the full effect. Visit again and again and again. It's not the Tennessee I loved. It's just another soulless suburb without any type of intelligent planning and is headed for huge problems in the near future. People here don't want any other opinion than "it's utopia!". It's far, far from Utopia.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM

631 posts, read 1,584,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNSoundsGood2Me View Post

The Adelicia
Wedgewood Park Lofts
Encore Condominiums
West End Summit
Rhythm @ Music Row
The West End
Rolling Mill Hill

I remember hearing how awesome "The GULCH" was and how modern and urban it was. I made a trip down to "The Gulch" one night and laughed out loud to find this "urban" neighborhood was nothing more than one city block with a highrise, a night club and a Japanese restaurant. There's nothing in Nashville that will ever remotely be considered "urban" by people who have lived in cities with a real urban infrastructure. Nashville just wasn't built that way. You can throw up some condos here and add a few coffee shops there but that doesn't change the cityscape.

Plus I can't imagine how anyone would love living in a highrise and can see the massive landfill downtown and think it's worth the money.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 PM

22 posts, read 58,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I am going to give you an honest opinion about Spring Hill. I was born and raised in Middle TN and last September I decided to get out of Florida and come back home. I moved to Spring Hill and it was the worst decision I ever made. The city of Spring Hill has absolutely no strategy for planning. And when you do live there and realize that the roads will not be widened or lanes added for at least 10 more years, you will want to pull your hair out. 31 is a parking lot for at least 4 hours a day. I worked in Franklin and no matter what route I took I spent at least 45 minutes going and an hour coming during my commute. 11 miles away. They are building and building and putting houses and businesses in any old place they can find land to fit them with NO INFRASTRUCTURE to support the growth. Sometimes it would take me 15 minutes or more to get out of my neighborhood. The roads are narrow and have no shoulders and were not made for such a large amount of traffic. Yes, it's safe, and yes it's beautiful (for now - so many people moving in the beautiful hills are turning into the hills of California AKA: Tract housing).

It's a place you really need to spend more than 3 days in to get the full effect. Visit again and again and again. It's not the Tennessee I loved. It's just another soulless suburb without any type of intelligent planning and is headed for huge problems in the near future. People here don't want any other opinion than "it's utopia!". It's far, far from Utopia.

Of course, what is right for you may not be right for others. My family's needs are perfectly met in Spring Hill is all I'm saying. Doesn't mean it's right for you. As I said, this is MY opinion only. Some SH communities are definitely nicer than others and we are fortunate to have the opportunity to buy a really nice home with a beautiful piece of property and doing so in a buyers market no less!! My wife's employer is in the entertainment industry and has a huge spread 8 miles from where we want to buy!! I'm joining a flourishing business that's right next door. The schools are excellent. While you say they're not planning right, many working and living in the area disagree with your assessment. If you speak to a realtor in Nolensville or Franklin, they'll trash Spring Hill. (They did!) Of course they did... Spring Hill is competition!! For what it's worth, I believe FRANKLIN is the community that is under attack, not Spring Hill. Franklin has grown much too fast and it's zoning is only so big. I can't help but think Spring Hill and subdivisions like Nolensville will be learning from Franklin's mistakes. And as far as traffic, you are going WAAAY overboard in your assessment. I found the traffic to be extremely manageable... at ALL hours of the day. I found myself driving on 431 and the pleathera of countryside just blew me away. I think a car passed me going the other direction every 2 minutes. When I used the freeway Saturday morning, it took me 20 minutes to get from Spring Hill to Franklin. When we drove to Nashville on Saturday night , it took us 35 minutes. And that's during the 6pm-7pm hour. The traffic is nothing like it is here in LA. Not even remotely close. Now, are we moving there today? No. We have till next summer to move. Plenty of time to visit again and again. Heck, we may even decide to rent for a while just to make sure it's everything we want and need. But I saw Franklin. I saw Brentwood. I saw Nolensville. I saw Thompsons Station and Murfressboro. And for what our needs our, Spring Hill was the place we fell in love with, with Thompsons Station a close 2nd.

Again, many thanks for sharing your opinions.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:32 PM

158 posts, read 478,498 times
ahhhh....excuse me....I am a realtor (transplanted from CA)...living in Franklin..my office is in Brentwood...and I spend alot of time in Spring Hill and Murfreesboro with clients. I think that the ~good~ agents out there ...furnish all the choices for our clients.....and go with it...wherever and whatever suits their needs is the focus for me.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM

3,856 posts, read 6,586,685 times
blueyes-

Tried to give you rep but it said I have to spread it around first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville