Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 03:15 PM

216 posts, read 345,930 times

Advertisements

As I peruse through various homes for sale in and around the Nashville area, it appears quite common that large back yards, even huge back yards are not uncommon. Is this actually the case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 04:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
It totally depends on where you are.

Many of the older developments have one-acre lots, and the "one house per acre" density is the standard in Brentwood. But subdivisions built from the 1980s and beyond may have quarter-acre lots or less.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It totally depends on where you are.

Many of the older developments have one-acre lots, and the "one house per acre" density is the standard in Brentwood. But subdivisions built from the 1980s and beyond may have quarter-acre lots or less.
Even a quarter acre is quite large to me, but one acre is just crazy (in a good way). With your guys' growing season and lot sizes I stand a good chance of creating quite a landscape. Some of the gardens I've seen online look lush an beautiful. I gotta think you guys have some great soil in general.

Old 10-16-2011, 05:58 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,529,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
Even a quarter acre is quite large to me, but one acre is just crazy (in a good way). With your guys' growing season and lot sizes I stand a good chance of creating quite a landscape. Some of the gardens I've seen online look lush an beautiful. I gotta think you guys have some great soil in general.
The soil is awful. It is red clay, but the growing seasons are great. I do square foot gardening and I can usually do three "crops" a year

Old 10-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
The soil is awful. It is red clay, but the growing seasons are great. I do square foot gardening and I can usually do three "crops" a year
Blast! I want to plant a "grove" of bamboo pretty much immediately after buying whatever house we settle on in Nashville area.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,700,060 times
Wait, bamboo is the first thing you want to plant?

It does grow here, but it gets out of control pretty quickly.

But there are so many other choices. This is a good thread for reference, and it even has some photos, I believe.

Nashville Gardening 101 . . . SPRING ARRIVES!!!

Old 10-16-2011, 07:10 PM

Quote:

But there are so many other choices. This is a good thread for reference, and it even has some photos, I believe.

And I thank you. I would plant clumping bamboo - not the running kind.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:24 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,287,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It depends on where you are...

The red clay is pretty common...but it's really not hard to import some top soil in, especially for a limited area, like a garden. Once you get established, it's pretty easy to compost and replenish beds with new, good soil.

Vegetable gardens are pretty easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
Blast! I want to plant a "grove" of bamboo pretty much immediately after buying whatever house we settle on in Nashville area.
Quote:

Oh yeah...bamboo definitely grows here...

Old 10-16-2011, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post

Oh yeah...bamboo definitely grows here...
Awesome. I was going to start my landscaping project up here in Michigan this past season utilizing bamboo to create some outdoor "rooms", but figured why waste the money and what-not knowing we are focused on getting outta here.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:12 PM

940 posts, read 1,896,279 times
I grew up in West Meade in a house completed in 1955. Our lot was 1-1/4 acre because at the time, the area was unincorporated and there were no sewers and more land was required for septic systems. When Metro was approved (I was about 12) we became part of the city but it wasn't until the 70's or 80's way after my family left TN when West Meade was incorporated into the urban services district, and then sewers and streetlights came in - this last a real disappointment as one of the fabulous memories I have of growing up there is of walking around the huge block (almost 1 mile around) at night with my family and looking at the stars. There are lots of Nashville districts like this, ex. Forest Hills. There are not nearly as many large neighborhoods with big lots in Houston. The ones that are are not high end ones like some of those in Nashville, and tend to be middling desireability adjacent to some of the far-flung low-end areas where obviously cheap land made it possible in the old days to do this, and the city was not interested in annexing. Of course i exclude the close-in River Oaks where there are spectacular mansions on multi-acre heavily wooded lots. I think Houston was much more aggressive than Nashville in pushing annexation and services to the new neighborhoods in the 50's and 60's including sewer. BTW I recall no red clay in West Meade, good soil with lots of boulders that my father gradually removed. Keeping the one used for home plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville