Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Most will tell you that South Nashville along Old Hickory Blvd. is fine all the way to Nolensville Road. You can search this forum and find many threads that discuss that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 06:03 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,721,778 times
First, a million thanks, this is the feedback I've been looking for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTopaz1 View Post
Here are some basic thoughts - it's not as detailed as it could be regarding amenities, so I'm not sure if this will be of much help.

The Player's Club isn't in Brentwood - I guess you could consider it Brentioch, but I'd consider it to be straight up Nashville. You'll have a Nashville mailing address. It's not close to many of the other complexes you've mentioned, so you might want to figure out where you exactly want to live.
I'd read on other threads that those apartments weren't in Brentwood proper, but is is a nice area this "Brentioch" or are the ones in Franklin/Cool Springs a better neighborhood in terms of safety?

Quote:
The Preserve at Brentwood and Mission Brentwood are not located in Brentwood either, but also in the mythical Brentioch (Nashville mailing address). They are also much closer to The Player's Club than any of the other complexes.
Thanks! I might see if I can lump these into one visit since they're so close to each other.

Quote:
You're much closer to the airport at these three aforementioned complexes, and would be able to get to the airport via Harding/Donelson Pike without having to get on the interstate. However, depending on where you're coming from and if you'll be traveling during rush hour, this area can get pretty congested.
Thanks for the traffic tip, this is good to know. Luckily we'd be headed for the airport an hour or two before rush hour. But, roughly how many minutes would it tack on should we happen to hit rush hour? Are we talking 10 minutes or more?

Quote:
If you want to stay in Davidson County, there are a lot of complexes in this area you have left off of your list, so you should probably plug all of the complexes you are considering in to google maps and figure out what part of the area you are most interested in. This area is going to be less safe than Franklin or legit Brentwood, so seeing as you mentioned safety as a concern, it might be of consideration (I just want to make clear that I'm not suggesting you will be murdered or anything like that).
We have the feeling that we'd enjoy Nashville but we don't necessarily want to live too close to it since we're currently living in the densest urban location you can find, and we want to escape into the suburbs

Quote:
The Landings at Brentwood is actually in Brentwood/Cool Springs, but I didn't see this one mentioned on your list. I almost rented a unit out there about five years ago and found them to be nice - but obviously things can change in that period of time. I would check these out if I were you.
Thanks very much, I will add this one to the list. I really appreciate the input.

Quote:
For Franklin apts, is there a reason you've eliminated Dwell, Alara Cool Springs, or The Farms at Cool Springs (formerly Alara Farms)?
Just to keep the list shorter, they all seemed so similar and managed by the same company. It's very difficult to discern which of complexes are a better value from their websites alone.

Quote:
I would consider those (along with Wyndchase Aspen Grove) complexes to be the nicest complexes in Franklin.
Thanks, I'll take a closer look at those and see which ones on the list to swap out.

Quote:
There's also another new complex that's being built across from Nissan HQ on Carothers that looks to be pretty high class, but I don't know they name or if it's even open yet - they've done a horrible job at advertising it, especially as you can't see the complex from Carothers to know it's under construction.
I'll give em a call and see if they're going to be open next month when I drop by. I've got to admit that a brand new development is appealing (all nice and shiny).

Quote:
I know someone who lives in Dwell, and I've personally lived in Alara Cool Springs and The Farms at Cool Springs (when it was Alara Farms) and would 100% recommend all three of these. However, from personal experience I would NOT recommend Alara Brook (for the sake of clarity, this complex is located on the same street as the other two).
Thanks again! Did you have a bad experience at Alara Brook or was there something about the property that made it undesirable? How is the management on the Alara properties?

Quote:
Alara River Oaks is also nice and worth a look, it's just a bit further out than the others (not a bad thing). Depending on where you exactly want to be, I'd give these a look.
As long as the commute time from the airport is around a half hour, it's game!

Quote:
I viewed an apartment at Viera Cool Springs back when it was known as Franklin Oaks, and they seemed to be fine, but just a little small. I believe the new management company has done some interior upgrades, and I know they have painted the exteriors. They are the only apartments to my knowledge to have screened in balconies. This complex seems to tend to have a lot of college/young students.
I'd heard a lot of mention of "the Oaks" being a good value, but I'm not sure which complex since there's a few complexes with "Oak" in the title- would this complex fit the description? Thank you for mentioning the college students, that is something to consider. I don't mind college kids as long as they're behaved, but if this complex is on the noisy side on weekends and nights that may put it in a negative light. This is something to investigate

Quote:
I've also been into Carrington Hills (again, years ago), but I don't remember much about them other than thinking they were nice. However, they are situated on a large/steep hill, so I assume it's problematic on icy days. Not that this area is the frozen tundra, but if you are timid in the snow it might be something to take into consideration.

Royal Oaks of Franklin is an older complex, but I've never been inside. From the street, they look to be fairly spacious but maybe a little more ‘no-frills’ than the others.
Thanks, I do want to check this out just to see what they offer. I'm more concerned with apartment amenities rather than the complex amenities. So if "no frills" applies to community amenities like a lack of a gym, smaller pool, no recreation room, then that would be just fine too.

Quote:
All complexes are going to be close to restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores, etc. Some are further away than others, but it's not going to take you 20 minutes to get to Publix or Kroger.

One thing I didn't see you mention - for most (all?) of these complexes you will be required to provide proof of renter's insurance, so you'll want to take that into consideration and will need to have that lined up before they give you the keys.
Not a problem, we currently have renters insurance even though it is not required and we planned on continuing that even if we move. You never know when your neighbor might be a pyro, or if a tornado decides to veer into your building.

Last edited by Alkonost; 10-24-2011 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: typose

Old 10-24-2011, 06:41 PM

3,043 posts, read 3,311,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Anyone have any feeback on the apartment complexes I've listed?

The Preserve at Brentwood
The Players Club at Brentwood
Mission Brentwood
Alara River Oaks
Vierra Cool Springs
Carrington Hills
Wyndchase Aspen Grove
Royal Oaks of Franklin

We're going to be visiting in a couple of weeks, so I'd like to narrow the list down to the 4 best ones.

Thanks!
Don't know much about the apartments in question except to see if they are part of a larger chain? They may have similar properties in other areas of the city. The Wyndchase in Aspen Grove may have another complex near me in Bellevue. We have several apartments near Old Hickory & US70S. From here it is a short drive (depending on traffic) over to Old Hickory & Franklin Pk. You should be able to surf the net to see how many properties each may have in Nashville. You may also find a copy of the Tennessean's FYI guide to the city. A good relo agency should have a copy.

Something to find out is if they are gated or not. The gated ones may be as "safe" as the fence. You may never know about your neighbor. For security, you may want to check how many back windows are on the ground floor. Thieves can get in the back way & get something from a bedroom.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Don't know much about the apartments in question except to see if they are part of a larger chain? They may have similar properties in other areas of the city. The Wyndchase in Aspen Grove may have another complex near me in Bellevue. We have several apartments near Old Hickory & US70S. From here it is a short drive (depending on traffic) over to Old Hickory & Franklin Pk. You should be able to surf the net to see how many properties each may have in Nashville. You may also find a copy of the Tennessean's FYI guide to the city. A good relo agency should have a copy.

Something to find out is if they are gated or not. The gated ones may be as "safe" as the fence. You may never know about your neighbor. For security, you may want to check how many back windows are on the ground floor. Thieves can get in the back way & get something from a bedroom.
We'd never rent a ground floor apartment, that we know about (we live in NYC). As for neighbors, there's not much we can do about that, it's a risk you take with renting. Though if anyone breaks in while I'm home they'll have several rounds of buckshot to welcome them in.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:06 PM

Just wanted to post my revised list (I've shuffled some around thanks to recommendations) but I still need to pair things down to 4 or 5, looking for feedback if anyone wants to chime in. Since all of these are recommended and VERY nice, we're trying to get a feel for which ones are a better value. There's just so many good choices! Not that it's a bad thing but we only have so much time in Nashville when we finally visit, so we need to chop two off the list.

On the list:
Alara River Oaks
Alara Cool Springs (this one may be taken off the list, not much different from the Oaks but prices are higher and we're not sure why)
Mission Brentwood (this one may be taken off the list, but we'd like to see what is available closer to the airport)
Preserve at Brentwood
The Landings at Brentwood
Carrington Hills
Wyndchase

Off the list:
The Player's club (no dishwasher on list of apt. amenities- that's a necessity for us)
The Farms at Cool Springs (while this looks very nice, we are questioning whether is is a good value compared to competing apartment complexes)
Royal Oaks (can't find enough info on the floorplans to make a decision)
Viera Cool springs (college students = noisy?)
Dwell (nice but this is the opposite of what we're looking for. We're trying to escape the dense city atmoshere, but Dwell's design seems to aim for just that)

Our top apartment amenities are:
1) Dishwasher
2) Central AC for the HOT summers.
3) WD hookup
4) 2br/2ba wing layout with enough free space for a home office somewhere in the floorplan.
5) Nice kitchen, good size (love to cook).
6) Well maintained, on-site maintenance crew

Pools, media rooms, coffee bars inside the complex, etc is nice to have, but not deal breakers for us. However, peace and quiet is.

We're not looking to settle down in an apartment long term, just rent for a year or two while we look for something to buy (or maybe build). While we could splurge for the priciest complex out there, we're also considering value so we can live a little bit below our means and stash some money towards our future home purchase (or land purchase to have one built). Buying a house is one thing, but there's always miscellaneous costs like furniture to take care of

So far the Landings seem like the best value on paper but I need to call them to find out if there's central AC or if we'd have to buy window ACs.

Last edited by Alkonost; 10-27-2011 at 10:40 PM..

Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
The Landings units have central A/C. We have had several friends live there over the years (but not recently). I cannot imagine any apartment complex around here that would not have A/C. It is such a given that it would be like a hotel advertising "color TV and Hi-fi."

The Alara Farms and Cool Springs complexes are priced higher because of location and because they are zoned for Brentwood elementary and middle schools. You also would not have to get on the interstate way down at Highway 96 in Franklin like you would if you lived at Royal Oaks.

I honestly think value can only be determined by you when you see the complexes and their locations.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The Landings units have central A/C. We have had several friends live there over the years (but not recently). I cannot imagine any apartment complex around here that would not have A/C. It is such a given that it would be like a hotel advertising "color TV and Hi-fi."

The Alara Farms and Cool Springs complexes are priced higher because of location and because they are zoned for Brentwood elementary and middle schools. You also would not have to get on the interstate way down at Highway 96 in Franklin like you would if you lived at Royal Oaks.

I honestly think value can only be determined by you when you see the complexes and their locations.
Thanks! That explains the price difference, we hadn't thought about the school district boundaries. Since we don't have kids yet, we can probably scratch alara cool springs off the list, if the price is high due to the schools it would be wasted money for us.

Final list:
Alara River Oaks
Mission Brentwood
Preserve at Brentwood
The Landings at Brentwood
Carrington Hills
Wyndchase

That still leaves one apartment complex to scratch off the list, but I am going to be calling each of the management offices with a list of questions- the info I get may help with eliminating the final one.

Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:41 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times
We almost rented at Wyndchase. The models are the best of any in the area (and we looked at everything in Franklin/Coolsprings). We were driving around and talking to people and found several units open in different areas and walked in. They were dumps!! In one we found workers getting an apt ready for a tenant arriving that day and we were shocked at how dirty and run down it looked. We finally rented a townhouse from an individual in Brentwood (corner of Nolensville Rd and Concord Rd.)
Do your best to talk your way into an actual rental apt in whichever complex you choose. I know the models are furnished, but there is often a big difference in the real deal.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post
We almost rented at Wyndchase. The models are the best of any in the area (and we looked at everything in Franklin/Coolsprings). We were driving around and talking to people and found several units open in different areas and walked in. They were dumps!! In one we found workers getting an apt ready for a tenant arriving that day and we were shocked at how dirty and run down it looked. We finally rented a townhouse from an individual in Brentwood (corner of Nolensville Rd and Concord Rd.)
Do your best to talk your way into an actual rental apt in whichever complex you choose. I know the models are furnished, but there is often a big difference in the real deal.
Hi,

Do you remember which apartment complexes looked dumpy?

Old 11-06-2011, 05:04 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,025,114 times
The only two complexes were we saw empty apartments were Wyndchase and the first complex on the right on Gillespie (off Carruthers).
We realllllly wanted to move to Franklin/Cool Springs and was very disappointed we couldn't find what we wanted. But, it could have been the time we were looking, etc. I'm not trying to be negative, just want you to check out all your options, ask questions and try to look at an actual rental. The models are lived in so they always look good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville