Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 11:38 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
Nobody goes to these games. To say "It's Nashville's team" is funny. Less than 5,000 people out of over 1.5 million in the Nashville area come to each game.

Analysis: Nashville Sounds near bottom in AAA attendance - Nashville Business Journal

They need a nice small 10,000 seat stadium in the suburbs.
And how many of those 5,000 are from Williamson County? Are there chartered buses that bring hundreds of Williamson County folks to Greer Stadium? What about corporate sponsors? How many Williamson County (or any suburban county) businesses are sponsors of the Nashville Sounds? Next time you're at Greer Stadium try and count how many advertisements come from non-Davidson County businesses. The Sounds are clearly Nashville's team, not Franklin's. If Williamson County wants the Sounds that badly, they need to pony up and start showing more support for the Sounds right now.

If the argument is "well Franklin is only 20 minutes from downtown Nashville" then that argument goes both ways; if 20 minutes isn't too much to ask of Nashvillians to go to Franklin to see a game, 20 minutes shouldn't be too much to ask of Franklinites (or whatever they're called) to go to Nashville to see a game. And since they aren't, and since Williamson County businesses aren't paying to sponsor the Sounds, there's no reason on earth why Williamson County should be rewarded the AAA franchise.

I think having 5,000 at a game in a decrepit, crumbling stadium in a shady part of town that's not easy to find is pretty darn good, and it's probably about 4,000 more than there'd be if the stadium were in Franklin.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The stadium doesn't have to be in Williamson County to be successful. As we prove every day, Williamson County residents are happy to drive north for entertainment. I know it's not one of the options, but all the current proposed "options" are the MOST expensive options to propose to a tax-wary, stadium-weary electorate. Improving Greer could help revitalize the entire Wedgewood/Chestnut area and "spread the wealth" rather than forcing us all downtown into the same bars/restaurants/roadways.
To me, "questionable industrial area" means "ripe for redevelopment." The Sounds owners could partner with other neighborhood developers and business owners and build just ONE retail/restaurant center near the stadium. This would attract patrons/revenue and surrounding properties could be improved.
As has been proven with 12 South, you can rally behind a cool name and concept. Really, there is not much in the 12 South area except some "cool" small businesses and lots of older, renovation-worthy homes.
As for Greer, brand it and they will come.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The stadium doesn't have to be in Williamson County to be successful. As we prove every day, Williamson County residents are happy to drive north for entertainment. I know it's not one of the options, but all the current proposed "options" are the MOST expensive options to propose to a tax-wary, stadium-weary electorate. Improving Greer could help revitalize the entire Wedgewood/Chestnut area and "spread the wealth" rather than forcing us all downtown into the same bars/restaurants/roadways.
To me, "questionable industrial area" means "ripe for redevelopment." The Sounds owners could partner with other neighborhood developers and business owners and build just ONE retail/restaurant center near the stadium. This would attract patrons/revenue and surrounding properties could be improved.
As has been proven with 12 South, you can rally behind a cool name and concept. Really, there is not much in the 12 South area except some "cool" small businesses and lots of older, renovation-worthy homes.
As for Greer, brand it and they will come.
I understand the sentiment of not having another heavily tax payer funded stadium. I'm fine with a little public involvement, but I think the primary source of funding should be private.

Where I disagree with you is about the revitalization of the Wedgewood Chestnut area. I think that there are some uses that could "help" the area...but I don't think that (in the near future) will be an easy place to brand and redevelop. The example with 12th South doesn't exactly fit. 12th South had all of the bones to be the neighborhood it is today. The housing stock was there...a lot of the buildings businesses are in were already there. Buildings just had to be remodeled and motivated residents needed to move in.

The area right around Greer isn't abandoned. It's just....industrial. Yes, the 8th Ave area down to Wedgewood could be a potential candidate for redevelopment...but will that really have much affect on the stadium? Like I was saying before, the interstate and railroad tracks create a physical barrier around the stadium site...so even if you redeveloped adjacent areas, it would have a disjointed feel to it. I'm not saying it can't be done...I just don't see it being an easy task to convince developers that the area is as prime to redevelop as you say. Visibility and access are two things going against that area.

I also think that anything that can be done to clean up the east bank of the Cumberland could only be a good thing in the end. The metal scrapyard is an eyesore, and one that travelers notice immediately after they cross the river. Image and perception may not be the most important things for a city...but for a city that benefits greatly from tourist dollars, an investment in image is an investment in the city's well being.

JMO.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:01 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,883 times
Not sure if anyone remembers but Hendersonville ran a serious campaign around 2001 to lure the Sounds away from Nashville. The city and county were ready to put up some serious money to make it happen but one of the ultimate reasons it did not happen was because it wouldn't be centrally located. I'm glad it didn't happen then and hope it won't happen now. I like the East Bank and Sulpher Dell better than the current location because it would have more of an impact in those locations and have much greater visibility for tourists.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:36 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And how many of those 5,000 are from Williamson County? Are there chartered buses that bring hundreds of Williamson County folks to Greer Stadium? What about corporate sponsors? How many Williamson County (or any suburban county) businesses are sponsors of the Nashville Sounds? Next time you're at Greer Stadium try and count how many advertisements come from non-Davidson County businesses. The Sounds are clearly Nashville's team, not Franklin's. If Williamson County wants the Sounds that badly, they need to pony up and start showing more support for the Sounds right now.
Why would corporations want to sponsor a team in a decrepit stadium sitting in an undesirable part of the city? Who on earth wants to be driving around Greer Stadium at 10:00 at night after the end of another game? Sheesh.

As an owner of the Sounds, you would probably get many affluent families from Williamson County willing to have a family night out at the ballpark if it was close. Right now, I'm sure the number that wish to take their family to Greer on a regular basis is close to zero.

I have no idea if Williamson County wants minor league baseball at all. I'm simply trying to say that I think it is a viable option. I live in Williamson County and wouldn't want a stadium at McEwen and I-65. I also wouldn't be attending any boring as hell baseball games.

What I am saying is that financially speaking, I believe that the owners of the Sounds could get far more return on their investment by having a stadium in the suburbs. Corporations could have numerous outings and families could safely come out to a game.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:53 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Why would corporations want to sponsor a team in a decrepit stadium sitting in an undesirable part of the city? Who on earth wants to be driving around Greer Stadium at 10:00 at night after the end of another game? Sheesh.
....that's why they're looking to move to a new ballpark in a more desirable part of the city.

And it's a more central location and more visible location for a lot more people than any spot in the suburbs could be. Sure, a nice quiet suburban park will be easily accessible for all of the affluent Williamson County families...but what about everyone else? What are people willing to drive to games...30-40 minutes? Which location offers access to more people 30-40 minutes away?

I don't think that translates to a good ROI for the Sounds owners.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:43 PM

201 posts, read 320,062 times
Quote:
Well the obvious answer would be to market their product to the folks in attendance every game.

I left a city that allowed a poor facility and a fight over who would invest in the rebuilding of it basically ship their AAA team out of town. Be a shame now that I'm back in a PCL town to have another one slip away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville