Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 PM

201 posts, read 319,908 times

Advertisements

We got into a discussion tonight with a couple of other families about the safety for kids playing outside. One family said they never let their kids play in the front without one of them standing there to watch. I know it depends on your neighborhood of course, how busy things are for traffic/whatnot, and that bad things can happen anywhere at anytime. Just trying to see what the thoughts are around the board for folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
A parent has to stand there to watch them play??!!

How is the kid EVER going to learn to trust his own instincts and decision-making skills?

For people who are afraid to let their kids play in the front yard, I offer this website:

FreeRangeKids

The mods are probably going to move this to the parenting forum unless we make it Nashville-area specific. So here's my take. I live in a Brentwood neighborhood that is located between two interstate exits. A kidnapper could easily drive up, grab my kid and be on I-65 headed to Alabama in 5 minutes. So I told my child that if a car slows down in front of the house, he should not go toward it no matter what they say. He should move toward the house, or come inside if they stop. An adult who is truly lost and needs directions etc. will never ask a child for help. I told him he doesn't have to answer a question from someone he doesn't know who stops him on the street.

The kid with the highest ACT scores won't stand a chance if he has no street smarts. And he'll never get street-smart if he has to turn and look at his ever-present mom or dad every time he has to make a decision.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-11-2011 at 07:53 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 11:08 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
I don't have kids but have seen a LOT of unaccompanied kids playing outside or walking over to Publix here at Fieldstone Farms in Franklin. Also walking around downtown Franklin or the mall. The children who get snatched makes for huge headlines but for every one that misfortune touches, there are MILLIONS out there playing hop scotch (who am I kidding, who plays hopscotch anymore?)

Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM

957 posts, read 3,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
And he'll never get street-smart if he has to turn and look at his ever-present mom or dad every time he has to make a decision.
Street smarts are a thing of the past with today's youth. All these anti-bullying rules and WAY over protective parents are turning this country's youth into a bunch of pansies. When I was in school and you got bullied, you took care of it. Parents taught us how to deal with life, not run from it and expect someone else to fight your battles.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:31 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
Street smarts are a thing of the past with today's youth. All these anti-bullying rules and WAY over protective parents are turning this country's youth into a bunch of pansies. When I was in school and you got bullied, you took care of it. Parents taught us how to deal with life, not run from it and expect someone else to fight your battles.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:25 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,931 times
My neighborhood in Franklin has a lot of kids playing outside without adult supervision. Mostly 7+ year olds

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

We have a "no playing alone" rule that we had before for when the kids played out front of our old house but being new to the area and hearing this from other parents that aren't that far away (we're in Nolensville and they are in Spring Hill/Thompson Station) being much more protective I didn't want to be the naive new folks that just don't understand.

I grew up when we left the house in the morning with a bag lunch and didn't come back until supper all summer long so I didn't have a problem with the kids riding their bikes outside or playing beside the house. Not like we're nowhere to be seen just with unpacking and organizing the place it's been nice to get 15 minutes in a row without a kid underfoot!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:03 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
It all depends on the neighborhood. Even in Hendersonville there are areas I wouldn't let my kids play in due to high traffic or general safety. And Hendersonville is usually considered a "safe" area.

My kids are too young to play without supervision right now but as they age, I won't have a problem with them being unsupervised provided that a) I know where they are and b) they can be trusted to be where they're supposed to be and with who they're supposed to be with. We live in a very kid-friendly neighborhood, but as Wmsn4Life alluded to...it can happen anywhere and in fact "kid friendly" neighborhoods are probably bigger targets than most. As long as my kids are not alone and understand how to react to danger/predators, I'm cool with it.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 PM

Of course right after I post this there's two stories of kids being approached in LaVernge.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
I guess we should ask if we're being paranoid enough in this risk-averse society.

This essay deals with this subject very well.

“Times Have Changed!” Shriek Parents Afraid to Let Their Kids Outside. But… « FreeRangeKids (http://freerangekids.wordpress.com/2011/10/03/times-have-changed-shriek-parents-afraid-to-let-their-kids-outside-but/ - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville