Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 17,782 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone, I just joined City Data because I found out my husband might be relocated to Tennesse for a position an open position at his job. He brought this up on Tuesday...yikeees!! Anyway, I was wondering if you could help me, he travels for his job so he told me to research Spring Hill and Franklin and they both sound good so far for what I have googled but I would like some information from REAL people who live there and get to see things and do things etc...

We are thinking of those two cities but we are open to any other suggestions, we like to be close to a big city but not live in it thats kind of how we are now we live close to Chicago so we get to go there when we feel like it and we love living in the suburbs because it is a little more kid friendly in my eyes and we do have a 2yr old.

Im assuming that my husband picked those two cities because they would be centrally located to the region he would be given at work.

So please help us, I am desperate for info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 03:10 PM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Sounds like he did a fantastic job of selecting a city that meets your criteria. Franklin is a very popular neighboring city of Nashville. It is not a "suburb" necessarily...although some might call it that, but Franklin is large enough to be its own small town. Many people find it to be a quaint city, especially the downtown square. The schools there are excellent and the demographics tend to be middle/upper-middle to upper class althought it is not an exclusive community at all. Finally, there is a very large commercial shopping area called Cool Springs in Franklin that has absolutely anything you'd want,

And Franklin is an easy driving distance to Nashvillle-proper if you wanted do stuff there. However, Nashville is not Chicago by any stretch of the imagination. So if you love certain "big city" things about Chicago, you might not get them in Nashville. Still, Nashville is a very good city and has become to thousands of transplants from other areas who find it suits them just fine.

I know very little about Spring Hill...it is a new community and has had tremendous population growth (and experienced the growth pains that correspond to that). Generally speaking, it is a little more affordable than Franklin. I think it's fine...I have a friend that lives there and loves it...but if I were to choose between the 2, Franklin wins hands-down.

Hope that helps and good luck with the move! Let us know if we can help answer any other questions.

Old 12-21-2011, 03:24 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabytwogood View Post
Hello to everyone, I just joined City Data because I found out my husband might be relocated to Tennesse for a position an open position at his job. He brought this up on Tuesday...yikeees!! Anyway, I was wondering if you could help me, he travels for his job so he told me to research Spring Hill and Franklin and they both sound good so far for what I have googled but I would like some information from REAL people who live there and get to see things and do things etc...

We are thinking of those two cities but we are open to any other suggestions, we like to be close to a big city but not live in it thats kind of how we are now we live close to Chicago so we get to go there when we feel like it and we love living in the suburbs because it is a little more kid friendly in my eyes and we do have a 2yr old.

Im assuming that my husband picked those two cities because they would be centrally located to the region he would be given at work.

So please help us, I am desperate for info.
It sounds like your husband will be driving when he does his traveling. If that's the case, and if those cities are centrally located, then I say go for it. As DonCorleone mentioned, they are very different in that Spring Hill has sprung up overnight (went from a population of 7,000 in 2000 to 30,000 today) whereas Franklin, although also fast-growing, has been around since before the Civil War and has a very historic, very nice downtown. But living in Franklin isn't cheap, although many argue it's worth it because of its top-notch city school system, its closer proximity to Nashville, and its seemingly unlimited supply of shopping and dining options.

If you do decide on Spring Hill, stick to the Williamson County side as it has the better schools.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 12-21-2011, 03:37 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
From Franklin to the airport (if his work travel includes flying) is 20 minutes non-rush hour. Add another 20 for Spring Hill. You didn't say if you were buying or renting but if you are buying you will get much more house for your $$$$ in Spring Hill. BUT you will be further from any 'action'. Do take JMTs suggestion to stick with Williamson County for the schools.

To get an idea how far your housing dollar will do check:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Property Finder

There are SOME rentals listed as well.

If you know your budget for housing, you might get some more specific suggestions. Note there is little in the way of public transportation here. Walkable suburbs (like walking to shops) are few and far between if even rare.

Best of luck with your move!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:07 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
If he travels (drives) a lot, I think Franklin, Spring Hill, or Thompson's Station (in between the two) would be good options. Spring Hill is a little far out for my taste, because I like taking advantage of all of the amenities and entertainment associated with Nashville...though Franklin isn't too far and downtown Franklin and Cool Springs (north side of Franklin) offer a ton of amenities and options as well.

Of course, that would bring me to the point...I wouldn't live in Spring Hill if I could afford to live in Franklin. Why be further away from amenities if you can help it?

Spring Hill isn't a bad place. As JMT said, it has about 30,000 people...but it doesn't feel like it. It has a one street, about 4-5 block downtown strip (of small town shops/businesses) and shopping centers on each end....and a lot of houses. The problem I have with Spring Hill (aside from the distance from Nashville) is that the infrastructure is severely lacking IMO. I'm not talking about police or fire protection (I'm not sure how those are, to be honest)...but rather roads. Spring Hill is primarily made up of 2 lane country roads with large subdivisions on them....and not a whole lot of traffic lights to go along with that. Basically, traffic can be pretty frustrating for a town that size at certain times of day. And it is only getting worse. The benefit is that you have Saturn Parkway (near the county line) that is essentially an interstate spur...so getting to the interstate isn't a very big deal. At least not at this time.

Franklin is a little more than twice as big as Spring Hill...but it feels 5 times as big, because of the much greater number of shopping, dining, and entertainment opportunities. Cool Springs is the largest retail district in the state, and can pretty much satisfy any need you can think of. Traffic can be a little crazy at times...but you are closer to a lot more amenities in Franklin.

If the proximity to those amenities aren't as important to you, and you would prefer to be in a little bit quieter of a setting (maybe bigger lots, or not so many neighbors), you might check out Thompson's Station. Thompson's Station isn't very far from Franklin, so you can use Franklin's amenities when you need them...but it is strategically placed between Spring Hill and Franklin, off of I-65, and along the axis of Tennessee 840, which is a freeway bypass of Nashville that connects you to the east and I-65, I-24 (Murfreesboro and towards Manchester and Chattanooga), and I-40 (Lebanon, and towards Cookeville/Crossville/Knoxville), and will soon connect to to the west side of I-40 (Dickson, and towards Memphis, Jackson, and West Tennessee). If your husband is going to be doing a lot of car traveling, having access to that road could be very beneficial in quickly getting around to those different areas to the east, south, and west without having to go through Nashville traffic. It's definitely something to consider.

Of course, it wouldn't be difficult to access from Franklin or Spring Hill, either...but the convenience of location from Thompson's Station (or south of Franklin) wouldn't be matched in that regard.

My question for you (and your husband) would be: what exactly are you looking for in a city, town, or community? What do you want or need to be close to? What sort of budget do you have in mind? Will your husband be doing a lot of airport travel as well? Giving us a brief but specific account of your wants, needs, and desires can help us make sure that you and your family make the right decision for your situation. Don't be afraid to list your fears and concerns, either, because we are here to help you...some of those concerns may be valid, or may not. We want you to make a well-informed decision...even if it is going to be on short notice!

I think you have a pretty good starting point right now when it comes down to being close enough to the city...but there are a lot of potential options to consider. What exactly you are looking for may fit Franklin or Spring Hill, but you may find another area more suited for your liking.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Either Spring Hill or Franklin will be a big step up fro Joliet. Driving into Nashville for sports/entertainment is very convenient. Driving to Cool Spring mall area will take care of most of your shopping needs. You may like Kroger or Publix for grocery. We seem to have the same Walgreen's everywhere.

Once 840 opens between 65 & 40 to the west, you will be able to get nearly anywhere in the state without driving downtown. TN has a lot to explore.

something you will leave behind is the months of winter & high crime areas of Joliet.

Old 12-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
Sounds like he did a fantastic job of selecting a city that meets your criteria. Franklin is a very popular neighboring city of Nashville. It is not a "suburb" necessarily...although some might call it that, but Franklin is large enough to be its own small town. Many people find it to be a quaint city, especially the downtown square. The schools there are excellent and the demographics tend to be middle/upper-middle to upper class althought it is not an exclusive community at all. Finally, there is a very large commercial shopping area called Cool Springs in Franklin that has absolutely anything you'd want,

And Franklin is an easy driving distance to Nashvillle-proper if you wanted do stuff there. However, Nashville is not Chicago by any stretch of the imagination. So if you love certain "big city" things about Chicago, you might not get them in Nashville. Still, Nashville is a very good city and has become to thousands of transplants from other areas who find it suits them just fine.

I know very little about Spring Hill...it is a new community and has had tremendous population growth (and experienced the growth pains that correspond to that). Generally speaking, it is a little more affordable than Franklin. I think it's fine...I have a friend that lives there and loves it...but if I were to choose between the 2, Franklin wins hands-down.

Hope that helps and good luck with the move! Let us know if we can help answer any other questions.

Thank you for your answer, are Franklin and Spring Hill close to each other?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
It sounds like your husband will be driving when he does his traveling. If that's the case, and if those cities are centrally located, then I say go for it. As DonCorleone mentioned, they are very different in that Spring Hill has sprung up overnight (went from a population of 7,000 in 2000 to 30,000 today) whereas Franklin, although also fast-growing, has been around since before the Civil War and has a very historic, very nice downtown. But living in Franklin isn't cheap, although many argue it's worth it because of its top-notch city school system, its closer proximity to Nashville, and its seemingly unlimited supply of shopping and dining options.

If you do decide on Spring Hill, stick to the Williamson County side as it has the better schools.

Thanks you, yes I know we still have a wile to worry about schools so thank you for that tip.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
If he travels (drives) a lot, I think Franklin, Spring Hill, or Thompson's Station (in between the two) would be good options. Spring Hill is a little far out for my taste, because I like taking advantage of all of the amenities and entertainment associated with Nashville...though Franklin isn't too far and downtown Franklin and Cool Springs (north side of Franklin) offer a ton of amenities and options as well.

Of course, that would bring me to the point...I wouldn't live in Spring Hill if I could afford to live in Franklin. Why be further away from amenities if you can help it?

Spring Hill isn't a bad place. As JMT said, it has about 30,000 people...but it doesn't feel like it. It has a one street, about 4-5 block downtown strip (of small town shops/businesses) and shopping centers on each end....and a lot of houses. The problem I have with Spring Hill (aside from the distance from Nashville) is that the infrastructure is severely lacking IMO. I'm not talking about police or fire protection (I'm not sure how those are, to be honest)...but rather roads. Spring Hill is primarily made up of 2 lane country roads with large subdivisions on them....and not a whole lot of traffic lights to go along with that. Basically, traffic can be pretty frustrating for a town that size at certain times of day. And it is only getting worse. The benefit is that you have Saturn Parkway (near the county line) that is essentially an interstate spur...so getting to the interstate isn't a very big deal. At least not at this time.

Franklin is a little more than twice as big as Spring Hill...but it feels 5 times as big, because of the much greater number of shopping, dining, and entertainment opportunities. Cool Springs is the largest retail district in the state, and can pretty much satisfy any need you can think of. Traffic can be a little crazy at times...but you are closer to a lot more amenities in Franklin.

If the proximity to those amenities aren't as important to you, and you would prefer to be in a little bit quieter of a setting (maybe bigger lots, or not so many neighbors), you might check out Thompson's Station. Thompson's Station isn't very far from Franklin, so you can use Franklin's amenities when you need them...but it is strategically placed between Spring Hill and Franklin, off of I-65, and along the axis of Tennessee 840, which is a freeway bypass of Nashville that connects you to the east and I-65, I-24 (Murfreesboro and towards Manchester and Chattanooga), and I-40 (Lebanon, and towards Cookeville/Crossville/Knoxville), and will soon connect to to the west side of I-40 (Dickson, and towards Memphis, Jackson, and West Tennessee). If your husband is going to be doing a lot of car traveling, having access to that road could be very beneficial in quickly getting around to those different areas to the east, south, and west without having to go through Nashville traffic. It's definitely something to consider.

Of course, it wouldn't be difficult to access from Franklin or Spring Hill, either...but the convenience of location from Thompson's Station (or south of Franklin) wouldn't be matched in that regard.

My question for you (and your husband) would be: what exactly are you looking for in a city, town, or community? What do you want or need to be close to? What sort of budget do you have in mind? Will your husband be doing a lot of airport travel as well? Giving us a brief but specific account of your wants, needs, and desires can help us make sure that you and your family make the right decision for your situation. Don't be afraid to list your fears and concerns, either, because we are here to help you...some of those concerns may be valid, or may not. We want you to make a well-informed decision...even if it is going to be on short notice!

I think you have a pretty good starting point right now when it comes down to being close enough to the city...but there are a lot of potential options to consider. What exactly you are looking for may fit Franklin or Spring Hill, but you may find another area more suited for your liking.

You know what....thank you soooo much!! I will show him this tonigh or tomorrow and we can disscuss it because finding City-data was a fluke and I am very happy I did. All of you are helping me with your answers. Ill get back to you.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Either Spring Hill or Franklin will be a big step up fro Joliet. Driving into Nashville for sports/entertainment is very convenient. Driving to Cool Spring mall area will take care of most of your shopping needs. You may like Kroger or Publix for grocery. We seem to have the same Walgreen's everywhere.

Once 840 opens between 65 & 40 to the west, you will be able to get nearly anywhere in the state without driving downtown. TN has a lot to explore.

something you will leave behind is the months of winter & high crime areas of Joliet.

Are you from around here? I am closer to Shorewood and Plainfield so thankfully I dont see anything or hear any of the crime. I like it here but I hate the weather so that will be nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville