Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 03:28 PM

216 posts, read 346,659 times

Advertisements

If all goes well, both my wife's and my own interviews will go well at Vanderbilt next Friday and we'll be out of Detroit in a matter of weeks; instead enjoying the Music City - not the Motor City.

Check out the clip from my local news station

Ring of Gunfire: Detroit EMS Unit Stranded on New Year's Eve (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com//dpp/news/local/detroit-ems-rig-stranded-as-gunfire-rings-in-the-new-year-20120103-ms - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM

124 posts, read 334,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
If all goes well, both my wife's and my own interviews will go well at Vanderbilt next Friday and we'll be out of Detroit in a matter of weeks; instead enjoying the Music City - not the Motor City.

Check out the clip from my local news station

Ring of Gunfire: Detroit EMS Unit Stranded on New Year's Eve (http://www.myfoxdetroit.com//dpp/news/local/detroit-ems-rig-stranded-as-gunfire-rings-in-the-new-year-20120103-ms - broken link)
Oh God, and that's where I may be heading!:ee k:

Old 01-07-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post

Oh God, and that's where I may be heading!:ee k:
Good Lord, why would you do that to yourself?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:05 PM

124 posts, read 334,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy2022 View Post
Good Lord, why would you do that to yourself?
Because the company that hired my husband last year decided he was too much for the company (he was hired to replace the SVP of marketing) because the SVP decided that (at 63) he no longer wanted to retire but stay on since the stock was doing so well.

It's an "at will" work state. Totally legal, but it sure hurt and came as a surprise. Now we're scrambling to find another job. It's scary when a company can do that without reason 2 weeks before Christmas!

There's a job opportunity in Farmington Hills. You will LOVE Nashville, I can't think of a bad thing about it.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movestoomuch View Post
Because the company that hired my husband last year decided he was too much for the company (he was hired to replace the SVP of marketing) because the SVP decided that (at 63) he no longer wanted to retire but stay on since the stock was doing so well.

It's an "at will" work state. Totally legal, but it sure hurt and came as a surprise. Now we're scrambling to find another job. It's scary when a company can do that without reason 2 weeks before Christmas!

There's a job opportunity in Farmington Hills. You will LOVE Nashville, I can't think of a bad thing about it.
Awe, thanks for the words of encouragement. You'll be good in Farmington Hills (FH). Southfield is just a bit "down the road" and has slowly become kind of sketchy, but not completely horrible. FH, on the other hand, has always been sort of a desireable area for both blue and white collar. You will be surprised at how cheap the houses are, I'm guessing. Everything west of there is fine for the most part. Seems like everyone is flocking to that area - the sprawl continues that started in the 60's and 70's and now continues due to housing prices being cut in half and people that previously would not be able to afford it migrating from the inner city to the burbs. There's an IKEA in the Canton/Novi area that will be around 20 to 30 minutes from you guys. FH has recently put some money into refurbishing their dowtown area and will probably strike you as quaint.

Sorry to hear your husband got bumped due to the old man. Those scenarios always get me fired up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville