Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2012, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,934 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a 25 year old female relocating to Nashville. I don't know much about the city & I am not having much luck finding a place via Craigslist. However, I did find a house I am interested in on 11th Ave N. I was hoping someone would be able to tell me a bit about this area & if you think I would feel safe living there. Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2012, 09:17 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
"11th Ave N" is about 3 miles long and spans 4-5 distinct and pretty different neighborhoods.

Old 01-09-2012, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,934 times
right. my bad.
the cross streets are coffee & buchanan

Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM

455 posts, read 637,956 times
CrimeMapping.com - National Map

That is the crime map. Zoom in, and you can also adjust the date range.

Admittedly, I am not familiar with that particular block, but I probably wouldn't feel terribly safe living in that area.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:38 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
It really depends on your comfort level in an urban environment. That area would probably scare some suburbanites, but it's not really that rough objectively. It looks tougher than it is in reality.

There are some burglaries in that area, but there are burglaries literally everywhere in the city. Even though people on this forum probably think it's dangerous, the facts suggest that there is less violent crime south of Cass St. (about two blocks north of Buchanan) and north of Jefferson St. between DB Todd and Rosa Parks than there is in many "desirable" areas (e.g., Germantown, which people on this forum often recommend even though there have been more stick-ups, rapes, and stabbings there in the last 6 months than in the area you describe).

A more accurate crime map than the one recommended above is here: Crime Watch | Data Services | Tennessean

Old 01-10-2012, 02:53 PM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
My grandma actually lives in that neighborhood in one of those old bungalows. I agree with steindle in that neighborhoods probably "feels" worse than it actually is and the Buena Vista Heights area/Cumberland View homes area nearby is going to be worse. The urban gentrification trend just hasn't hit that area much at all and probably won't for quite a while. There are a small number of true urban pioneers who are fixing up some of the old housing stock and older residents like my grandma who have been there for many decades and keep their property very well. But it's not uncommon to see a new townhome or a well-kept bungalow next to a few run-down shotgun houses.

With all this in mind, I'm a bit hesitant to recommend the area to a Nashville newbie trying to adjust to the dynamics of a new city and it's neighborhoods. Of course, I have no idea where you're coming from, what you deem suitable or what sort of neighborhood you're searching for. What other areas are you considering and your price range? Any particular point of interests or amenities that you'd like to be near?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: