U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2007, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,035 times
Default Murfreesboro Questions, some advise please

Hello all,
Just got a good job offer to live in Murfreesboro and I need some help. Right now I live in Chicago and will be flying down soon for the interview. First off I am divorced with no kids and am in my late 30's. I can afford a nice place but would like something reasonable, also I don't want to be in some "college dorm atmosphere" and want something that would be nice and also safe.
Second, nightlife. What is there to do in town? I want to avoid the college pick-up places but also don't want to spend my time in dives. Are there some decent restaurants in town? How about gyms? Bike Trails? Softball teams etc.
I would appreciate any input.... Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2007, 08:46 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,590,801 times
Merely my thoughts, not fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZGUNNAGO View Post
What is there to do in town?
If you don't like to go to church, do drugs, go to the the movies, shop, or doing something associated with the university, there's really not much going on here. There's the usual bowling alley, pool hall, gyms, etc., but I don't think M'boro offers anything unique.

Quote:
I want to avoid the college pick-up places but also don't want to spend my time in dives.
Ouch! I think you may be out of luck on this one. Nashville would be a much better option. Most of the places here would probably be classified as college joints or dive bars.

Quote:
Are there some decent restaurants in town?
There are definately some I enjoy: Demos', Miller's Grocery, Slick Pig, Mexiven, Clay Pit, and plenty others. Coming from Chicago though, you may be shocked at the amount of "big box" restaraunts. There are local places, but it's mostly standard chain fare.

Quote:
How about gyms?
Maybe 5-6? You shouldn't have a problem finding one. I believe some are open 24/7, but I'm not sure. I use the rec center at MTSU.

Quote:
Bike Trails?
Here's where you are going to be most dissapointed. We have about 5 streets or so with designated bike lanes (Cason Lane, Robert Rose Dr., Thompson Lane, Middle Tennessee Blvd, and maybe a couple I am forgetting). It can be done, but communting to work on a bike is quite difficult.

As far as bike trails go, there is the Stones River Greenway which is only 4.5 miles and you could bike in the Stones River Battlefield, but it's really small. Other areas such as Cedars of Lebanon State Park and Long Hunter State Park are 20 or so miles away. They would probably be nice to go to on the weekends.

Bike riding is really poor here, although there is a local club that meets reguarly. There are plans to expand the greenway, but if it is anything like most things here, it will take forever. There are plenty of highways like US-70E, US-231N/S, and TN-99 that you can ride on the shoulder. However, drivers often feel cyclists have no rights and won't move over for them (this applies to other pedestrians as well). People will fly by you going 55-70 on those highways I listed. Sidewalks are few and far between as well.

I'm sure this post came off as very negative, but I was just trying to respond honestly.

Last edited by Mike in TN; 09-02-2007 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: spelling, of course

Old 09-02-2007, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 11,147 times
Default it is a nice area

i think you would like it. it is a nice area growing fast so if u buy now it'll be sure to make money! also u are close to nashville and franklin where there is a lot to do and eat. re bike trails davidson county is full of free parks with trails...u'll be fine!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:10 PM

272 posts, read 745,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Merely my thoughts, not fact

If you don't like to go to church, do drugs, go to the the movies, shop, or doing something associated with the university, there's really not much going on here. There's the usual bowling alley, pool hall, gyms, etc., but I don't think M'boro offers anything unique.

Ouch! I think you may be out of luck on this one. Nashville would be a much better option. Most of the places here would probably be classified as college joints or dive bars.

There are definately some I enjoy: Demos', Miller's Grocery, Slick Pig, Mexiven, Clay Pit, and plenty others. Coming from Chicago though, you may be shocked at the amount of "big box" restaraunts. There are local places, but it's mostly standard chain fare.

Maybe 5-6? You shouldn't have a problem finding one. I believe some are open 24/7, but I'm not sure. I use the rec center at MTSU.

Here's where you are going to be most dissapointed. We have about 5 streets or so with designated bike lanes (Cason Lane, Robert Rose Dr., Thompson Lane, Middle Tennessee Blvd, and maybe a couple I am forgetting). It can be done, but communting to work on a bike is quite difficult.

As far as bike trails go, there is the Stones River Greenway which is only 4.5 miles and you could bike in the Stones River Battlefield, but it's really small. Other areas such as Cedars of Lebanon State Park and Long Hunter State Park are 20 or so miles away. They would probably be nice to go to on the weekends.

Bike riding is really poor here, although there is a local club that meets reguarly. There are plans to expand the greenway, but if it is anything like most things here, it will take forever. There are plenty of highways like US-70E, US-231N/S, and TN-99 that you can ride on the shoulder. However, drivers often feel cyclists have no rights and won't move over for them (this applies to other pedestrians as well). People will fly by you going 55-70 on those highways I listed. Sidewalks are few and far between as well.

I'm sure this post came off as very negative, but I was just trying to respond honestly.
I personally like to hear both positive and negative opinions. The reader can decide whether they agree or not. Keep telling it the way you see it. Honesty is always the best policy.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 5,035 times
Default Reply:

Thanks, I don't mind the honest comments at all! Any suggestions are always welcome... How far is Franklin from Murfreesboro? Is there more to do for someone like myself who doesn't have kids and is has been through the whole "college experience"? Again thanks for the friendly help. Dave

Old 09-02-2007, 04:16 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,590,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IZGUNNAGO View Post
How far is Franklin from Murfreesboro?
Downtown Murfreesboro to downtown Franklin is about 35 miles/45 minutes. It's a very simple drive; you can either take TN-96W or TN-840W/I-65N.

Quote:
Is there more to do for someone like myself who doesn't have kids and is has been through the whole "college experience"?
I've never lived in Franklin, so my knowledge regarding it is purely based on observation.

Honestly, I think Franklin is the kind of area that attracts upper middle/upper class families (or those trying to be upper middle class) with kids who want decent schools for their kids. It might even be worse than Murfreesboro, concerning what you're looking for.

I'm not sure there is much for a single, post-collegiate male like yourself. Maybe I'm wrong though? There is good shopping and dining, but you can get that most places. For TN it's quite expensive as well.

I don't know about the outdoors environment, but I've never heard anything special about it.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:16 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,828,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Downtown Murfreesboro to downtown Franklin is about 35 miles/45 minutes. It's a very simple drive; you can either take TN-96W or TN-840W/I-65N.

I've never lived in Franklin, so my knowledge regarding it is purely based on observation.

Honestly, I think Franklin is the kind of area that attracts upper middle/upper class families (or those trying to be upper middle class) with kids who want decent schools for their kids. It might even be worse than Murfreesboro, concerning what you're looking for.

I'm not sure there is much for a single, post-collegiate male like yourself. Maybe I'm wrong though? There is good shopping and dining, but you can get that most places. For TN it's quite expensive as well.

I don't know about the outdoors environment, but I've never heard anything special about it.
I would have to agree with you on your statement about Franklin.
IMO, I would live in Murfreesboro because its less expensive and drive into Nashville on Weekends for entertainment and such. I've seen some places in Murfreesboro, but not sure if its only for the college crowd. Murfreesboro does have much shopping and restaurants all over the place.
Diane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville