U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2012, 10:33 AM

20 posts, read 23,222 times

Advertisements

A little while back I posted about the prospect of my husband and I moving to Nashville - you can read the post here for background if you want. But to sum us up, we're a 24 & 25 year old professional couple that is looking to rent a single family home in a vibrant, walkable neighborhood where we can make like-minded friends. Sadly, we are not hipsters.

Now that it is 99.9% decided that we will be moving (yay!) we are narrowing down the neighborhoods to look in. It seems like it's between...

- Hillsboro Village. It has the restaurants, shopping, walkability, and young-but-not-too-hipster vibe that we really want. We like its proximity to the West End and Green Hills areas, which we also really like. The biggest problem is that it seems really hard to find single family homes in Hillsboro Village? All we can find are apartments.
- Inglewood/Lockeland Springs/5 Points in East Nashville. From my research (thank you to this forum!) these are the more walkable and safer neighborhoods in East Nashville. We're planning on getting a dog so I really like that there is a well-liked dog park, and E.N. seems like a place with lots of comraderie. At the same time, I think we might be too yuppie! And I do have concerns about safety and the general niceness of the neighborhood.

Honorable mentions are Sylvan Park, Germantown, and 12 South. I also have heard about Cherokee Park? But Hillsboro Village and East Nashville have peaked our interest the most.

So, please weigh in. On the things that matter to us - walkability, nearby things to do, friendliness, similar neighbors, curb appeal, actually finding a single family home for rent - which should we lean toward?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 11:43 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,037,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makingamove24 View Post
So, please weigh in. On the things that matter to us - walkability, nearby things to do, friendliness, similar neighbors, curb appeal, actually finding a single family home for rent - which should we lean toward?
It's definitely much harder to find a single-family home in Hillsboro Village. It's also, in my opinion, pretty overhyped. There is literally a little over two blocks of retail on 21st and some scant business radiating out from there (e.g., Belcourt). It's "walkable" if all you want to walk to are the same half dozen places repeatedly. (Non-cynical note: Being in Hillsboro closer to 12 South/Belmont would drastically increase your walkable options.) In my brief (~1 year) experience living there, I didn't find it particularly friendly either -- it's probably a majority carpetbaggers like myself there, rather than people who grew up or are staying here in Nashville...Lots of grad students with no real stake in the community or interest in meeting their neighbors, etc.

In East Nashville, you have a much better shot of finding a single-family home. (My wife and I rent a nice little Victorian bungalow for $900/mo.) In terms of walkability, it's just as lacking as Hillsboro Village. Maybe more so. There is a small cluster of stores right around Five Points, but the main "business district" is Gallatin Pike/Main Street, which is almost totally prohibitive for pedestrians. (Unfortunately, I have no better options to recommend re: walkability in this city, short of living Downtown.) In terms of nearby things to do, Shelby Park is amazing in my opinion...there's plenty of "nightlife" options, great restaurants, and all generally for a lower price than you're going to find in Hillsboro. I also find that, because people much more often own their homes and intend to stay in East Nashville, the neighbors are much more friendly and active in the community.

In terms of safety, Lockeland Springs is about as safe as you'll get for an urban area. Months go by without a single crime being registered in the area between Shelby and Eastland, east of 10th. And, believe me, there are plenty of yuppies there. It's yuppies and not hipsters living in places like this.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 AM

590 posts, read 1,071,087 times
What side of town do you work on? Going across the downtown loop in the morning or afternoon is no fun.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,037,901 times
FWIW, I drive from around 18th & Shelby to Vanderbilt every day around 8AM and it takes me 15 minutes via Demonbreun. In rush hour, it's increased by ~10-15 minutes at the very worst. Taking the highway at that time is definitely the worst decision, if you're staying within the city.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM

86 posts, read 84,216 times
If you're looking at East Nashville, Inglewood is not as walkable as you would think. It's mostly nice residential, but the closer you get to Gallatin Pike, the louder (and potentially unsafe) it gets. 5 points and Lockeland Springs would be much better. The little Rolling Acres area just northeast of Lockeland Springs is nice too, and that's all really close to some cool bars/restaurants/coffeeshops by Porter & Eastland. There are a few good single family homes in these areas, although condos are slowly becoming more prevalent.

Here's one quick example of a good single family in the Lockeland Springs/Shelby area

HotPads.com - Real Estate, Apartments, Homes for Sale and for Rent, Rental Houses, Sublets, Roommates
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville