U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 12:04 AM

190 posts, read 125,796 times
We've been very happy with our Davidson County elementary school experience (still early in the experience but it's been great). The school didn't score well on the school ratings websites which led to some worry before the move but they seem very close to where we came from which was a very academic private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 AM

1,676 posts, read 2,379,879 times
Generally WCS have a stellar reputation and have driven a lot of the growth in Williamson County as people move here "for the schools".

However, Mayor Dean has been trying to improve the schools and has been trying lots of different things to get test scores better. (charters, etc.).

I think it is risky to move to Davidson and think you are either going to go private (I know several people whose very bright children didn't get into private schools) or are going to get into a magnet. Meigs middle school is the most selective school in middle tennessee (harder to get into than any private school and a lot of private school kids leave private schools to attend Meigs). Some of the best schools in the area are in Davidson, but it is risky to assume you'll be able to use them.

All that said, I have my concerns about Williamson too. The county commission seems hell bent on destroying the excellent reputation of the county schools. The county is growing. The growth isn't supported by the tax base. WC property taxes are very low, much lower than Davidson. For example, the schools recently asked for $26M for capital projects. The commission approved $1.8M. The roof is leaking like a seive at Heritage Middle yet the county won't fund its replacement. Scales did get funded to have its asbestos removed but that was the only project. There is a 5 year strategic plan to improve foreign language and the arts in the schools, yet the county balked at funding someone to oversee the art programs in the county.

The super has publicly said it and I agree that the kids do well because they are affluent, generally come from stable homes and don't worry about their next meal. WC depends heavily on the fundraising of parents. It feels like there is at least 1 fundraiser a month at our zoned school. The county also depends heavily on the fact that there are a lot of stay at home parents willing to volunteer. My son's class has at least one parent volunteering every morning.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:21 PM

50 posts, read 36,199 times
bumping this thread. Can we add Franklin schools to this? We will be relocating and most likely moving to Franklin. My daughter is in 1st and I have a son in preschool.

Out of the Franklin schools, are there some that are better than others? What High school would I look for my DD's Elementary and Middle schools to feed into?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,717,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitJoce View Post
bumping this thread. Can we add Franklin schools to this? We will be relocating and most likely moving to Franklin. My daughter is in 1st and I have a son in preschool.

Out of the Franklin schools, are there some that are better than others? What High school would I look for my DD's Elementary and Middle schools to feed into?

Thanks!
It depends. Which schools are you looking at? The feeder patterns can be a little complicated.

There are two school systems in Franklin that serve elementary through 8th grade. Franklin Special School District and Williamson County Schools are both good. FSSD does not have high schools. FSSD schools all end up attending WCS high schools. The one problem some people have with it is that if you live in the Freedom Middle zone, which is an FSSD school, you attend an intermediate school and a middle school, so you attend elementary, then transition to a different school for 5-6, then a totally different school for 7-8. Then a new high school. For some, that is too many transitions.

There are a couple of good choices in FSSD. Some of the schools have much more diverse demographics, racially and economically, than the WCS schools.

The other difference I can think of is that, because of the school system, property taxes are slightly higher in FSSD than WCS-zoned neighborhoods. But since property taxes are low in TN, the difference is negligible.

If you are interested in a particular school, we can tell you the feeder patterns.

Some will depend on your actual budget, whether you want to rent or buy and what type of house/neighborhood you want.

Around here, Realtracs.com is the best sit for home searches. You can search entire counties or narrow it by city or school zone. Once you find a type of neighborhood or house you like, you begin investigating the school system. It's not like there are any really BAD schools here.

Last edited by Wmsn4Life; 11-09-2012 at 08:08 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Thanks! That's a lot of good info. I had no idea about the 2 school systems within Franklin. Ideally I would want my kids to be able to move up the schools with the same friends. I'm not too keen on the transition part since we are uprooting them from their friends now.
We are going to probably look to rent for a year in order to get our bearings. Looking to rent in a nice sub division with a pool. Price range to rent would be 2300-2500/m. Any suggestions for subdivisions?

Old 11-09-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitJoce View Post
Thanks! That's a lot of good info. I had no idea about the 2 school systems within Franklin. Ideally I would want my kids to be able to move up the schools with the same friends. I'm not too keen on the transition part since we are uprooting them from their friends now.
We are going to probably look to rent for a year in order to get our bearings. Looking to rent in a nice sub division with a pool. Price range to rent would be 2300-2500/m. Any suggestions for subdivisions?
As far as houses, do you want large yard/small yard? How many bedrooms? About how many square feet? Old or new?

As far as transitions, the kids in FSSD move up together, so they wouldn't necessarily lose friends. At the high school level, they might mix with kids from a separate middle school, but they all would end up together in high school. Unless it's a split feeder, but you don't have to worry about it until high school and even then it's not a big worry.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
As far as houses, do you want large yard/small yard? How many bedrooms? About how many square feet? Old or new?
Thanks for clearing that up about the schools!

As far as a house, we have 2 kids and 2 dogs, so looking for a minimum of 3 bed, preferably 4 but could live with 3 in a rental situation. Small fenced yard, pets allowed, not too concerned about age of home as long as its up to date and clean. Family friendly neighborhood with lots of kids and hopefully a pool.
Am I being too demanding?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:19 AM

2,597 posts, read 2,216,149 times
Here are a couple houses in Fieldstone Farms. Big development but it has pools and one of the houses has a fenced back yard. Can't tell with the higher priced one. Great location, definitely a family friendly neighborhood. Hunter Bend Elementary.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

You can use RealTracs.com to look for other rentals. I narrowed in down to Fieldstone as that is where I live.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:36 PM

I'm seeing a bunch of rentals available at Gateway Village which looks brand new and is slated for Brentwood schools. Know anything about this neighborhood?

Old 11-10-2012, 02:54 PM

It's a brand-new huge apartment complex right on the Brentwood/Franklin border in Franklin.

Sort of a mixed-use development; convenient to Cool Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville