Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2012, 09:14 AM

5 posts, read 7,190 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Nashville in less than three weeks and need help finding a rental. I'll be working in South Nashville and have been told to rent in East Nashville.

We are an interracial couple in our 30s with a young son and want more kids. We are looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhome and can't pay more than $1,000 a month. Safety is our number one concern. Would also be nice to live within walking distance of parks, shopping, etc.

Which complexes or companies would you recommend? So far, most of the ones I'm finding have TERRIBLE reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM

86 posts, read 210,797 times
There's a townhouse available on Channing Drive in Madison/North Nashville for rent right now. 2 bed, 1.5 bath, $895, a pretty good location. I rent from the same landladies, and they're fantastic. It's just a bit north of East Nashville, but with really easy access to the highways (right off of Briley, Ellington and I-65). A commute to South Nashville should be reasonable.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyhelloannie View Post
We are moving to Nashville in less than three weeks and need help finding a rental. I'll be working in South Nashville and have been told to rent in East Nashville.

We are an interracial couple in our 30s with a young son and want more kids. We are looking to rent a 2-3 bedroom apartment or townhome and can't pay more than $1,000 a month. Safety is our number one concern. Would also be nice to live within walking distance of parks, shopping, etc.

Which complexes or companies would you recommend? So far, most of the ones I'm finding have TERRIBLE reviews.

The large apt complexes in East Nashville are all a bit sketchy. They haven't caught up with the whole renewal of the neighborhoods that is going on right now. A huge majority of the bad rap that East Nashville gets is from crime that happens in these complexes (usually ex-felon vs ex-felon "disagreements") and Cayce public housing. I'm sure it will eventually change but right now I would probably steer clear. A lot of the good rentals might found on Craigslist and other online sites. I would recommend joining East Nashville Google Groups and looking on that site. Also East Nashville is a really large geographical area. So it encompasses many different neighborhoods, each with their pro's and cons. I would do a search on here and inquire on East Nashville Google groups about the different neighborhoods. I wouldn't rush into anything if you do not know Nashville very well. You might want to rent in a apt complex with a good reputation in another area of town, while you get to know Nashville and in particular East Nashville. From your criteria, I think you will love East Nashville but settling into the right area/situation would be part of that. My apologies for the crappy and choppy sentence structure, blame it on a smart phone. Anyway, good luck.

Last edited by yank283; 02-27-2012 at 09:12 PM..

Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the help. Very good information to know. Can I get the number for the available townhome?

We were sort of thinking that to start off, we would need to go with a large scale apartment complex in a nice area of town (something we would never do where we live now), because we would be able to see reviews and know that it is safe. Then after being there for a year, we'd move again and rent a house in East Nashville.

So can anyone recommend a mega complex that will be safe? Again, I'm working in the South (sort of SouthEast) part of town, so we would like to be able to commute. People have steered me towards Bellevue.

Even in looking at the mega complexes, most get bad reviews....

Unfortunately, we cannot take our time. We'll be there on March 14 and won't have time to look for apartments as I start my new job almost immediately. So we will have to rent sight unseen.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:27 AM

569 posts, read 1,425,269 times
Maybe some of the ones on Edmondson Pike? I had a friend that lived at Brentwood Downs and he liked it pretty well. It's not exactly a walkable neighborhood...but there are some things you can walk to. A lot of people walk, jog up and down Edmondson. There are several complexes. Brentwood Downs just seems newer and nicer than some of the others. There's a Publix shopping center just around the corner from it.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
I realize it means a double move BUT you can rent a storage unit for a month and stay in one of those suite hotels upon arrival and then you can actually LOOK at apartments. I did this while closing on a house. I put my stuff at a storage place in Cool Springs (Mallory Station Storage & Consignment - State Of The Art Self Storage) and they had a truck that I was allowed to use free (had to pay for gas) for one day to move things. And we stayed at the MainStay Suites in Brentwood. It's $65 a night but they might have a weekly rate (Extended Stay Hotels Brentwood TN: Mainstay Suites hotel near Bridgestone Arena, hotel Brentwood). I realize it's a bit of an added expense BUT renting an apartment sight unseen and having to live there a YEAR unless you break your lease could be worse . . . .

Old 02-28-2012, 09:55 AM

We have a one year old son, so I don't think we could live in a hotel while we searched for a place. As much as I hate to, we really do need to rent a place sight unseen. Will look into some of the apartments mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville