U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 11:17 AM

802 posts, read 1,739,619 times

Advertisements

There was a great spread with photos in the N.Y. Times travel section about East Nashville's resurgence. This is great press for our city.

Nashville?s East Rebounds From Tough Times - Slide Show - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 PM

3,741 posts, read 7,037,035 times
Cool. Thanks for sharing that. (Can't rep you any more or I would...)

Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM

3,519 posts, read 5,675,493 times
Gotcha covered Don and Aires - VERY GOOD FIND!!! I'd move there if I wasn't so darn old . . .

Old 02-29-2012, 09:09 PM

933 posts, read 2,429,815 times
Great to see the great independent businesses on the eastside getting more national press!

Old 02-29-2012, 10:20 PM

455 posts, read 541,110 times
Not hating on East Nashville (really, I'm not), but LOL at it being "a hub for Nashville's culturally savvy." That really depends who you ask (and on your definition of culture). I just think its funny because there are a certain set of people who would say that about East Nashville, and there are also a lot of people who would not.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 AM

3,741 posts, read 7,037,035 times
I'll take the bait... East Nashville has been a musician/songwriter's haven for well over a decade and over that same period of time it has attracted a host of eclectic shops, "artsy" people, folk artists and musicians, diverse restaurants, "Americana" type culture. I definitely would call it a cultural hub. Maybe not Cheekwood/Frist Center/Schermerhorn Center "high culture" but certainly its own variety and one that appeals to many. Now, if they said it was "THE cultural hub of Nashville" I'd probably agree with you, but certainly you can't deny that it has attracted a pretty eclectic art and cultural scene there. I'd also put 12South, Hillsboro Village, Jefferson Street and Green Hills in the same category. Maybe even Germantown though I don't think it's developed quite the art scene yet.

EDIT: that may be the first time in the history of C-D that someone has put "Jefferson Street" and "Green Hills" in the same sentence.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,347,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I'll take the bait... East Nashville has been a musician/songwriter's haven for well over a decade and over that same period of time it has attracted a host of eclectic shops, "artsy" people, folk artists and musicians, diverse restaurants, "Americana" type culture. I definitely would call it a cultural hub. Maybe not Cheekwood/Frist Center/Schermerhorn Center "high culture" but certainly its own variety and one that appeals to many. Now, if they said it was "THE cultural hub of Nashville" I'd probably agree with you, but certainly you can't deny that it has attracted a pretty eclectic art and cultural scene there. I'd also put 12South, Hillsboro Village, Jefferson Street and Green Hills in the same category. Maybe even Germantown though I don't think it's developed quite the art scene yet.

EDIT: that may be the first time in the history of C-D that someone has put "Jefferson Street" and "Green Hills" in the same sentence.
I'd rep you if I could. I agree and think it's not an opinion that it is a hub, it's a fact. I mean look at some of the cultural icons that live there like Ben Folds, Todd Snider, Old Crow Medicine Show, etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 AM

6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernsmoke View Post
Not hating on East Nashville (really, I'm not), but LOL at it being "a hub for Nashville's culturally savvy." That really depends who you ask (and on your definition of culture). I just think its funny because there are a certain set of people who would say that about East Nashville, and there are also a lot of people who would not.

I think to the outside world, Music Row, Lower Broadway, and Opryland are the cultural centers of town...

But as for the average Nashville resident, that's not where we look. I tend to agree with Don. East Nashville has become a powerful creative center within the community, and it is just starting to get some real recognition outside of the local media.

I think each of Nashville's urban neighborhoods have some level of cultural impact on the city...but I believe East Nashville has definitely taken the reigns as the top spot as far as influence.

I do think one place Don left out is West Nashville (Sylvan Park/Richland Park area). Other than that...I think he hit the high points.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:20 AM

I don't disagree that it is one of many "cultural hubs" in Nashville. Certainly it is. Nobody would argue that East Nashville is not a hub of a certain culture.

What struck me as funny was saying that it was a hub for Nashville's "culturally savvy." What does that mean? Who are Nashville's "culturally savvy"? Perhaps it's just funny because that is something that I envision a lot of East Nashville types saying about themselves (i.e., thinking of themselves as culturally savvy). It's kind of elitist, but in a counter-cultural way--counter-cultural elitist, if you will.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I'd rep you if I could. I agree and think it's not an opinion that it is a hub, it's a fact. I mean look at some of the cultural icons that live there like Ben Folds, Todd Snider, Old Crow Medicine Show, etc.
Also, I didn't think Ben Folds lived in EN. I thought he lived in Vandy/Green Hills area... ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville