Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times

Advertisements

This New Yorker is flying out in a few days for my 6th visit to Nashville. Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:00 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
So true. But, even if you drink, Nashville is boring compared to NYC. Bars close at 2:00am. Nightlife is limited to a few areas.
Oh, so 2Am is not late enough for you!

Old 05-05-2012, 06:38 PM

629 posts, read 1,700,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
Well, moving to Nashville for the nightlife is kinda like moving to NYC for the biscuits.
One of the BEST lines I've read here in a long time.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1001 View Post
So am I going to fit in or stick out? I'm not the type to compare Nashville to any place else and then gripe about it, and I don't intend to wear my NYC life on my sleeve everywhere I go. I excited about the move, and have an open mind.
You'll stick out. No doubt about it.

But I feel certain you'll make friends once you're here, and then you'll have a group where you fit in.

You sound smart, motivated, and open to new experiences. I have no doubt that you'll do fine.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan1001 View Post
I'd have to say that this move really doesn't have to do with policy or politics. I've worked very hard, and have also been very lucky, to have had so much success over the past 4 years. Prior to that, when things were "better" for most people, I was really struggling.

This move would just be a great next step for me, and would of been impossible if I hadn't spent 4 years in NYC hustling.

I just wanted feedback on where to go, what to do, if living out in Hermitage would get in the way of having a active-ish social / nightlife, and what parts of town to avoid if need be. It doesn't sound like it's a 30 minute drive into the city on a Saturday night, so I'm not worried about living in Hermitage and having it be a drain on my social life.

The higher crime rate in Hermitage concerns me a bit, but I can say that I've "Seen Some Stuff" in Miami and New York that might turn your hair grey. So when I read about car windows being smashed for the change in the cup holder (read all that stuff on apartmentratings.com while doing research), that can happen anywhere and won't keep me up at night. I just don't know if it's something that is more of a problem in Hermitage. From my experience drugs and gangs and shootings were more of a problem in Miami than NYC, but there are certain parts of New York I wouldn't want to walk around in day or night.

And the only real problem I've had in New York was in the safest part of the city a block from my apartment, so s*it happens everywhere. I'm sure Nashville has bad areas just like any other city in the US.

My biggest concern is just fitting in. The statement before about progressives... look I'm Obama lovin' Jewish boy from New York City who likes his pastrami and says "water" like "whaaater".

BTW, that whole last paragraph was said with a BIG smile. But I did spend a week in North & South Carolina a few years ago and heard the Yankee thing a bunch, and I always took it as a joke. The 3rd or 4th question someone would ask me when meeting them was "Which church did I go to?" I thought it was funny! But then again, I was just visiting. I might not like it if it's something I have to deal with all the time and gets in the way of making new friends. Don't laugh, but when I log onto Match.com just to check out some of the girls in the Nashville area to see what they are saying, within the first paragraph is a line about how "Jesus is the first guy in my life" or something similar. I'm going to go out on a limb and say those girls might not want to bring me home to meet mom.

So am I going to fit in or stick out? I'm not the type to compare Nashville to any place else and then gripe about it, and I don't intend to wear my NYC life on my sleeve everywhere I go. I excited about the move, and have an open mind.

I grew up in Mass. When I moved here, this was probably the biggest adjustment to make is how open religion is and how central it is to life in the South. The Northeast is so secular and religion is private, no one ever talks about it. It is probably easier now with more transplants coming down each year but this will be a big part of your experience here. Learning to appreciate their loyalty to God will go a long way in a positive experience in the South. Mocking it will just make living in the South that much more difficult and unbearable. I hope all goes well.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 AM

374 posts, read 693,262 times
I've lived in three different neighborhoods since moving here and at least once in each had the sidewalk conversation with a neighbor who pointed out all the fellow non-churchies and/or liberals. The difference here is that this conversation is usually done in a hushed tone. So as to not offend, but also because some still feel the pressure to conform in the interest of career advancement. If there are any native non-believers out there, I'm curious to know if your status as a local meant more freedom to be open about it.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:31 AM

813 posts, read 2,031,382 times
^I'm a native and I consider myself agnostic. I don't find it to be much of a problem, but I also treat others like I want to be treated. All of my family is Christian and, although he doesn't frequently go to church, my partner is as well. The only person who still asks me to church occasionally is my mom and, at this juncture, she surely knows better.

I also lean pretty strongly left and I've never had a problem at all being open about that in Nashville. That said, politics very rarely seem to come up when I'm being social with friends or at work. I may be in somewhat of a "bubble" because I rarely leave Davidson County and spend most of my time in the neighborhoods near the core which tend to feel considerably more progressive than the rest of TN to me. I think Nashville is a moderate city politically and the overwhelming majority of people I encounter seem to live and let live regardless of where they fall on the political or religious spectrum.

Now, I do get a chuckle when I read so many religion-oriented stories in The Tennessean or have someone quip "Merry Christmas" back to me in a disapproving tone when I wish them "Happy Holidays." But that's a part of living in the South and it ain't changing any time soon.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post

Now, I do get a chuckle when I read so many religion-oriented stories in The Tennessean
You may have noticed that the local paper does this intentionally. It is one of the same few topics (along with sports) they rehash regularly because it gets more clicks/page views, which enables them to show an ROI to their advertisers.

It's not that there's so much more religion-oriented news here. It's just a guaranteed knee-jerk topic anywhere. You will notice that even on the City Data "Religion" forum.

The "Merry Christmas" thing definitely happens. I'm a Christian, and it is starting to annoy me the way some folks insist on hitting others over the head (metaphorically, of course) with a heavy-handed "Merry Christmas" like it's a weapon.

But that's another topic for another day.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:11 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,719,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
I may be in somewhat of a "bubble" because I rarely leave Davidson County and spend most of my time in the neighborhoods near the core which tend to feel considerably more progressive than the rest of TN to me.
Which neighborhoods would that be?

Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 PM

569 posts, read 1,425,132 times
I agree with you ariesjow....maybe it's because I live in East Nashville...but rest assured, none of my neighbors are pointing out who is non-christian. Also, conservatives are a very rare breed in my neighborhood. There's a lady up the street that has a Bush sticker on her car and whenever I walk by I always think it's such an odd thing to see. Again though, politics and religion are just not things that normally come up in discussions in my neighborhood...unless we are talking about some ridiculous new bill the legislature has come up with. Which could be every other day with the group we have now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville