Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 AM

5 posts, read 7,069 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are considering moving to Nashville, and we'll be visiting in June to have a look around and get to know the area. Can anyone suggest any neighborhoods or suburbs we may want to look at specifically? We don't have any children at the moment, but we'll have one joining us at some point in the nearish future, so we'd be looking for a single family home in a safe, comfortable area. Any suggestions or insights would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Brianna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:43 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Are you planning to rent or buy? What is your housing budget?

Old 04-19-2012, 08:28 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,842,137 times
It would depend on your budget but some of the most popular suburbs are Brentwood, Franklin, Hendersonville, and Mt. Juliet.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:03 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,467,934 times
And also let us know some things you're interested in...like if you enjoy being near a lake...being in a rural area...being in the city...if commute times bother you, etc.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 AM

Wow! I appreciate the replies! We are initially looking to rent, and then look at buying in a few years if we like living there.

Re: budget... Well, we are from Hawaii, where a decent (meaning clean and not falling apart) 3-bedroom home will set you back AT LEAST $2300/month, and closer to $3000 if you want to be near the useful parts of the island. So, we will be thrilled to live somewhere where rent isn't such an ordeal. Because we HAVE to pay so much here, it's hard to say what our top end would be elsewhere. We don't need anything fancy, though.

Re: preferences. We're really open to what Nashville has to offer. It will be such a major change from where we live now! Living near a lake would be a nice touch, but not necessarily a 'need to have.' As an audio engineer, my husband will spend much of his work time at the various entertainment venues in Nashville, so proximity to the city center is a definite consideration. We don't need to live IN the city, but we definitely want to avoid an extended drive time.

Sorry for such vague answers... It's quite difficult to equate our needs here in Hawaii with our wants in a brand new, completely incomparable place. The good thing is that we're open and we're flexible! Again, I so appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thanks!

Old 04-20-2012, 01:35 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Does your husband already have a job as an audio engineer here in the Nashville area? Because I think the city is pretty saturated with audio engineers . . . .

If schools aren't an issue, yet, then you could live in East Nashville or downtown? The bottom end for a nice apartment might be $800? $1500 MIGHT get you a house?

Check PadMapper.com for ideas. Look in various price ranges to see how far your dollar will go. Yes, quite a change! Good veggies here! Two Farmers Markets (at least)! Where do you live in HI?

Old 04-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks for your thoughts! My husband is connected with a number of companies in Nashville, but of course, we would be sure to have some solid guarantees before we relocate anywhere. We live on Oahu (the main business & population center of the state), on the windward side of the island. Look out one side of the house, mountains so high you can't see the tops without stepping outside to get a wider view. Look out the other side, the ocean. Not the worst thing in the world, no...

Old 04-21-2012, 10:52 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
My Aunt used to live in Kailua. Hawaii is beautiful! Would drive me crazy to live there. I had "island fever" on Australia so I should NOT live on islands. What brings you to Nashville? I mean, why would you want to leave those views? I am guessing pay, like rent, and the general cost of living, will be less here than in Hawaii.

It's really difficult to suggest things when you really don't know what you want? We don't have a lot of lakes, so it's not likely you'd find property near a lake unless you really went looking. There are quiet places with longer commutes into the city, and high rise condos in the city (Gulch) and it really depends on what you're looking for.

Maybe hit the board up when you're closer to coming and have a clearer idea - apartment, townhouse, house? Will you have 2 cars? Very few places with high walkability scores and not much in the way of public transportation unless you are the patient type.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2012, 03:57 AM

We're both from Hawaii, so it's home (I grew up in Kailua actually). But there's a lot more opportunity on the mainland, and cost of living is a major issue. Most people can't even come close to owning a home here until their 40s or 50s.

Anyway, in the original post in this thread I mentioned that we will definitely be looking for a single family house. And yes, we have 2 cars. And a few motorcycles. Suffice it to say transportation isn't an issue.

What we're really looking for right now is just some advice as to good suburbs or neighborhoods to check out when we come to visit in June. Family friendly, safe, clean, etc. Or even areas to avoid (since every city has those). We just want to have an idea of where to drive around and check out. Nothing need be set in stone for a while yet.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2012, 08:22 AM

722 posts, read 2,100,400 times
I would go with the standards, To the South, Franklin, North, Hendersonville, East Mt Juliet, and perhaps the South East down I-24 in Smyrna. Rankings probably are as follows
1) franklin
2) hendersonville
3) mt juliet
4) smyrna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville