Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times

Advertisements

My sister is considering moving up to Nashville but wants to live someplace "COOL" and Fieldstone Farms is not going to cut it for her. I told her to look in East Nashville and she found this place. There HAS to be something wrong with the location for it to be so cheap. Any help appreciated:

895 Douglas Ave, Nashville, TN 37206 MLS# 1347826 - Zillow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 11:11 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You can see on the Zestimate graph that the value has dropped significantly, and it looks like it is the most expensive home in the area, which typically is not good for investment purposes. It looks like they bought it, over-renovated and can't get their $$ back on a sale.

But the best part about Zillow is that Price History feature. Based on the fact that it sat on the market from February through September last year and NO ONE bought it would be a red flag for me.

I don't know this particular street, but I do know that the area across Ellington Parkway, the Lischey Ave./Dickerson Pike area, is still very rough.

Unless your sister is an urban pioneer, this may not be the kind of cool she is looking for.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,086,830 times
Thanks much! Yes, I figured there was 'something' wrong with it. The house next door is Zillow estimated at $64,000. I am going to look up the old threads about which parts of East Nashville are 'good'. So the other side of Ellington Pkwy is not desirable. Got it. Thanks again . . .

Old 05-06-2012, 01:30 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,894 times
That immediate area (Douglas between Ellington and Gallatin) is really not unsafe. Its reputation is outdated or undeserved. It's not really any different than Inglewood. I don't think anyone who regularly goes to FooBar or attends Nashville Diesel College is live in fear for their lives or fortunes.

It's cheap because it's working class, which I don't immediately equate to being "undesirable," but your opinion may vary.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:38 PM

388 posts, read 1,016,663 times
Still has a little too much grit.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:30 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
I haven't lived in Nashville for a year, but Douglas was bad news at the time I left. I'm not saying gentrification may not be occurring, but no way it's occurring fast enough to make that street a decent place to live at this point. Check back in 3-5 more years.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM

126 posts, read 326,870 times
I live in East Nashville and have for a long time ( 14 years ) so I feel qualified to answer this question. It is an area that is fine. I would feel completely safe living there and I have a child. Urban pioneers are purchasing property under 100k and less in areas that are still very transitional and investing in the community which is great.

I would suggest contact a professional who is familiar with East Nashville ( Realtor ) if I am allowed to suggest that here, and let them guide you.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2012, 09:43 AM

610 posts, read 1,623,163 times
that is definitely a cool house!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM

813 posts, read 2,030,844 times
I don't think that area is bad, but it's probably the wrong side of Gallatin Pike to get the "cool" branding at this time. It is very close to Ellington Pkwy, but I think Douglas on the opposite side of the Ellington would probably have a worse rep. As Wmsm4Life pointed out, it looks like they really renovated the heck out of the home compared to the ones surrounding it and won't reap the benefits any time soon. It's kind of crazy how this same home would probably go for $100k more on the same street east of Gallatin.

If your sister is just looking for a nice, reasonably-priced place in East Nashville a short drive to some of the restaurants, isn't bothered by the transitional nature of the neighborhood and doesn't need to worry about re-sale any time in the near future, then perhaps this is okay. However, if she really wants to be able to walk to the "cool" spots and is concerned about re-sale, then perhaps she will want to concentrate on an East Nashville neighborhood that is a little further along. She may be able to find a steal in the Greenwood or Maxwell area closer to Eastland near the Holland House. Those areas are about a mile south of this house, but seems to be a little further along in the gentrification process to me.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM

933 posts, read 2,741,221 times
I live near thd area and agree with ariesjow. Douglas on the east side of Gallatin rd is kinda of booming (as is all of Eastwood Neighbors). There have a few houses on the other side of Gallatin Rd. fixed up but probably isn'nt comparable to the eastside of Douglas at this point. That does look like a sweet house though.

If she is determined to buy, I would suggest she get a real estate agent that is familiar with East Nashville (bonus points if they live there as well). I know Village Real Estate has a pretty solid presence on the eastside. Good luck.

Last edited by yank283; 05-07-2012 at 11:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville