U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-18-2007, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,289 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! We're an interracial family, looking for a racially diverse church in/around Nashville (my husband and I are white; our son is African-American). We're in Bellevue, but don't mind traveling a bit for the right place. We prefer a traditional service, and feel most comfortable with Methodism, but we're open to any suggestions so that we can find a church home for our family. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2007, 01:20 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,672,101 times
I don't know much about them, but there's the Bellevue Community Church (seems like a pretty diverse crowd) and the large Methodist Church over on Old Harding.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:00 PM

31 posts, read 92,653 times
Lightbulb Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpandhp317 View Post
Hey folks! We're an interracial family, looking for a racially diverse church in/around Nashville (my husband and I are white; our son is African-American). We're in Bellevue, but don't mind traveling a bit for the right place. We prefer a traditional service, and feel most comfortable with Methodism, but we're open to any suggestions so that we can find a church home for our family. Thanks!!
You might talk to the Unitarian Universalist Greater Nashville Congregation/374 Hicks Rd/37221 673-7699

They are affiliated with the Unitarian Universalist First Church of Nashville off of Woodmont Blvd. I am not a member but find myself there at least once or twice a month attending some event they are sponsoring. They are all about love/acceptance/non judgement/evolving They really believe and not just sing, red, yellow, black & white they are precious in our sight Best Wishes~Anna

Old 09-19-2007, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 13,289 times
Default Thanks

so much to you who have replied. We've visited each of the churches that have been mentioned. Great places, but not for us. Any other suggestions out there? Please help point us in the right direction! We don't want to be members of a congregation where our son is the only (or even close to the only) person of color.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 PM

142 posts, read 408,607 times
Default Ray of Hope Church

I strongly recommend Ray of Hope Community Church in Cleveland Park. It is majority African American, but they welcome all and there is some diversity. They are also very good neighbors (I live in the community).

I am not religious, but if I were, I would probably choose Ray of Hope (and, if it matters, I am white).

Ray of Hope Community Church

Last edited by Carol McCullough; 09-19-2007 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM

31 posts, read 92,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpandhp317 View Post
so much to you who have replied. We've visited each of the churches that have been mentioned. Great places, but not for us. Any other suggestions out there? Please help point us in the right direction! We don't want to be members of a congregation where our son is the only (or even close to the only) person of color.
Perhaps it is the area. If your willing to try once again call the Woodmont branch at 383-5760. Their diversity is one of the main reason I love going there. Anna

Old 09-22-2007, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 41,424 times
My friend's family attends Strong Tower Bible Church, located in the Factory
in Franklin. My friend and her husband are white, while her two daughters are black. Lots of love and acceptance, but I don't know how traditional the service will be.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:24 PM

85 posts, read 282,054 times
I just went to Bethel World Outreach (nondemonational) on Granny White Pike and Old Hickory Blvd for the first time today and it was the most diverse racial makeup I've seen in a church here. I'd say it was probably 40% black, 50% white, and the other 10% were other minorities. However the 10am service was not traditional at all but the contemporary style music was fabulous if you think you can get used to it.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:44 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,284,900 times
Default diverse fellowship

Hello,
Try checking out Belmont Church in the Music Row area of Nashville. It is very diverse, the teaching is biblical and the people have a heart for the community as well as their eternal destiny.. You will get love and acceptance there, but only through the love that Jesus gives to us. They believe the WHOLE bible (inerrant, inspired) so it's unlike some of these other churches that have been mentioned.

Hope you are able to visit!

Lord Bless

Old 09-24-2007, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 9,583 times
Default Church recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirving1 View Post
My friend's family attends Strong Tower Bible Church, located in the Factory
in Franklin. My friend and her husband are white, while her two daughters are black. Lots of love and acceptance, but I don't know how traditional the service will be.
I attend Strong Tower Church and it is one of the most racially diverse churches I have attended. Not only will you will get the true gospel, you will be surrounded by families just like yours. There are plenty of interracial families, adoptees, white parents with black children, black parents with white children. You name it, we've got it. I agree with Lirving, I wouldn't call it traditional, but you should visit anyway. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville