Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2016, 03:38 PM

456 posts, read 586,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
^^^ Perfect assessment! The show was fun and turned depressing and unrealistic. Went from loving it to forcing myself to watch it. I am a huge country music fan and have been to Nashville, love the city! For me the final straw was the talk show lady who was a bigot against Will. No way would that happen, it is about the music not about the singer's lifestyle. Sad to see a great show go down in flames. It was so bad this year I kept thinking maybe the staff and writers wanted it cancelled. If so Mission Accomplished!
I kind of feel like the show went on a crusade for gay rights and "shame on you nashville" a little to much at the end of the show. Definitely had too much of Hollywood controlling the shots with very little local/public input.

Like many people have said, the show portrayed Nashville as somethinng it wasnt. Awful Awful Awful storylines that were boring and ptedictable towards end of season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 12:25 PM

73 posts, read 93,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I was talking about this exact thing with someone today. I certainly think the show has helped tourism (or hasn't hurt), but I don't think there'll be any dropoff. Personally I think if the show had been Austin instead of Nashville our own city's tourism would have spiked the same as it has now. Lots of other factors at play in creating the boom.

The person on the other side of the conversation said I was wrong or at least way underestimating the power of the show.

I agree with the other side of your conversation.
I work downtown 5 days a week, and I'm a very observant person. Yes the city was quickly growing beforehand (as are a lot of cities), but it exploded after the show started. Note that I'm mainly talking about tourism, and less about people and businesses moving here (though I'm sure the show boosted that a lot too).
Before show started = I would go downtown on Saturday night.
After show started = I would not go downtown on Saturday night.
It's as simple as that.

Old 05-16-2016, 04:58 PM

3,046 posts, read 3,313,831 times
In today's news there is speculation Nashville could appear on another cable network. Somebody has the rights for the 2nd run. There are also rights for any CD's & eventually DVD's. Not going away soon.

Maybe tourism will decline some as somebody else becomes the "it" city.

Old 05-17-2016, 07:18 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loop View Post
I agree with the other side of your conversation.
I work downtown 5 days a week, and I'm a very observant person. Yes the city was quickly growing beforehand (as are a lot of cities), but it exploded after the show started. Note that I'm mainly talking about tourism, and less about people and businesses moving here (though I'm sure the show boosted that a lot too).
Before show started = I would go downtown on Saturday night.
After show started = I would not go downtown on Saturday night.
It's as simple as that.
I also work downtown, but don't see the 2 directly correlated at least when it comes to true long term growth. Areas like SoBro and the Gulch were well on their way to massive expansion before the show began. I'd point to the Music City Center and the city's constant listing on "best of"/"most" lists in travel/living publications as being catalysts too. Certainly the show has helped as far as tourism and probably some as being in the national spotlight, but I think in 20 years when we look back on this period of time the show will ultimately be a footnote.

Again, don't get me wrong, it's a good thing for the city and I hope someone picks it up again. However, I do wonder if another network or streaming service like Netflix/Amazon pick it up if they will relocate the show to save costs?

Old 05-17-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I also work downtown, but don't see the 2 directly correlated at least when it comes to true long term growth. Areas like SoBro and the Gulch were well on their way to massive expansion before the show began. I'd point to the Music City Center and the city's constant listing on "best of"/"most" lists in travel/living publications as being catalysts too. Certainly the show has helped as far as tourism and probably some as being in the national spotlight, but I think in 20 years when we look back on this period of time the show will ultimately be a footnote.

Again, don't get me wrong, it's a good thing for the city and I hope someone picks it up again. However, I do wonder if another network or streaming service like Netflix/Amazon pick it up if they will relocate the show to save costs?
But most of the tourists don't come because of the Music City Center. I walk beside several hotels daily. That's where you see the tourists during the day (unless you're on Broadway or 2nd). Otherwise you really won't. It's mostly younger people coming to visit Nashville after seeing it on the show.

Again I know the city was growing before the show, and again I only mean tourism growth. The number of tourists grew exponentially after the show started. I went downtown very often on weekend nights (often near Broadway). That's when you'll really see the tourists (and the difference). If you don't you probably wouldn't notice.

Also I go on Caribbean cruises (out of FL), often in Feb/Mar, and a lot of people from up north go then to escape the harsh winter. A lot are from NY. When they find out we're from Nashville, almost all perk up ("Oh!") and say they want to visit, or recently did, and most are very familiar with the show. And these are older folks too.

Last edited by Loop; 05-17-2016 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-17-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
Maybe tourism will decline some as somebody else becomes the "it" city.
Coming this fall, Ferguson.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,471,263 times
Well, I'll say to you what I said to my coworker...agree to disagree. I think the show is certainly a part of the tourist boom; but I'm skeptical it is one of the top catalysts. I really think it's just been a perfect storm of long term planning paying huge dividends (going all the way back to the Bredesen Mayoral Administration cleanup of Broadway and moving CMA Fest to downtown and an overall frenzy of downtown activities), the Music City Center bringing large amounts of conventioneers, the national media dubbing us "it city" for the past 4-5 years or so, professional sports, and...yeah, probably the TV show to a degree.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:40 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Well, I'll say to you what I said to my coworker...agree to disagree. I think the show is certainly a part of the tourist boom; but I'm skeptical it is one of the top catalysts. I really think it's just been a perfect storm of long term planning paying huge dividends (going all the way back to the Bredesen Mayoral Administration cleanup of Broadway and moving CMA Fest to downtown and an overall frenzy of downtown activities), the Music City Center bringing large amounts of conventioneers, the national media dubbing us "it city" for the past 4-5 years or so, professional sports, and...yeah, probably the TV show to a degree.

I'd agree more with Don. I'm in the middle of downtown, both for work and 40+ games of Preds hockey. Other hockey fans LOVE to come here since it's such a party. The seats next to me are broker seats so different people every game. I don't recall anyone saying it was the TV show that got them to come here but lots of "we've heard it's SOOO fun".

Though, the Nashville cast concert tour has been immensely popular, so popular they are going overseas. And, CMA Fest now has people coming from all over the world

Old 05-18-2016, 03:14 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:

But it absolutely is. It is about creating a brand, and Nashville has done that. The hype surrounding the city is unbelievable.

Nashville=music
Few cities have that brand identity

Portland=?
Richmond =?
Raleigh =?

There are only some similar sized cities that cannot be summed up in one word, and having a TV show about music helps solidify the status. Most of you here are too young to remember how Dallas exploded during its own TV show.

Old 05-19-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I'd agree more with Don. I'm in the middle of downtown, both for work and 40+ games of Preds hockey. Other hockey fans LOVE to come here since it's such a party. The seats next to me are broker seats so different people every game. I don't recall anyone saying it was the TV show that got them to come here but lots of "we've heard it's SOOO fun".

Though, the Nashville cast concert tour has been immensely popular, so popular they are going overseas. And, CMA Fest now has people coming from all over the world
Of course the TV show doesn't bring Preds fans. Why would it? Just like for the most part, it doesn't bring people to the convention center.

I'm talking about all the *tourists* it's brought, who are mainly coming for Broadway, Ryman, Opry, the music museums, etc. I've talked to many people living out of state about it.

Nashville leads way in record-setting year for tourism
"Unanticipated developments such as production of the television show "Nashville," now in its third season, have helped spread the city's good name, Adkins said."

Even other countries know about a lot more about Nashville now because of the show.
http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville...-tourists.html
The greatest growth potential is the international market,” said Spyridon. “That’s where the TV show [ABC’s "Nashville"] helps the most – it’s created great awareness.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville