Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:05 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times

Advertisements

It's true. Franklin milks the town square every chance they can. Because it is awesome.

It soon will be overrun, though. Main Street Fest this year was so crowded it was nearly intolerable.

But there is much more to the county than the Franklin square. There are many areas that have their own personality. I would hesitate to use the word "blob" to describe any of them.

Wait, what was the original question??

Oh, yeah. I've actually lived in both cities. They both are GREAT places to live. They both have many more advantages than disadvantages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:40 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It's true. Franklin milks the town square every chance they can. Because it is awesome.

It soon will be overrun, though. Main Street Fest this year was so crowded it was nearly intolerable.

But there is much more to the county than the Franklin square. There are many areas that have their own personality. I would hesitate to use the word "blob" to describe any of them.

Wait, what was the original question??

Oh, yeah. I've actually lived in both cities. They both are GREAT places to live. They both have many more advantages than disadvantages.
It is awesome. But my point is that most of the city is not like the square. It resembles just about any other good sized, moderately upscale suburb throughout the majority of it.

Not that it isn't a good place to live...just that Franklin residents shouldn't be throwing the "character" stones around, when most of them live in glass houses themselves.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:38 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
It is awesome. But my point is that most of the city is not like the square. It resembles just about any other good sized, moderately upscale suburb throughout the majority of it.

Not that it isn't a good place to live...just that Franklin residents shouldn't be throwing the "character" stones around, when most of them live in glass houses themselves.
My parents moved to CT, land of the one acre lot, when I was in high school. Brentwood feels like that, no walking anywhere because there really aren't sidewalks. Franklin outside of the square seems to have more neighborhoods where you can walk. It may only be to the community pool, but there are defined sidewalks etc. Also the housing is denser in most of the newer subdivisions in Franklin so again it just has a different feel.

Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
My parents moved to CT, land of the one acre lot, when I was in high school. Brentwood feels like that, no walking anywhere because there really aren't sidewalks. Franklin outside of the square seems to have more neighborhoods where you can walk. It may only be to the community pool, but there are defined sidewalks etc. Also the housing is denser in most of the newer subdivisions in Franklin so again it just has a different feel.
Franklin has a lot of faux new urbanist development with sidewalks...but it's kind of pointless because it doesn't connect to anything. A lot of Brentwood's subdivisions are quiet enough where you can walk on the shoulder...so what's the difference, really? Besides, asphalt is much better for your feet than concrete.

And yes, Franklin has a denser feel. That's why I said it's a mash of other places like Smyrna and Hendersonville. But it also has neighborhoods with 1+ acre lots and large houses, like Brentwood.

To an extent, every suburb of Nashville has a different feel to it. Whether that be due to demographics, economics, terrain & location, or age.

Outside of the square, though, Franklin is just like a lot of other somewhat upscale, fast growing burbs around the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville