Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2012, 03:01 PM

4 posts, read 12,302 times

Advertisements

I am a single female, 30, moving to Nashville. Ive lived in large cities (LA, NYC) and dont like to be out too far from downtown area's. I do all freelance work, so my work commute varies day to day- commute issues wont make a too much of a difference for where I pick to live but most of my jobs will be downtown Nashville. I do like to go to bars, live music (Rock and Country both), I like to get out and socialize, etc I am very artistic, as is my career. I dont want to live in an area that is completely college students/frat boys dominated.
So what would be some areas of Nashville that you can recommend to me that arent too dangerous for a single female to live based on what I like?
Any advise much appreciated, in fact any advice / tips on moving to Nashville in general is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:49 PM

47 posts, read 118,338 times
It sounds like East Nashville would be a nice place for you to live. It is near downtown where there is an abundance of live music, but also features smaller bars and music venues within the neighborhood. The neighborhood is very artistic--for instance each year there is a "Tomato Arts Festival" in East Nashville. There are virtually no college campuses in that area so there will be few student dominated places. Eastnashville.org gives you some insight into what businesses you'll find in the area..

West Nashville, like Sylvan Park and West End are also pretty hip, close-ish to downtown but convenient to interstates and artsy and full of their own little bars and hotspots. West End however, is often filled with college students during the school year because Vanderbilt University (frat boy & sorority sister central) is located there. Close by is another area you might like, Hillsboro Village (Hillsboro Village | Merchants Association and Hillsboro Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives you some great info) which is filled with great little shops, a few bars and restaurants and is less than 10 minutes from downtown.

Also, you'd probably like the Belmont Blvd area or 12 South which is indeed near Belmont University but has less of that frat-boy feel. It is very artsy with little boutiques, coffee shops, good tattoo parlors, art galleries and more. All of these areas are quite safe and sound like they might work well with your personality/interests.

You'd probably like all of these areas but without a doubt there is no substitution for taking a few days and visiting each area of town you might be interested in. Spend time driving through neighborhoods and hopping out for a cup of coffee or a quick look at some shops. Try driving around near rush hour and have a feel for how it is to get downtown (or wherever you'll be working most) and around to the place you think you'd like to live. This helps you to know what necessities are nearby (banks, food stores, etc.) and what kind of a headache you'll be looking at before you take the plunge to move (although I'm sure, traffic-wise Nashville is a piece of cheesecake compared to NYC or LA).

Old 05-31-2012, 04:57 PM

91 posts, read 203,036 times
I always thought that if I ever lived downtown in Nashville these are the apartments I'd want to be in...

Market Street Apartments :: Downtown Nashville

I don't really think any part of Nashville is dangerous, so to speak. Comparatively to the bigger cities you mentioned. I'm a single guy though so I suppose my outlook is slightly different.

I've been happiest so far in Donelson, which is by the airport. It gets me out of the hustle bustle of the city, but I'm only a five minute drive to downtown. We don't have anything special over here, but I prefer a short drive to the bar, or music scene, etc. I like to live near everything that is happening, not where it's happening if that makes sense. It's quiet, safe, and convenient to everything.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:19 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,026 times
The best part of town for you is the Gulch.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:16 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
Here's the Hilton Brentwood Suites. VERY nice place. A pool, not sure about a hot tub. But the "kitchen" is a fridge and microwave. But fold out couch is in different room than beds. Huge bathroom. Very nice. MainStay is one big room.

Looks like if you pay in advance you can get it for $104 a night for an upcoming weekend.

Higher end place but less of a 'kitchen'.

Brentwood Hotels | Hilton Suites Brentwood | Brentwood, TN

Old 06-01-2012, 05:45 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,772 times
SORRY! Posted this in the wrong thread somehow, can't delete . . . .
: smack::s mack:

Old 06-01-2012, 01:01 PM

4 posts, read 12,302 times
Thanks everyone! Exactly the type of information I was hoping for!
I will be in Nashville this month and definitely plan on driving around a lot and looking at a lot of places.... this gives me a great start to know what areas to start looking!

Old 06-04-2012, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,929 times
I am very similar to you!! I'm artistic, single, 31 and wanting a cool, funky area to move to. I've looked at a few areas but that was several years ago. I've heard such mixed reviews of East Nashville (mostly safety-wise) and I didn't get to explore much of it, but it seems like a definite possibility. I also liked 12 South from what I've explored of it, though there were some college students. I would love a place I can be active, ride a bike or walk around, etc. and be in close proximity to places to eat, go out, and see live music (I have very diverse tastes).

Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
ezm

2 posts, read 5,265 times
I am also re-locating to Nashville. I have lived there before, as I went to Belmont University. I am currently apartment searching. I was hoping to get a townhouse rather than an apartment because my apartment experience was pretty bad when I was in school. I lived at the Players Club and had issues with mice and bugs. I was literally afraid to be in my own home. I am deathly afraid of signing a lease right now, because I don't want history to repeat itself! Did you end up moving here? IF so, do you have any advice on a GREAT apartment complex?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: