U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 06:45 AM

63 posts, read 109,435 times

Advertisements

Got some listed near each other, in a certain "square" area block that appears to be near the Brentwood part of Davidson County:

Several along Old Hickory Blvd between Edmondson Pike and Nolensville Rd
Another up Edmondson Pike just a bit near McMurray Dr

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:54 AM

3,489 posts, read 5,630,047 times
Someone more knowledgeable than I should respond but the Brentwood part of Davidson County should be good. Nolensville Road seems to be the dividing line between perceived "good" and "bad". I think further West is perceived to be better. And you don't want to be too close to that road. I remember looking at a house ($215,000) near there that I really LIKED but just across Nolensville Road were houses going for $20,000. Not a really good sign for RE values.

Anyway, am sure someone who knows these areas better than I do will respond.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM

6,416 posts, read 10,792,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick92170 View Post
Got some listed near each other, in a certain "square" area block that appears to be near the Brentwood part of Davidson County:

Several along Old Hickory Blvd between Edmondson Pike and Nolensville Rd
Another up Edmondson Pike just a bit near McMurray Dr

Thoughts?

Thanks again!
It's not an exclusive rule, but generally you want to be closer to Edmondson @ Old Hickory rather than Edmondson @ Nolensville or Old Hickory @ Nolensville.

Near McMurray could be fine (depending on the specific place). I wouldn't go beyond that, really.

Old Hickory @ Nolensville can be somewhat sketchy. South of Old Hickory (on Nolensville), things are generally fine, though. That intersection, though, is one of Nashville's real melting pot of cultures. There are a lot of international immigrants in that area.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yank283 View Post
That area is gettin better, just like most of East Nashville. I could be wrong but I think that Porter Terrace is a small group of Apts? It looks like someone may have bought them recently and are renovating them. The problem, like the above comment states, is the large complex across the street. Unfortunately, like most large apt complexes in East Nashville/Inglewood, hasn't caught up with the renewal being seen with the housing stock around it. There are plenty of great areas in South Inglewood that are seeing people investing back into the area (including the place you mentioned). Actually the Riverside Village area right up the road is considered South Inglewood, but you don't hear people steering you away from that area. A few years (maybe 4 or 5) ago, the rest of Inglewood did'nt even claim that area as according to their neighborhood website the border was north and east of that area...ha that seems to have changed. It's all relative.
It's good to hear it's improving. And no, for the most part, it doesn't look the part of a rough area. It's got potential. I think most of the houses are fine and look well kept. But good apartments are something that I think most of East Nashville lacks, not just SI.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:54 AM

63 posts, read 109,435 times
Default These migratory patterns sound a lot like the ATL

Folks are moving back in closer, (re-)gentrifying, and it sounds like these different areas East and even South of Downtown Nashville are places where all kinds of different folks are living near each other, learning to get along, all improving the areas together.

Looks (or sounds) like you guys have learned the lesson of bad commutes and sprawl, maybe, hopefully sooner than the ATL did. The efforts at improvement are continuing here, but saving the traffic situation overall-that may be a ship that's long sailed...

Probably enough Nashvillians (sp?) have been through Atlanta and/or have spent enough time here where they see how things are. This place has a LOT of GREAT things but traffic is NOT one of them. Here's hoping Nashville residents and city planners will continue to work to improve what I am looking forward to living and working in: an amazing place!

Old 06-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick92170 View Post
Folks are moving back in closer, (re-)gentrifying, and it sounds like these different areas East and even South of Downtown Nashville are places where all kinds of different folks are living near each other, learning to get along, all improving the areas together.

Looks (or sounds) like you guys have learned the lesson of bad commutes and sprawl, maybe, hopefully sooner than the ATL did. The efforts at improvement are continuing here, but saving the traffic situation overall-that may be a ship that's long sailed...

Probably enough Nashvillians (sp?) have been through Atlanta and/or have spent enough time here where they see how things are. This place has a LOT of GREAT things but traffic is NOT one of them. Here's hoping Nashville residents and city planners will continue to work to improve what I am looking forward to living and working in: an amazing place!

I do believe we have realized it...but the lesson is far from learned. Poor planning is already taking its toll, and will for some time to come.

In the late 90s/early 00s, when it was clear growth was accelerating, we drew a lot of comparisons to 1970s Atlanta. "Nashlanta" was thrown around a few times, and there was a sentiment of "we don't want to end up like that"...not that Atlanta is a bad town, but I think people didn't want the traffic problems that were associated with such a large city.

So I think it has been in the backs of the minds of our city and regional planners...but not everyone takes notice. Some of the smaller suburbs experienced a sort of "growth greed" where they basically allowed anything and everything to get built, without regard to infrastructure. That's the type of attitude and **** poor planning that leads to the problems that you see in Atlanta.

We have a different sort of challenge here, though. Area-wise, Nashville is about 3x larger than Atlanta in terms of city limits...which means that most of our suburbs are even further out. We also have some landscape/terrain challenges because of the Highland Rim/Nashville Basin (geologically, a collapsed dome). Nashville sits in the northwest corner of this land feature, which means that the primary land suitable for building is to the south, southeast, and east (and some to the slight northeast). In essence, Nashville's suburbs can't grow in a ring around the city....so some areas are growing very rapidly, while others are growing very slowly, or not at all.

And on top of all this, we have a lousy excuse for a public transit system. There are master plans, there are things in the works...but we really need to kick it into gear before this place gets too much bigger, and it becomes just too expensive to implement. I think some of the suburbs (especially the larger ones) are starting to realize that it would be best for all if they work toward a common goal. The question is, will they follow through?

If you want to learn a little more about what the planners are thinking, here's a good link that has a lot of material about the region. You could spend a while exploring the site, but it could give you some insight on where this city and region want to go (or at least where they are headed).

Regional Visioning and Scenario Planning @ Cumberland Region Tomorrow

Old 06-08-2012, 04:05 AM

1,432 posts, read 3,334,041 times
If you can find anything in your price range, Germantown/Salemtown would be an ideal option with the shortest commute. I lived there and loved every minute of it. It has a true community feel and there are a lot of different housing options from lofts to condos to single family homes. The latter are pretty expensive but you will sometimes find loft apartments in buildings like the Werthan for around 1k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or