U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 AM

802 posts, read 1,734,989 times

Advertisements

OP, I actually really like the Inglewood suggestion for you too. One tends to get a little more for their money in Inglewood versus East Nashville which is just south. You may be able to rent a single-family home in Inglewood for around your range, but it may not be the most spacious or updated space. I'm not sure what you're used to in Portland, but I imagine you will get a little more for your money here. However, rentals in the top urban 'hoods are very competitive right now so keep this in mind.

I tend to agree that your price range will likely put you out of the most popular neighborhoods, but it never hurts look. Nashvols gave some good neighborhoods to check out given your criteria. You should be able to find a decent 2br in an apartment complex in one of those. I would also consider areas like Charlotte Park or Historic West Town/Nations. These are not often mentioned here as they tend to be more blue collar/working class neighborhoods, but I think those are worth a look if you renting a single-family home for you and your sons.

There is no way one can guarantee that you son won't experience any sort of adversity if he is gay or perceived as being gay while in school. I've been out since I was 16 and had very few problems while in school here. Others that I know did not have the same luck. Just like in pretty much any other city, the inner-city neighborhoods tend to be more accepting of LGBT people. But schools are just a different beast as I am sure you are well aware. If your son does experience any problems at school, the best thing you can do is give him positive reinforcement at home. It sounds like you're already prepared to do this so your child is probably luckier than most. Nashville isn't going to be like Portland or Seattle, but it's certainly much cheaper than those and it's not difficult at all to find a welcoming community here, IMO. Best of luck to you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:44 AM

6,416 posts, read 10,813,913 times
Now I will agree that if you can find a rental house in that range, Inglewood would be a good pick. I'm just not sold on the apartments in the East Nashville/Inglewood area yet. Hopefully that will change in the coming years.

Houses = yes
Apartments = no

Old 06-06-2012, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 7,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesjow View Post
OP, I actually really like the Inglewood suggestion for you too. One tends to get a little more for their money in Inglewood versus East Nashville which is just south. You may be able to rent a single-family home in Inglewood for around your range, but it may not be the most spacious or updated space. I'm not sure what you're used to in Portland, but I imagine you will get a little more for your money here. However, rentals in the top urban 'hoods are very competitive right now so keep this in mind.

I tend to agree that your price range will likely put you out of the most popular neighborhoods, but it never hurts look. Nashvols gave some good neighborhoods to check out given your criteria. You should be able to find a decent 2br in an apartment complex in one of those. I would also consider areas like Charlotte Park or Historic West Town/Nations. These are not often mentioned here as they tend to be more blue collar/working class neighborhoods, but I think those are worth a look if you renting a single-family home for you and your sons.

There is no way one can guarantee that you son won't experience any sort of adversity if he is gay or perceived as being gay while in school. I've been out since I was 16 and had very few problems while in school here. Others that I know did not have the same luck. Just like in pretty much any other city, the inner-city neighborhoods tend to be more accepting of LGBT people. But schools are just a different beast as I am sure you are well aware. If your son does experience any problems at school, the best thing you can do is give him positive reinforcement at home. It sounds like you're already prepared to do this so your child is probably luckier than most. Nashville isn't going to be like Portland or Seattle, but it's certainly much cheaper than those and it's not difficult at all to find a welcoming community here, IMO. Best of luck to you and your family.
This is exactly the information I was looking for! I know that he will have a hard time in school no matter where we go (he is already getting teased here) and I will continue to give him all of my love and support. I currently live in a very run down house in Portland with roommates because it is the only way we can afford it, it's just too damn expensive here. I wish it was different, but it became too popular too fast.
I am hoping to come to Nashville sometime this summer and really look around, try and get a feel. I have found houses for rent in Inglewood already, but since I won't be ready to move until late summer, hopefully I will be able to find some then as well. Thank you for your opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville