U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,028,119 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area, and have been driving around and noticed signs with the name of the highschool and the student's first name in the front yards of random houses out in Brentwood and Franklin. Where I came from people would never think of doing this due to safety issues. I get that it's about being prideful that your kid graduated, but doesn't anyone realize the dangers? Why is this a common theme out in the Franklin/Brentwood area?

On a side note. I also notice when I go out to some of the local bars in Nashville some people just leave thier cigarettes, ID, Cell phone on the bar as they leave to go to the restroom like it's normal to do that. I never saw anyone do that in Florida. That stuff would have been stolen by somebody within a few seconds of it being left unattended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2012, 11:52 AM

43,206 posts, read 41,812,025 times
First, the graduation signs. What dangers are you thinking will happen? I understand not getting your kindergartner a backpack with their name monogrammed on it so a kidnapper cannot call them by name. But what is going to happen from a graduation sign that someone can't find out online? I mean I'm a pretty paranoid person, but I'm trying to think of something dangerous that those signs could cause ...

There is a whole parent committee that does nothing but think of fun monthly gifts to give the seniors. The graduation signs are just another thing to recognize your kid. We also have sports team signs, mainly for football or swimming. They do it as a fund-raiser.

Secondly, the "leaving stuff out" thing is an old south/small-town attitude. People are a bit more trustworthy here, the old "we don't lock our doors at night" approach.

Haven't you seen the idiots leave their car doors unlocked/engine running/keys in the ignition while they run inside the convenience store??

As more out-of-towners move here and bring their mean, ol' big-city ways, we'll stop doing it.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 06-10-2012 at 12:02 PM..

Old 06-10-2012, 02:07 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,554,198 times
I agree, Wmsn4Life. I can worry about most anything, but the graduation signs are a fun way for the school to raise money AND recognize your graduate. Neighborhoods are pretty tight around here, and it's nice to celebrate all the kids before they leave for college.

The signs I do worry about are the new baby signs. Like announcing, "Hey! In this house are two sleep-deprived zombies and a newborn! Come on in!". We passed on those

The unlocked houses, IDs on the bar, etc., are indicators of a trusting culture. I like it, personally. I often write in the library or coffee house and leave my laptop when I go to the restroom or take a call outside. I ask someone to watch it, and others often ask me to do the same for them. Luckily, I've never had a problem or heard of anyone else having one. Now, that's bound to change at some point, but for now I just enjoy it.

Welcome, Rob. I hope you like it here!

Old 06-10-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
First, the graduation signs. What dangers are you thinking will happen? I understand not getting your kindergartner a backpack with their name monogrammed on it so a kidnapper cannot call them by name. But what is going to happen from a graduation sign that someone can't find out online? I mean I'm a pretty paranoid person, but I'm trying to think of something dangerous that those signs could cause ...

There is a whole parent committee that does nothing but think of fun monthly gifts to give the seniors. The graduation signs are just another thing to recognize your kid. We also have sports team signs, mainly for football or swimming. They do it as a fund-raiser.

Secondly, the "leaving stuff out" thing is an old south/small-town attitude. People are a bit more trustworthy here, the old "we don't lock our doors at night" approach.

Haven't you seen the idiots leave their car doors unlocked/engine running/keys in the ignition while they run inside the convenience store??

As more out-of-towners move here and bring their mean, ol' big-city ways, we'll stop doing it.

You gotta be kidding to think it's not dangerous to leave those signs out...lol...the mentality here is mind blowing. I guess it is good that this area is a place where you can live without criminals taking advantage of oblivious behavior. I'm telling u there are things that could happen beyond your logic. There are some sick people out there. Being from Miami you would never imagine having your guard down that much. I guess I gotta adapt to the niceness of Tennessee. Thanks for the comment you guys. I quoted one poster but this is a response to both u guys.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:55 PM

6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
You gotta be kidding to think it's not dangerous to leave those signs out...lol...the mentality here is mind blowing. I guess it is good that this area is a place where you can live without criminals taking advantage of oblivious behavior. I'm telling u there are things that could happen beyond your logic. There are some sick people out there. Being from Miami you would never imagine having your guard down that much. I guess I gotta adapt to the niceness of Tennessee. Thanks for the comment you guys. I quoted one poster but this is a response to both u guys.
Nashville isn't completely insulated from the sickos and wackos that do what you are thinking. But I guess it isn't so common here as opposed to somewhere like Miami.

And yes, there are some places around here where you can let your guard down a bit and not have to worry...but there are other places where that isn't the case. We certainly have our fair share of violent crime, though the most dangerous areas are rather small, but concentrated.

While it may be the mentality of some people to not lock their doors, I don't think that is such a good idea, no matter where you live. If you live in a neighborhood with very low turnover, where people live for 10-20-30 years, or more, you can let your guard down some because your neighbors will know your habits, and they'll be able to spot suspicious or out of place behavior. If they are home.

As for people leaving things out and not worried about getting them stolen, it is still not advisable, and people do have things stolen all the time. But if you are in a busy place, people will generally leave your stuff alone. When I'm at the library, I get asked fairly often if I will watch someone's stuff for a few minutes. I guess that is the difference between here and some other places (I'm sure it happens elsewhere, but perhaps it's not so common in bigger cities). Complete strangers trust each other.

Another thing you will notice is the value of personal privacy. There are quite a few celebrities that live in town, and it's not at all uncommon to see them living quite normal lives. You will occasionally see them dining out, shopping, at the park or at a school...and most people just say "hi" or leave them alone. We don't have a big paparazzi problem. Same goes for pro athletes, politicians or other public figures. High profile people don't have to be as on guard as they do in some other places, and worry about being harassed for autographs or pictures.

Of course you'll find people that don't fit the behavior that has been described in this thread, with both transplants and natives. I'm sure it will take some getting used to, but if I could give any advice for "fitting in," it would be to practice your manners. You'll generally get a pretty positive reaction out of people with just a simple please, thankyou, wave, smile, and hold the door for the person behind you. You might not always get acknowledgment, but for a lot of us, it gives a positive impression. As you meet more and more people, you'll find that trust build.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:03 PM

39 posts, read 56,318 times
My wife and I began searching for our Tennessee home in 2010. Being California natives we were searching for a peaceful environment where we could feel safe with some space. Long story short, on our second trip we found the perfect place in the mid-south, about 50 miles south of Nashville. We closed on that home in April and we still have our California home. Spending time in both states really confirms to us that we made the right decision. The differences between our big city life and our small town life (about 1,000 residents) is drastic. The folks we purchased the home from are watching it for us and still have a key while we are in transition between the states. Another neighbor just called me and said he needs to mow our property (10 acres) or it will be too high when we get back. I offerred to pay him but he didn't accept that offer. On one occasion we went to the local diner and introduced ourselves only to find out locals were talking about us a week before we arrived. We also learned there is a "gate protocol", if the gate is open it's an invitation to drive up to the house, if it's closed visitors turn around. Living here is going to be exactly what we were looking for. I have already found myself letting go of some of my big city concerns. Of course a certain amount of caution is always prudent, but we can't wait to fully integrate into a community where folks watch out for each other and locked doors can be an option. I realize our town is much smaller than Franklin / Brentwood but my point is that if you can let your guard down enough to enjoy things, the result can be worth the effort.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:31 PM

318 posts, read 496,505 times
There's like 5 of those signs just on my street. Since Brentwood and Franklin are straight out of Pleasantville I don't think it's as much of an issue.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMH View Post
There's like 5 of those signs just on my street. Since Brentwood and Franklin are straight out of Pleasantville I don't think it's as much of an issue.
I guess that's just the way it is around here, just thought it was surprising when I saw those signs out. I'm not from here though so forgive my lack of understanding of how things are here. If u look at these forums and study Nashville vs. other places you can see how much different things are in other places. Even the Nashville forum on here people don't get out of hand too much like other city's forums. That is what makes it a good place to live because people are generally non confrontational here, but I do have to say that if some of the people who grew up here living in this mentality went to places like Miami, Detroit, L.A., NY ect...they would be so oblivious to the dangers by the way they conduct themselves living here. Different strokes I guess, but I do see the positives of Tennessee though. It's hard to hate too much on Nashville. It's a good city to raise your family in for sure, no doubt about that.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:55 AM

3,907 posts, read 9,554,198 times
I think you may be confusing our way of life for ignorance. Just because we're not as suspicious of others here doesn't mean we're "oblivious" to danger elsewhere. It's not like we go to NYC and ask someone to hold our wallet while we take a picture. We appreciate what we have here, but we still live in the real world.

Some of your comments came off a bit superior-
"You gotta be kidding to think it's not dangerous to leave those signs out...lol...the mentality here is mind blowing. I guess it is good that this area is a place where you can live without criminals taking advantage of oblivious behavior. I'm telling u there are things that could happen beyond your logic."

Give it time, Rob. Soon, you'll be leaving comments like ours for newcomers.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 AM

584 posts, read 958,916 times
Families in our school district in the Midwest also planted those signs in the front yards when they had a senior inside graduating from high school. It is not unique to Franklin and Brentwood or even Middle Tennessee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville