U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 PM

722 posts, read 1,834,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Yes I would definitely recommend that you check out Hendersonville and Mt Juliet as well although I will admit that 175K may not put you in the most desirable neighborhoods of those cities either and more than an acre of land would likely be out of the question.
I can highly recommend Hendersonville. I moved here from Texas a little over a year ago and my wife said she is not moving again. Franklin is the grade A suburb, Hendersonville is the next notch below, say a B+. Schools are very good including a magnet school ranked as one of the top few schools in the state. It was ranked as a top ten place to raise a family by Family Magazine a few years ago as well.

There are 56 houses between 150K and 180K there now.
RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

I also didnt see where you had a job lined up because that will make a huge difference as to where you want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 PM

587 posts, read 1,112,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy30 View Post
Thanks so much. I didn't mean to imply (if I did) that having $ is a bad thing.
You didn't, not at all. I live in Mt. Juliet and I occasionally chime in with the "Brentwood/Franklin aren't the only great places to live around here" viewpoint, but it can come across as reverse snobbery if care is not taken! Truth is, one of the things I love about the Nashville metro area is, so much of it is a pleasant place to be.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM

8 posts, read 22,870 times
Thanks so much everyone.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:12 AM

23 posts, read 43,029 times
Default Relocating Too...

We are looking to relocate as well. We have friends in that area, south of Franklin, and they love it. It's more "country" and less "keeping up with the Joneses". My friends and I all come from an area with big money, and we hated it. Growing up like that is awful, when your buddies are getting brand new cars/trucks for their 16th birthday, high-end clothes, and never having to work for anything. I'm glad, now, for having to want for things... it has made me appreciate everything I have.
My friends in TN love where they are now because it's not all about "granite countertops" and driving the newest model Yukon.... less demanding lifestyle for them and their teenager.
Best of luck to you!

Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,539,406 times
I thought I lived in Franklin, but it seems I was confused. My kids have jobs, didn't get new cars for their birthdays, and we don't have a Yukon or a need to keep up with anyone.

Come on now. There are jerks everywhere, but to imply an entire community is shallow a bit ridiculous, don't you think?

Old 07-22-2012, 05:21 PM

909 posts, read 876,452 times
I would recommend the area where Stewarts Creek High School is being built in Rutherford County (next to Williamson County) instead. It's going to be a really good school. The elem. and middle school there are very good.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:26 PM

668 posts, read 423,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
I thought I lived in Franklin, but it seems I was confused. My kids have jobs, didn't get new cars for their birthdays, and we don't have a Yukon or a need to keep up with anyone.

Come on now. There are jerks everywhere, but to imply an entire community is shallow a bit ridiculous, don't you think?
I agree with the above.

We live in Franklin, have for about 13 years, and live in an average Franklin neighborhood.

My oldest teen son did not get a new car for his birthday and has a job in addition to being self employed.

Although we live in a neighborhood, my boys enjoy the outdoors and just being with family and friends.

Compared to other teens, they have more than others and they have less than others. That is what happens when you start comparing "stuff". My oldest son has been on three missions to another country and has a much better understanding of what is the real value in his life.

Be careful with that broad brush or you will paint yourself into a corner.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:55 PM

94 posts, read 339,922 times
Are there jobs to be had for teens in Franklin who want to work?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 PM

42,672 posts, read 41,395,027 times
Yes, tons.

Most of my teen sons' friends have jobs. They include retail, grocery, restaurants like Subway & Chik-fil-A, check-in or lifeguard at country clubs or YMCAs, umpiring youth sports, clean-up/check-in at local sports facilities, etc.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:39 PM

3,907 posts, read 9,539,406 times
Great list. I'll add a few more-

Babysitting, tutoring, lawn mowing, golf course caddying, countless mall positions, summer rec program help, farm jobs, dog walking, car detailing, etc. I have friends whose kids are handling social media for bands and doing family photography for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or