Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 01:47 PM

8 posts, read 25,727 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for your answers to this post. Everyone on here seems to be very helpful.

Here is the question(s): We are considering a move to Franklin (family, small children, etc.), but...after doing a bit of research and of course searching these boards, I have a few questions.

The main thing we want to know is if it is too pricey for an average family. We are by no means rich and it seems that if you want to live in Franklin, you need to have tons of money. I also have a concern of the whole concept of "keeping up with the Jones'" mentality. We are working hard to raise our kids to serve and give, etc. but while we want to raise them in a good environment, we also don't want them to feel out of place or like they are less than "good enough" due to what they may be around every day. Of course, much if not the majority of that has to do with one's parenting, but you also have to consider that you are making a conscious choice to be in an area that you know will always be more and have more than you have (or want to have for that matter).

*So, would an average family with an average income be out of place in Franklin? Would it even be possible to have an acre or two with a 3/2 bath home here under 175k? If not here, anywhere close by? Also, we are also considering building (wherever we land) so is this an option here as well?

*Are there a lot of transplants there so it will be easy to make friends? (Where we are now is basically people that were born and raised here and have had difficulty making friends, support system, etc. because everyone here already has friends and family, etc. We have no family close by so building a strong friendship base with the right people is very important to us). We would be completely starting from scratch due to employment should we choose this area.

*Are the farm and acreage outside (say 10 miles or less) a good purchase, more so than the 200k + homes in Franklin? Would that be too far from "civilization?"

Again, average people with average income simply looking for a nice decent area to raise our family. Any and all answers (especially from those that have been here for a longgggg time are greatly appreciated).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 02:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
I have been here for 21 years. In this area that qualifies as a long time. Yes, there are friendly people here who will welcome you. I will be honest with you, though. Your price point will make it difficult.

There are homes available that are officially in Franklin under that price, but most are not in the best area, are more like manufactured housing not in a neighborhood, or are farther out. Since you have small children, I assume you would want to be in a subdivision with kids around they can play with.

You are much more likely to find that in Spring Hill than in Franklin itself.

This shows all the 3 bed/2 bath homes for sale right now in the entire county under $175K.

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

As for "keeping up with the Joneses," you can find that anywhere. The houses cost more because it is a desirable, family-friendly area. It doesn't automatically mean that only rich, snobby people live here.

Your wish list might be possible with some compromises.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:51 PM

584 posts, read 1,136,259 times
We've been here a year and moved from the Midwest.

We're pretty average - my kids have friends in average homes, in above average homes, in areas that are lower income, in million dollar properties, even some kids of celebs in the mix.

I was concerned about teenage money spending, and am relieved to report that our experience has been really positive. Lots of teens have jobs, lots mow lawns, earn their own money. The kids do a lot of 'hanging out' at one anothers' homes. Last weekend, they wanted to do something together but none of them had any money for movies or bowling or Starbucks, so they found a parent of one of them who'd let them all come over to play board games.

I'm agree with Wmsn4Life - your price point on a house is going to be your challenge in Franklin.

We've been warmly welcomed all around and I haven't felt pressured to look a certain way or to 'keep up with the Joneses'. In the past in another Southern town we were treated coldly, as outsiders, so I do know what that is like, and Franklin has been the opposite. Very friendly. Lots of transplants here.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 PM

Thank you both so much for your replies. So helpful. Please keep them coming. We really appreciate it.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:04 PM

593 posts, read 1,355,653 times
Franklin is a terrific place, no doubt. But if you really are "simply looking for a nice decent area to raise our family," be sure to realize that while you may want to be in Franklin, you don't need to be there. There are a lot of family-friendly areas with good schools all around Nashville, and you can get into many of those areas at your price point. Check around Sumner, Rutherford, Wilson, other parts of Williamson too. It doesn't take a ton of money to live very comfortably around here, although there's nothing wrong with having it!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:09 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
Yes, you'd be more than welcome in Franklin. And you could probably find a place to live around your price point, but not the 1 to 2 acres. ExIslander is right, your housing dollar would go further in another county. Is there a reason you want to be in Franklin? I live here. Love it. Bought the cheapest house we could find that suited our needs. But a single family house here is more in the $190,000 range. You can get condo/townhomes in your price range but it sounds like you want the space>

Old 06-11-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanks so much. I didn't mean to imply (if I did) that having $ is a bad thing. Certainly not, but we currently live in a place where there is "old money" and "new money." Interesting place, lots of history, with an interesting dynamic where people in the "old money" area are definitely "snubbed" for not having lots of dollars and the kids are treated as less, and this also plays into the transplant question. Most of these types of people are from here and feel a sense of ownership to the place, which I guess to some degree makes sense. Definitely, though, want to avoid anything like that.

Also, reasoning to be in Franklin would be after looking at all the research, etc., it seems to be very family-friendly and a growing area. Plus, there looks to be more land available out that way, to the west of Franklin. Not dead set on anything though...but safety and a low crime area is definitely on the wish list.

Last edited by runnerguy30; 06-11-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 06-11-2012, 06:39 PM

263 posts, read 614,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy30 View Post
Also, reasoning to be in Franklin would be after looking at all the research, etc., it seems to be very family-friendly and a growing area. Plus, there looks to be more land available out that way, to the west of Franklin. Not dead set on anything though...but safety and a low crime area is definitely on the wish list.
So are Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro, and Spring Hill -- all of which offer much more affordable housing options.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_commuter View Post
So are Hendersonville, Mt. Juliet, Murfreesboro, and Spring Hill -- all of which offer much more affordable housing options.

Yes I would definitely recommend that you check out Hendersonville and Mt Juliet as well although I will admit that 175K may not put you in the most desirable neighborhoods of those cities either and more than an acre of land would likely be out of the question.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,089,032 times
I understand what you mean about "old money" - it was like that in Connecticut and I NEVER felt I fit in, despite having grown up there . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville