U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM

51 posts, read 79,447 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Nashville and have one week to kill before we start work. What kinds of things would you recommend we do to get acquainted with our lovely new city? We'd like to get as much out of the week as possible and I'm thinking in terms of both fun stuff and taking care of business stuff, like maybe changing car tags/driver's licenses. (Actually, we're going to hold off on the car tag/DL thing for the moment, but if you can think of anything like that, please suggest it.) The type of stuff that would be on your To Do list if you had a week to spend around town. Time off work is so precious we don't want to waste it.

We haven't really done or seen anything here yet, so it's all up for grabs.

Also, where can we find out what's going on around town? Local publications, websites, etc...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 05:09 PM

353 posts, read 856,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchinthesunbake View Post
We just moved to Nashville and have one week to kill before we start work. What kinds of things would you recommend we do to get acquainted with our lovely new city? We'd like to get as much out of the week as possible and I'm thinking in terms of both fun stuff and taking care of business stuff, like maybe changing car tags/driver's licenses. (Actually, we're going to hold off on the car tag/DL thing for the moment, but if you can think of anything like that, please suggest it.) The type of stuff that would be on your To Do list if you had a week to spend around town. Time off work is so precious we don't want to waste it.

We haven't really done or seen anything here yet, so it's all up for grabs.

Also, where can we find out what's going on around town? Local publications, websites, etc...

Thanks!
Nashville Scene is a local publication that will give you all kinds of info on happenings. In particular order visit the Country Music Hall of Fame, even if not a country fan it's a very entertaining. Also visit the Ryman and go on the back stage tour. Head down Franklin Road and visit Franklin, then head to Arrington Vineyards. Spend time on Broadway and hit the honky tonks.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:34 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,339,279 times
Go to the Nashville Farmers Market. Weekend mornings are the best and some Fridays they have Night Markets which are really incredible.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM

3,505 posts, read 5,647,843 times
I was going to suggest the Franklin Farmers Market at the Factory . . . which is Saturday mornings.

The Frist museum downtown - pop in the Ryman just to see it and grab all the tourist brochures inside the door.

Cheekwood (botanical gardens) has a Treehouse exhibit.

Eat at Pucketts - downtown Nashville, downtown Franklin, or Leipers Fork. (There is live music on the weekends, check the website for schedule)

The LOVELESS CAFE! (but don't go on the weekend)

Drive out to Radnor Lake or Percy Priest?

I like the Carnton Plantation and the book about it called Widow of the South. Great little intro to the history of the area. But I'd also like to see the Hermitage . . . Andrew Jackson's home. I tried but it was closing early the day I went.

Going to be a HOT week coming up. Make sure your AC is in order. Buy an extra fan? Check your coolant level?

Got all your utilities hooked up and taken care of? Eventually get a license and register to vote . . . the car registration is NOT at the same place so do one or the other just to get it over with. No test, just trade in your old one, get your mug shot . . .

LEARN WHAT "Meat & 3" means????

Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,018,913 times
Having wasted the entire afternoon with tags and drivers' license, good luck. On getting that done quickly. Three different locations, none near each other. And I had all my paperwork in order. Once I got to each counter, it was minutes. Just getting to the counter was the problem. Take a book.

And no, do not go to Loveless on the weekend.

The night Farmer's Market tonight was fun! I love the FM. Luckily I'm just a 5 minute drive away.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:37 PM

961 posts, read 1,311,656 times
What kind of music do you like? Check out the Ryman and get some tickets. Do the Opry on Tuesday, Friday, Saturday nite. Do the Loveless/Barn Wednesday. Get a copy of the Scene for other places.

If you must go shopping check out Cool Springs, Green Hills & Opry Mills. After you do Rivergate you will be mostly done. Depends what area of the county you live in to go back.

Check out Warner Park, Cheekwood, Belle Meade Mansion. Best bargain may be Centennial Park/Parthenon.

When downtown become familiar with the Library, Ryman, Country Music Hall of Fame, Frist, State Capitol (state museum). Bicentennial park/Farmers market.

Go in the morning to the Nashville zoo. Bring plenty of water.

To help get settled, get your Kroger card & save on gas. A secret is to buy gift cards there where you like to eat. Compare prices with Harris Teeter (card)& Publix (no card).

http://www.visitmusiccity.com/visito...countsanddeals

Get the Nashville Visitor Guide. They have an office in the Nashville Arena at 5th & Broadway. Print or get discount coupons for Nashville attractions. Use the guide for event times & prices.
Great free guide & map for the city.

Last edited by GWoodle; 06-15-2012 at 08:47 PM..

Old 06-16-2012, 07:12 AM

933 posts, read 2,424,736 times
If you go downtown, check out the house band at Robert's Western World, Brazilbilly. Welcome to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or