U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,907 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Nashville this July for a year. We are looking for a cool place to rent that will give us an authentic Nasvhille living experience. Currently we live in Atlanta, so it's a pretty lateral move. We live in the city now (right in between downtown and midtown) and want a similar feeling in Nashville. We'd like to stay under $1,000/month without utilities, but are flexible with this. We have a medium sized dog, so we'd like to stay somewhere that is walkable and pet friendly. We're young, 25/27, so night life is important to us, walking distance to restaurants/bars is essential, but we want to stay away from campus-life. Please reply with suggestions on locations, property and/or property management companies! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM

6,417 posts, read 10,833,036 times
Under $1,000 will be tough to find in the desirable areas in town. You might be able to find something that is 1BR/1BA for around that, but I seriously doubt you can find anything larger (if you do, you should probably be suspicious that it's infested with bugs or rats or something).

If you want to be close to nightlife, your main options are going to be downtown, midtown, The Gulch, East End/Five Points (East Nashville), West End, and Hillsboro Village.

Downtown is mainly touristy-centered nightlife, but there are some hidden local gems. Downtown isn't very populated (for a downtown), but there are several lofts and a few newer highrises. It has potential, but if you are just going to be here 1 year, you're probably not going to see that. I would suggest looking for anywhere on Church St. for potential places to live. Perhaps The Cumberland.

Midtown is more of a local's nightlife scene. The bars are in smaller clusters than what you see downtown, but there are quite a few among them. Broadway @ Division is really the epicenter of this scene. Despite being so close to Vandy, this area isn't completely overrun by Vandy kids. Unfortunately I think it will be tough to find something for your price here.

The Gulch is the shiny new "dense" residential district on the SW side of downtown. It has literally risen out of an abandoned industrial area. It's supposed to be Nashville's hip new urban hangout. While I think some of the stuff is cool, I get the "we're trying too hard" vibe from the area. Everything is new and somewhat polished, so it's hard to truly come across as authentic. But that's just my take. Despite that, one of the old establishments, the Bluegrass mecca the Station Inn, is authentic, and located smack dab in the middle of the neighborhood. Your biggest problem here is likely going to be price. Most buildings are brand new, and it's popular enough where they can demand a higher price. As they build more units, that will likely come down...but that probably won't be in time to help you out.

East Nashville is definitely the more artsy side of town. Lots of artists and musicians not only work here, but live here. The neighborhood is still in transition, so some of it may appear to be trashy or sketchy...but a lot of it has been gentrified or rehabbed. The area around East End would probably be the nightlife hotspot, although there are a number of other small areas with nightlife. There aren't a whole lot of good apartments in East Nashville (at least I don't think so). The older apartments tend to be in rougher areas, and the newer, more shiny ones tend to be pricey (or condo units that you are renting). There are a ton of old houses in the area, so if you don't mind living in one of those, I'm sure you could find a rental somewhere. But you should probably check out the area before making a commitment. There are still some big time rough patches in the area.

Hillsboro Village is a small, cute little commercial strip just south of Vandy (a mile or so from midtown). There are a few bars, restaurants, and shops, and the historic Belcourt Theatre. Unlike midtown, this area definitely has a bit more of a Vandy vibe. It's not a cheap place to live, but it's relatively densely populated, and there are a number of older apartments where you might find a friendlier rent rate than you would in the "newer" areas of town.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the search, and feel free to ask more questions.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:59 AM

11,859 posts, read 32,845,206 times
My vote would be for the Hillsboro Village area. As nashvols said, it does attract a lot of Vandy kids, but since about 45% of Vanderbilt's student body is comprised of graduate students, many of those Vandy kids are in the same age group as the OP. A lot of Vandy's faculty and staff lives in that part of town, too. It's also just around the corner from Belmont University which contributes to the area's lively and youthful character.

Hillsboro Village also has three of my favorite things in Nashville: Provence (most authentic French bakery in Tennessee), Belcourt Theatre (best arthouse movie theater in the state), and Pancake Pantry (yeah it's kitsch, but I still love it). For me, living within walking distance of all that--among other things--makes Hillsboro Village my favorite part of Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,821,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadlekk View Post
we want to stay away from campus-life.
Hillsboro Village is primarily populated with students. If you want to stay away from that scene, I'm going to totally disagree with the above poster and say STAY AWAY.

There is hardly an area I would call genuinely walkable in Nashville, but the closest you're going to come is living (a) Downtown (which is overrun by tourists); (b) right next to Five Points in East Nashville; or (c) in 12 South. There's really no comparison to Atlanta in this respect. Good luck.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:02 PM

3 posts, read 2,907 times
Thanks for the input everyone!

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 PM

802 posts, read 1,736,935 times
OP, I think finding a decent place for two and a dog for around $1,000/mo in Hillsboro Village (or anywhere around Midtown for that matter) would be a heck of a challenge. I think the suggestions for East End/Five Points (vibe similar to ATL's Little Five Points but on a Nashville scale) and 12South are good bets. If you like East Nashville, I would also consider one of streets around Eastland Avenue in either Lockeland Springs or Eastwood. You may be able to rent a unit in a home or a duplex. 12South is starting to get pricey too, but you should still be able to find a nice one bedroom for under $1,000.00.

If you don't mind a place with a smaller and more quaint commercial strip, then you might like Sylvan Park too. You could walk to a few restaurants and the Richland Greenway is a popular spot on the west side for dog walks. It's close to West End, but far enough away to not have a student feel. Another up-and-coming area for the younger crowd is Melrose which is close to 12South. There are some new lofts that have just been built in this area and more on the way.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:38 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,342,372 times
Germantown is a great, urban, walkable neighborhood but 1000 will be tough especially with a dog. I would definitely check it out though along with neighboring Salemtown.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,455,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
Germantown is a great, urban, walkable neighborhood but 1000 will be tough especially with a dog. I would definitely check it out though along with neighboring Salemtown.
I agree with Germantown. I was going to suggest in my self.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:03 PM

388 posts, read 863,113 times
Nashvols did such a thorough job that no other posts are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or