U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 12:36 AM

8 posts, read 17,862 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone. Thank you for taking the time to read my thread and help me out.

My fiance and I both live in New York City and we are looking to move down to Tennessee, somewhere in or around the Nashville area. As great as NYC is, it is just not the city for us. I have lived here since birth, but it's not where I want to spend the rest of my life. It's too cluttered, chaotic, and disorderly. We are not your typical New Yorkers, we're more reserved, respectful, hospitable and humble people. We also don't want to live such a fast life. There's no time to enjoy life in this city, it's all about being on the go.

Well, my fiance was raised in Europe on a farm and I have always dreamed about living down South, so when we visited Tennessee, we quickly fell in love with the state . It's definitely a place where we could see ourselves living and raising a family. The best part about it for me is actually the friendliness of the people. I enjoyed talking to strangers at gas-stations about their grandchildren and I didn't mind waiting in line 10 extra minutes while the cashier talked to everyone on line. If that had been in New York, there would have been steam coming out of my ears, but it's very different in Tennessee. It's very nice knowing that there actually are genuinely kind people around.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I babbled on and on. My fiance and I are looking to be no more than 40 minutes away from Nashville. We don't want to be in a rural area where we have to walk 3 miles down the road to see our neighbor. We want at least 2 acres of land and would like to have neighbors nearby. Since we don't have any family member and haven't made any friends yet in Tennessee, it's important for us to know that we have good neighbors in our company. Obviously, we want to be in a good town. I know that crime exists everywhere, but I don't want to live in an area where everyone has to walk around with a loaded pistol for protection.

My fiance is an iron-worker and has experience in many other fields, so I know that he won't have problem finding a job. He is also planning on starting his own construction business. I don't work so I will basically spend my time being a home-maker and volunteering.

Also, (this might be very helpful information), we would like to spend no more than $350,000 on the purchase of a home. If this info is also helpful, I am 25 and my fiance is 32. We obviously don't want to live in an old folks town. So where would be a good town for us to live in?

I forgot to mention this.. we would like to own a horse or two and a chicken coop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:28 AM

6,418 posts, read 10,861,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettie-NY View Post
My fiance and I are looking to be no more than 40 minutes away from Nashville. We don't want to be in a rural area where we have to walk 3 miles down the road to see our neighbor. We want at least 2 acres of land and would like to have neighbors nearby. Since we don't have any family member and haven't made any friends yet in Tennessee, it's important for us to know that we have good neighbors in our company. Obviously, we want to be in a good town. I know that crime exists everywhere, but I don't want to live in an area where everyone has to walk around with a loaded pistol for protection.

Also, (this might be very helpful information), we would like to spend no more than $350,000 on the purchase of a home. If this info is also helpful, I am 25 and my fiance is 32. We obviously don't want to live in an old folks town. So where would be a good town for us to live in?

I forgot to mention this.. we would like to own a horse or two and a chicken coop.

Well....you have a lot of options. lol

Let's narrow this down a bit. 40 minutes from Nashville narrows it down to about...8 counties (including the one Nashville is in).

You can find 2+ acre plots (with neighbors nearby) around just about every suburb, as well as a few places that are "in" the city (I use that loosely, as Nashville and Davidson County are consolidated -- so there are some quite rural areas that are officially "Nashville")

But even in the rural areas outside of town, you're probably not going to be too too far from your neighbors. So my question would be, how close would you like to be to larger suburbs and development, close to a small town, or in a quiet more rural area that is less likely to see heavy development?

Also, what size house are you looking for? In a quick Zillow search, I'm finding a lot of 2,500-3,500 sq ft homes within your price range, and land from 2-6 acres.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Well....you have a lot of options. lol

Let's narrow this down a bit. 40 minutes from Nashville narrows it down to about...8 counties (including the one Nashville is in).

You can find 2+ acre plots (with neighbors nearby) around just about every suburb, as well as a few places that are "in" the city (I use that loosely, as Nashville and Davidson County are consolidated -- so there are some quite rural areas that are officially "Nashville")

But even in the rural areas outside of town, you're probably not going to be too too far from your neighbors. So my question would be, how close would you like to be to larger suburbs and development, close to a small town, or in a quiet more rural area that is less likely to see heavy development?

Also, what size house are you looking for? In a quick Zillow search, I'm finding a lot of 2,500-3,500 sq ft homes within your price range, and land from 2-6 acres.
I definitely prefer a small town. I'm not interested in large suburbs, I want a quiet lifestyle. Franklin seems like a very cozy town. How is it there?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 AM

Quote:
I definitely prefer a small town. I'm not interested in large suburbs, I want a quiet lifestyle. Franklin seems like a very cozy town. How is it there?
Franklin has it's cozy areas, but it's a fast growing suburb of about 63,000+ that is rapidly expanding. If you choose Williamson County, I would encourage looking at Fairview for a small town feel (and more for your money than Franklin), or the more rural areas around Arrington or Triune or College Grove.

If you want to avoid the suburban spread (and stay around 40 minutes from Nashville), you can rule out a lot of Rutherford County as well.

I don't think anywhere is "safe" from development within 40 minutes of Nashville...but my picks would be Cheatham County (Kingston Springs or Pegram in the south, or Pleasant View in the north), Coopertown in Robertson County (adjacent to Pleasant View), Joelton in Davidson County (actually in Nashville, but on the side of the county that is almost guaranteed not to grow), and Greenbrier and Ridgetop in Robertson County. There is some suburban development in some of these places, but it is not overly extensive or dense. You are safer on the western and northern ends of Nashville if you don't want development encroaching on you. A lot of this is due to terrain...generally it's a bit more hilly.

This should give you an idea:
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.16116...76346&t=p&z=11

I would avoid anywhere close to Franklin, Spring Hill, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Mount Juliet, Brentwood, La Vergne, Hendersonville, and Gallatin are all sizable suburbs/exurbs, and most of those are growing pretty rapidly. Areas like Thompson's Station and Nolensville are generally fine right now, but are in danger of being swallowed up in the suburban sprawl (it's already started in some places).

Cheatham County is the slowest growing county, and has the smallest population (39,000) in the immediate area.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:48 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,121,758 times
Cheatham co taxes are similar to Davidson county's, correct?

Old 06-20-2012, 07:22 AM

587 posts, read 1,117,051 times
"Nice house on a couple of acres" describes a lot of the unincorporated areas of western Wilson County. You'd just have to make sure you're far enough away from planned development zones in general and the Providence area in particular.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM

43,206 posts, read 41,812,025 times
I agree. If you want to be no more than 40 minutes from Nashville, you will not be alone for long. That is a standard commute for many subdivisions around here.

In addition, while two acres sounds like a lot, there are many homes in town that have yards that size.

In some communities, you will have to have a minimum of 3 or more acres to own any livestock.

I would suggest Robertson County to the north of Nashville, somewhere in Greenbrier, Springfield or Pleasant View.

Here are some homes in your price range on 3-5 acres. Some have barns, some don't. You will need to really think about what you are getting into, and plan for equipment to maintain all the grass, what kind of utilities you will have access to (especially sewer or septic tank, natural gas or propane etc.) and other aspects of semi-rural living.

At least narrowing down the area will help.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-24-2012 at 08:20 AM.. Reason: Not allowed to endorse real estate companies

Old 06-20-2012, 09:53 AM

Interesting that you brought up sewers and septic tanks. In NYC, mostly everyone has a sewer connection, very few people have septic tank systems. I have heard that houses in TN mostly are connected to septic tanks, except for urban areas. How true is this?

I don't mind living in a subdivision, just as long as I can get a few acres and be able to get some livestock. Springfield seems like it's too north, but Joelton seems like an interesting place to me. It's close enough to Nashville, yet is a small town. I can't make a decision until I actually visit there again. I'm wondering if 2 weeks is enough to get to know the areas properly?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Interesting that you brought up sewers and septic tanks. In NYC, mostly everyone has a sewer connection, very few people have septic tank systems. I have heard that houses in TN mostly are connected to septic tanks, except for urban areas. How true is this?

I don't mind living in a subdivision, just as long as I can get a few acres and be able to get some livestock. Springfield seems like it's too north, but Joelton seems like an interesting place to me. It's close enough to Nashville, yet is a small town. I can't make a decision until I actually visit there again. I'm wondering if 2 weeks is enough to get to know the areas properly?
I wouldn't go as far as living in Springfield. It's a little on the...grimy side (for a small town, at least). Outside of Springfield, near Greenbrier or Coopertown would be your best bets.

Joelton isn't really a town (for one, it's part of Nashville)...it's more like a small community. There's some development and a few subdivisions, but nothing crowded or really built up.

For a few quick aerial examples of some of the areas I'm talking about (starting from the southwest side of Nashville and going clockwise):

Fairview*
https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.98300...84543&t=h&z=14

Kingston Springs* & Pegram*
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.09703...84543&t=h&z=14

Joelton
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.31692...84543&t=h&z=14

Pleasant View*
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.38784...84543&t=h&z=14

Coopertown*
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.42984...84543&t=h&z=14

Greenbrier* & Ridgetop*
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.41603...84543&t=h&z=14

Shackle Island
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.37402...84543&t=h&z=14

Rural Hill
https://maps.google.com/?ll=36.11638...84543&t=h&z=14

Triune & Arrington
https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.86137...84543&t=h&z=14

College Grove
https://maps.google.com/?ll=35.78829...84543&t=h&z=14

*=incorporated place -- an actual town

Old 06-20-2012, 11:30 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,336,711 times
Nashvol's suggestions are great. I second the recommendations for Nolensville and Fairview. IF you are planning on seeting down roots and raising children, I'd stay in Williamson County (both Nolensville and Fairview are in that county) for the schools. Franklin is very nice, but when I visited it looked like it was about to boom with even more development and the land prices were very high. Nolensville and Fairview are within a very reasonable drive of all the shopping amenities that Franklin and Cool Springs has to offer, schools are good, and the land is much more affordable.

I'm a native NYer and we were researching Franklin for relocation, my spouse and even visited and looked at apartments for the move during a relocation trip. We wound up settling on a different location for the eventual move but we loved the Nashville area best. Good luck with your move, I'm a little jealous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or