U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 PM

3,518 posts, read 5,674,289 times

Advertisements

C'mon. It's the elephant on the board! The HEAT!!! 102 today here in Franklin.

So, how are you keeping cool? Where in Middle TN has the best air conditioning?

Do you use of of those shades in your car that you put in the front window? Does it work?

Someone told me I should water my VERY thirsty withered plants at NIGHT and not in the morning. Any thoughts?

Places to swim? Public pools? Does Percy Priest have a beach? No swimming at Radnor, is that right? (crocodiles???)

What do you have your AC set at? I have mine at 79 and it's delightful inside. 23 degrees cooler than the outside.

Last question. I was thinking about getting one of those blow up pools, maybe 18 inches deep? But someone (I think) told me that here in MT it gets SO warm for extended periods of time that it's like a hot tub after a few days. Anyone have a grown up kiddie pool????

Stay cool! :c rying: (sweat, not tears . . . )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 03:48 PM

43,187 posts, read 41,793,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
C'mon. It's the elephant on the board! The HEAT!!! 102 today here in Franklin.

Run errands before 9 a.m. Staying home. Being outside even dries out my eyes.

Do you use of of those shades in your car that you put in the front window? Does it work?

YES they make a BIG difference.

Someone told me I should water my VERY thirsty withered plants at NIGHT and not in the morning. Any thoughts?

Not sure. Franklin and B'wood are about to go on voluntary water restrictions anyway because of that increased use.

Places to swim? Public pools? Does Percy Priest have a beach? No swimming at Radnor, is that right? (crocodiles???)

NO swimming at Radnor. Who told you there were crocs there? I have seen otters, though. Here is a link to the beaches at Percy Priest. It ain't Destin, though!

Swimming

What do you have your AC set at? I have mine at 79 and it's delightful inside. 23 degrees cooler than the outside.

My A/C is at 75 in the daytime, 68 at night. Brrrrr!

Last question. I was thinking about getting one of those blow up pools, maybe 18 inches deep? But someone (I think) told me that here in MT it gets SO warm for extended periods of time that it's like a hot tub after a few days. Anyone have a grown up kiddie pool????

Yes, a shallow pool like that will warm up within an hour or two. I wouldn't bother. Just stay indoors!

You can do it!

The main thing, though, is not to jack with your thermostat up and down a lot. You do not want to make your A/C unit work too hard to cool off a room. My in-laws used to turn theirs completely OFF when they went out of town for a week ("Well, we certainly aren't using it!") but ended up blowing out their compressor when they came back in town and the temp was 90 degrees inside the house. Just stay consistent.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:52 PM

91 posts, read 176,640 times
I'm still trying to find one of those sunshades that fit in the front window. Apparently I've got a tall windshield, 31". They do work however, I recommend them highly. Also window tint if you want to fork out the money to have all the windows tinted is a good way of stopping some heat. On that note, however, I'm still riding my motorcycle for my work commute daily, I'm the guy on the interstate in boots, jeans, helmet, gloves, and jacket on the sportbike. I may be going a bit faster than you because the air flow really helps with cooling.

As for watering, I have no idea and am curious as well. I have been watering mine, but just at the base around 3 30. It makes sense in my mind that in the hottest part of the day they are thirsty, but I don't want to fry the leaves so I just kind of thought that some water at the base makes sense, then I go back out in the evening and give them a good watering.

I've had the AC at 76, but in the past week I've bumped it up to 79 because like you said, it's still 20+ degree's cooler than outside and feels great! You mentioned how everyone is staying cool, a lot of liquids. I work outside from 6am til 3pm.

Finally yeah, those little pools are of no use they will get steamy hot quick. The only way to keep them cool is to use A LOT of water and continually add fresh cold water to the pool.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:29 PM

3,518 posts, read 5,674,289 times
UPDATE: I did google some gardening sites and they said to NEVER water in the evening. Made sense to me to give the plants time to soak up the water but it can cause root rot or something.

ALSO water JUST the base, not the leaves. That will cause them to burn when the sun hits the water still on the leaves.

OK, now who has the best frozen margarita?

Old 06-28-2012, 04:54 PM

91 posts, read 176,640 times
Quote:
UPDATE: I did google some gardening sites and they said to NEVER water in the evening. Made sense to me to give the plants time to soak up the water but it can cause root rot or something.

ALSO water JUST the base, not the leaves. That will cause them to burn when the sun hits the water still on the leaves.

OK, now who has the best frozen margarita?
Nuvo Burrito in East Nashville! Rosepepper in East Nashville is pretty amazing too.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:45 PM

442 posts, read 933,142 times
The usual gardening advice is to water sparingly (once per week) and deeply.

If you water daily, the plant never develops deep roots.

I'm not sure those rules apply in historic droughts, especially if you just added plants this year. (Older plants should have better-developed root systems and should be better able to withstand the drought.)

But a month without rain (which is basically what happened in June)? I'd say all bets are off.

I'm seriously thinking about planting cacti (prickly pear) and yucca next year that can survive in deserts. Seriously.

In terms of watering times, I think it's best to water early morning, just when the sun comes up. The water gets time to soak in, but it's not sitting in water all night. (@ dustinsn3485, I don't think you're hurting the plant watering at 3:30 p.m., as long as you're not getting water on the leaves, which can cause leaf scorch due to the magnification of sunlight, I believe. But even if you're watering at the base, I think a lot of the water will evaporate at 100 degrees - or hotter at the soil surface - before it can soak in. Of course, it depends on lots of factors, including whether your plants are in shade at all.)

Our house temp - low 80s during the day and around 79 at night. Save energy, save money and it's still 20 degrees cooler than outside. Just drink lots of iced tea or lemonade (a squirt of bottled lemon juice in a glass of ice water tastes great, is healthy, low calories and one bottle of lemon juice lasts a long time).

I tend to go outside early morning (6-9 feels good and then again in the afternoons starting around 6 or 7). Up until last week, I would even sit on my shaded front porch during the day. In the shade, 90s don't bother me much. But over 100? I may hide inside in a/c.

I also leave pretty much all shades down on the house all day, despite the fact I work from home. Dark and cool

I'm not religious, but seriously y'all, let's pray for rain and an eventual break to this insane heat wave! (Accuweather is calling now for 105 Saturday and 107 Sunday. OMG.)

Old 06-28-2012, 08:03 PM

201 posts, read 268,335 times
Early morning watering is the best but today that would mean about 5am...it was warm early and just got hotter.

Also depends on the level of shade that you have. Our place here is brutal for shade and everything is hurting for water.

Good source of info that is Tennessee based - Southern Spray Lawn Care - Memphis, TN

Old 06-28-2012, 08:30 PM

722 posts, read 1,839,266 times
if you water at night, your grass (what is left of it) can grow a blue fungus. I had that problem in Dallas. Plant Lantana. They are a great flowering plant that loves desert and heat.
lantana - Google Search

Old 06-28-2012, 08:35 PM

3,341 posts, read 3,044,085 times
I would be extremely happy to live somewhere that it never ranged outside of 75-89F. I love hot. I hate cold. I lived in Phoenix and we only had a swamp cooler and it was fine.

Quote:

I HATE air conditioning. Come downtown to the building I work at...it is so cold there, it's ridiculous. Even the security guard said it was too cold and they make it even colder at times. I have a jacket there plus I regularly have to go outside to warm up. I raced Wednesday evening when it was 94F and it wasn't bad. Worse was all the traffic emissions in the air. Racing this weekend though should be interesting.

No. I drive a black truck. Windows up can get a ittle warm but it cools off fast. At work, it sits in the parking garage so no problem.

??? I live in an apt.

Luckily, we have a pool at the apt.

80F during the day when I'm at work and about 76F at night. I only turned it on when it got to over 90F multiple days in a row. I'll turn it back off when it cools down.

Old 06-29-2012, 06:32 AM

3,740 posts, read 7,036,005 times
I agree it's hot and it stinks...but it could be much worse...the humidity is low. It was 105 with 15% humidity yesterday. That's Las Vegas weather. Hot, sure. But I'll take it over it being 95 with 75% humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville