U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 11:37 AM

587 posts, read 1,111,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivelafrance View Post
I think one of the biggest differences is that Williamson is heavily suburbanized whereas with Wilson and Sumner you have upscale suburban areas near the Nashville border but then the rest of those counties is mostly rural/small town. I think that schools in Wilson and Sumner that zone to the high schools of Beech, Hendersonville, Station Camp, Mt Juliet, And Wilson Central are perfectly comparable to Williamson schools.
Concur. School performance tends to track demographics pretty closely around here. The highly affluent areas of Brentwood/Franklin have great schools and they tend to cast a halo on Williamson County schools in general, but outside of those areas, the rest of Williamson starts to resemble the similar areas in other counties.

To the OP -- there's no magic to any of this; find a school in a nice area that offers a full range of things like AP classes and extracurricular activities, and your kids will get out of it what they put into it. They might have a little more company in some areas than others, but you do not have to be in Williamson County to have a good school situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM

4 posts, read 5,683 times
Default Spring Hill/Thompson Station is nice

Both Spring Hill (the northern section is in williamson co.) and Thompson Station are nice and have good schools. Southern Spring hill is in Maury Co. and it's middle school and high school are really bad although I have heard that the elementary school is good.

I have not been to Mt. Juliet or Hendersonville, but I have been in Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Lavergne, Franklin, Brentwood, Columbia and of course Spring Hill and Thompsons Station. To tell you the truth I much prefer Spring Hill/Thompson Station over the rest. Murfreesboro, Smyrna, LaVernge and Columbia have an "older" feeling to them, although they did just build up sam ridley parkway in smyrna, so that section looks nice. There are some nice parts but there are plenty of dirty areas that we were not fond of, as in run down buildings, dirty streets. Brentwood and Franklin are 1. pricey, 2. Busy (lots of people and traffic) but look really nice, new and "rich" if that makes sense. They do have older sections which are mostly kept up, but we mainly vertured to Cool Springs for work and shopping.

I would say that as far as housing, Murfreesboro, Smyrna, Lavergne, and Spring Hill/Thompson Station have comparably priced homes, however there are more homes with larger lots (1 acre) in spring hill/TS.

In the last 5-10 years the population of SH/TS drastically increased and new stores were built. There are 3 big grocery stores, 2 shopping areas with all new buildings. ie, target, kohls, lots of restraurants. Also, homedepot/lowes. Lots of places to send kids to lessons, plus there is a rec. center that is really nice (longview). IMHO I think it offers a lot while being close to franklin to nashville. Population is around 30,000.

There is no movie theater in Spring Hill so if you need to do that you can drive to franklin or columbia. We liked the one in columbia as if you go on monday nights they give everyone a free popcorn. There is also an ice cream stand right next to it, I think we paid 75 cents a cone, and they weren't kiddies.

Hope you understood all that. Happy searching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville