U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,166 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I'm new to these boards and have been lurking for a few days now (the info on here has been fantastic, thanks to everyone who posts). My wife and I will be relocating from NH to the Nashville area due to a change in jobs. We are interested in potentially renting a house down there, but our credit is not very good. We have a bankruptcy from 4 years ago along with 2, 30-day late payments (one from Jan of this year, the other last month). Both were caused by stupidity on my part by simply mistyping the payment date with the online bill payment. Our scores are around 600 as of right now.

Should I expect this to cause issues when trying to rent a home? We could potentially pay an additional month or two of rent\deposit upfront if necessary

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 04:57 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,118,521 times
I had no credit and rented from a condo owner.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:08 PM

263 posts, read 497,320 times
I'm not sure what you want to rent exactly, but back when I was apartment shopping a couple of years ago, I had almost the exact same credit profile as you, and I had zero problem renting an apartment. Private owners tend to be a bit pickier -- especially in parts of town where demand is high and they have their pick of applicants. However, as Edmund_Burke pointed out, even some private owners can be quite flexible. My best advice if you're looking to rent a house or condo: If you see something online that you like, call/email the owner and explain the situation upfront. As I discovered during my search, most if not all of them will let you know very quickly whether bankruptcy is a deal-breaker. (Again, though, with a score of 600 and a positive rental history, if you're looking at apartments, you won't have any problem at any apartment complex in this area. Apartment complexes tend to look strictly at numbers with very little concern about the specifics of your credit history.)

Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 PM

45 posts, read 74,685 times
Oops wrong post

Last edited by seanf12; 07-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: Wrong post

Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM

108 posts, read 148,662 times
I doubt if you'll have any problems related to your credit. We manage several dozen properties and it comes up all the time. It's just part of todays economy. You'll probably have more difficulty in just finding something to rent. It's a really tight market right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville