Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2012, 06:59 PM

16 posts, read 32,537 times

Advertisements

Hello Nashvillians(?),

Coming through Nashville and trying to figure out how to optimize my limited time in the city. By far, my biggest interest is music, probably country.

I'll likely arrive on a Friday night. I may have time to go and check out things that night, and am wondering:

1. How safe is the main "district" area late at night on Friday? (Say 10:00pm - 1:00am)? Is there easy and safe parking?

2. There is always a balance between accessibility and "touristy-ness." For a person who enjoys the "authentic" (whatever that may be) is the District a good place for me to go given short time? Also is "Grand Ole Opry" a "must not miss"? (Trying to decide between trying to rush to GOO or just go to the District area.)

Then, I'll be there Saturday until about 2:00pm or so. Is there music going on during the day on Saturday? Are things vibrant or dead?

Finally, I'll be coming back through on a Sunday night. Is that a good time for live music later at night (10pm or so).

Any insights (and suggestions) are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 08:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
1 - The District is pretty safe...and on Friday night it will be packed. As for parking, I know some people have had their cars broken into...that can happen anywhere, but just remember not to leave anything out on the seats so that a passerby might see it.

I would look to park in either a well-lit surface lot or garage...preferably as close as possible to 2nd or Broadway (there are some big ones on 3rd and 4th that you might look into). I would not park somewhere that is either not well lit, or a far walk from the entertainment area.

If you're staying close to downtown, you might just call a cab or use the hotel's shuttle service (if available) rather than trying to park.

2 - I am not a Country Music aficionado, so I might not be the best to point you in the "authentic" direction....but yes, keep in mind that the downtown bars and honkytonks tend to be aimed at more of a tourist crowd. There are a few individual places that I think are worth going to, but some places are kind of cheesy. There's no shortage of music, though.

If you're talking about the Grand Ole Opry as in the show, sure, that's something you might want to see...but those are only at night...so you'll have to check the schedule to see if that's something you want to do Friday before going to the honkytonks.

If you're talking about the Opry House itself...well...I don't think it's really that special. The Ryman Auditorium (the original home), on the other hand, is an interesting landmark downtown -- and they offer tours.

As far as music on Saturday...yeah...there's music off and on all day...but probably not as high quality as at night. If you're looking for something to do Saturday morning, go to the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Old 07-01-2012, 10:33 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
If you're talking about the Opry House itself...well...I don't think it's really that special. The Ryman Auditorium (the original home), on the other hand, is an interesting landmark downtown -- and they offer tours.
Related anecdote: In three years of Nashville, I only went to the Opryland Hotel/Mall area twice, but both times I happened to overhear dejected out-of-towners, angry that they had to get back in their cars after however many hundreds of miles and head Downtown to see the REAL home of the Grand Ole Opry.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:45 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
I echo nashvols' post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerfan_11 View Post
1. How safe is the main "district" area late at night on Friday? (Say 10:00pm - 1:00am)? Is there easy and safe parking?
As nashvols said, you should be pretty safe during those hours. It is always very busy on Friday and Saturday nights. And definitely using common sense for parking is the best defense against getting broken into.

Quote:
2. There is always a balance between accessibility and "touristy-ness." For a person who enjoys the "authentic" (whatever that may be) is the District a good place for me to go given short time? Also is "Grand Ole Opry" a "must not miss"? (Trying to decide between trying to rush to GOO or just go to the District area.)
If authenticity is what you want, then the district isn't probably going to fit you 100%. However, if you only have a little while (one night) it is still probably your best bet. Locals do hit the district sometimes and the music itself is usually pretty good, but there is definitely a big tourist vibe. For more authenticity you might check out the Station Inn (for bluegrass) or a writers' night at the Bluebird Cafe. Both of those are not in the district. If you were spending more than one night here, I'd say do the district, then try to find something more authentic. But just one night...do the district.

Quote:
Then, I'll be there Saturday until about 2:00pm or so. Is there music going on during the day on Saturday? Are things vibrant or dead?
It's been awhile since I was downtown on a Saturday morning...but you'll mostly find tourists milling about. Some music, but nothing like Friday or Saturday nights. Agree with nashvols' recommendation of the Country Music HOF and would also recommend taking a tour of the Ryman Auditorium. And if you're on Broadway during the day, check out Hatch Show Print.

Quote:
Finally, I'll be coming back through on a Sunday night. Is that a good time for live music later at night (10pm or so).
I wouldn't say it is a "good" time. Certainly not as active as Friday or Saturday night. Sunday downtown is pretty quiet though this is summer and there are lots of people here on vacation... So yeah, there'll be some music but probably not as active as the other weekend nights.

Good luck with your trip and let us know if you have more questions.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 AM

65 posts, read 142,330 times
I've been down on Lower Broadway twice in the last 8-9 months, once last October and then again last Friday night, and it's definitely safe during those hours, like the others here have mentioned-just use common sense and stay alert like you should anywhere generally...

As for parking, specifically, I would try this deck, somewhere around 254 3rd Avenue North, across from Jazz and Jokes (which, incidentally, had a long line to get into it around 10PM the other night...not country though)...the deck was $5 as long as you wanted to stay there...seems like we paid $10 last October to park there, but that's still not bad...:

254 3rd Avenue North, Nashville, TN - Google Maps

I would agree too that some of the touristy places can get cheesy with the cover music, and admittedly, the artists themselves probably at times get sick of playing them over and over and over, but-they are playing to get paid, get experience, get discovered, and will appreciate you being there. The talent is unmistakeable, and sometimes they will play some of their original stuff if you hang around for a while. If you head all around the district, just walk by and see what catches your ear...you'll also hear people on the street too, which is fun...many places have no cover, just walk in, show your ID, drink as little or as much as you like, and put some $ in the offering plate as you can or feel led to...

I like one artist in particular named Taria that seems to play most Friday nights down at the Whiskey Bent Saloon...she had different band members each time, but both were great...several of her guys last Fri PM have played in the recent past with Kellie Pickler, to give you an idea of where they've been...

Based on past experience here at Eddie's Attic in Atlanta (place that launched John Mayer, Sugarland, and played a part in helping The Civil Wars get going) and from what I've heard, I CAN'T WAIT to go check out The Bluebird Cafe myself!

Those listening room-type acoustic/songwriter places are my favorites...I would guess you couldn't go wrong there...you probably would have to plan in advance, including tickets-not sure how far ahead you have to check...

Hope that helps...this is the perspective of a tourist-newbie soon-to-be resident moving up in August...

Old 07-02-2012, 08:57 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
I'm down there every day since our office is a block away and every afternoon I have to go outside and warm up since they keep the A/C at about 40F. There's music during the day at many places, but more at night. I've only been once on a Friday night after 10PM and that was the night of the Kenny Chesney/Tim McGraw concert and it was a zoo everywhere. Sunday nights are more mellow, but still fun. Haven't been to Station Inn as I'm not a big bluegrass fan, but will check it out eventually. Saturday afternoons should be hopping. So far, my have is a guy named Bobby James who plays a lot at Paradise Park.

As for parking, can't help you as our building has dedicated parking (no public).

Old 07-02-2012, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 32,537 times
Thanks to all! This was very helpful. I'm really looking forward to it. My wife is an overseas transplant and loves all things music - and particularly love country, so we're looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville