Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 AM

629 posts, read 1,695,570 times

Advertisements

I'm NOT suggesting YOU do this - but IF it were I, I would have explained the situation to the collision repair shop and offered them $600 (cash) to lower the estimate by $800 (you can bet your $&# they have $200 wiggle room in a large job). This way - the insurance company could not total my car - I get the car repaired without having a salvage title issued on the vehicle - and the entire bad experience only costs me $600 out of my pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 10:10 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,054,895 times
Heading over to Accurate to have the car towed to my mechanic guy. BUT this morning I got a call from the other guys insurance company.

He want to close out the file. He told me that he got a letter from Farmers (who have been great) that they were writing the car off and I told him that I personally had not written the car off.

He said it happened on the 17th, what was I waiting for? And INSINUATED that they would no longer be responsible if I didn't settle today.

I got really MAD and told him it wasn't MY fault that his guy hit me on Friday at 5 o'clock and that I was well within my rights to take it to the shop of my choice. I asked him if i didn't 'settle' with him right then and there then **** insurance was off the hook????

And he back pedaled and said "Well, we're only paying for one tow and we're not paying for anymore storage. You can't just keep dragging that car around from repair shop to repair shop!"

I told him it had only been less than 24 hours since I found out what Accurate had come up with.

Called MY insurance company and they said well, there IS no storage and there IS no tow charge and we did NOT send the other insurance company *** a letter closing out my case.

Wow . . I don't know how these guys can sleep at night!

By the way, two things I found out that I want to post for future readers of this post.

1. When the total a car, they also have to pay you sales tax, license and registration which can be as high as another 10% over what they say the car is worth.

2. If a car is totaled in TN, and you have it repaired, you have to get a salvage title or a repaired title . . and you can NOT drive the car until you get this new title. However, if the car is over 10 years old and gets totaled and repaired, you can keep the old title.

Thanks Southbound for the suggestion. Unfortunately in the computer age there are so many line items on the repair bill that I think it would be hard to fudge. And if you DON'T go to a preferred shop (hmmm) then the insurance company sends out a claims adjuster to the new place.

The internet works both ways - GREAT for information but you can't fudge so much any more!

The saga continues . . .

Old 09-11-2012, 03:02 PM

3,760 posts, read 7,054,895 times
Got my car back yesterday. It's GORGEOUS! Cresswell's Auto Body did a really fabulous job for almost $1000 less than the Accurate Auto Body quote, thus saving it from being totaled. They waxed the entire car and even cleaned the um, hub caps! To top it off, they are a really NICE bunch of guys. Small shop, nothing fancy, but excellent work. The color of the bits they repaired matches the rest of the car perfectly. I can't believe anyone would think this car should be totaled.

So, end of the story - GET A SECOND OPINION!!!! If you don't want to see your car totaled. I could not have bought a car of this caliber in this condition for what they would have given me upon totaling it. Heck, might not even be able to buy a good bicycle!

And if you need Body Work, I highly recommend Cresswell's. It's over by the Factory, where you could get the Franklin Trolley if you can't find a ride.

Happy Ending!!!!

Old 09-11-2012, 03:11 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,572,875 times
Thanks for the update! Glad you resolved everything in a good way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: