U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,005 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am planning to relocate to Nashville next spring (Spring 2013) but I don't know where to start! The information I have found online is vague and unhelpful. I am a teacher and want to work in a safe and well thought of school. I do not mind urban teaching but I do not like working in a school that needs metal detectors, barbed wire, or fences (I have been in this situation before and it was not a comfortable feeling). When it comes to housing, I want to live in a safe but lively area with a lot of social activity but that is also close to where I will be working.

I am looking to buy a place and will have a limited budget... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you all in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 06:02 AM

43,544 posts, read 42,115,885 times
No Metro Nashville high schools have permanent metal detectors.

Of course, there are schools that have more discipline problems. You can research the suspension rates of various high schools here:

Tennessee Department of Education - Report Card - Profile

Just click the tab that says "School" and choose the various high schools.

We need more info from you.

What do you teach?

How much experience do you have?

How "limited" is your housing budget?

Do you have a car?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:15 AM

3,527 posts, read 5,695,464 times
And because we are very nosy . . WHY did you pick Nashville and where are you relocating from? Lots of transplants so they can compare and contrast where you are moving from . . .

Old 09-02-2012, 07:39 AM

80 posts, read 194,330 times
I'm going to jump on board here and see where it goes, lol!!

Personally I have been looking at TN because I want to be in a place that has more to offer than southern WV but still has that southern friendly feel. I would like to live somewhere that I can pursue some interesting volunteer opportunities and creative outlets in addition to being gainfully employed. I've noticed that most of the people who are happy here are the people who chose to come here from somewhere else.

I have also been looking at coastal NC, and the Asheville NC area. Jobs in my field are paying so low and unfortuneatly, I would need to survive on one income for a while. I also need a job with decent benefits.

My boyfriend is working overseas right now, he is in the security field. We would also need to be in an area big enough to provide him with opportunities, too. Which there isn't much going on here... that's why he went overseas.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 AM

Friendly people? Check!

Volunteer opportunities? Check! (we are the Volunteer state . . )

Creative Outlets? Check! Lots of music and art classes.

Jobs that are well paid? Not so sure. The cost of living is lower than average so I think salaries follow suit.

Security Jobs? Well, there are some 'stars' and executives who live here but might be hard to get into the field. Suspect there is a lot of competition.

I think the locals are happy here, too! But this is a relocation board. A lot of us used it to plot our move here and are 'giving back' to the community at large.

Be aware that the rental market is very tight at the moment and most average $1000 a month. A great place under $800 will take some perseverance.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Friendly people? Check!

Volunteer opportunities? Check! (we are the Volunteer state . . )

Creative Outlets? Check! Lots of music and art classes.

Jobs that are well paid? Not so sure. The cost of living is lower than average so I think salaries follow suit.

Security Jobs? Well, there are some 'stars' and executives who live here but might be hard to get into the field. Suspect there is a lot of competition.

I think the locals are happy here, too! But this is a relocation board. A lot of us used it to plot our move here and are 'giving back' to the community at large.

Be aware that the rental market is very tight at the moment and most average $1000 a month. A great place under $800 will take some perseverance.
The Volunteer State I was very happy to see that!

Would love to take art classes and stuff!

Jobs, cost of living is relatively low here, too but rising FAST because of the tourist industry. People that come here as tourists and stay will pay unbelievable prices for rent and real estate, kinda pushes us locals with them low paying jobs out of our own town. The rental market is pretty rough here, too. I know several people who have had difficulties finding a rental at all. There is no way I can afford $800 a month plus living expenses on my own. My living arrangements here have allowed me to save some cash, so getting into a place won't be an issue, but once the money runs out... maintaining it will.

I'm a secretary for a small state office. I've been a secretary for many years. I also pet sit, make and sell soap, and love to help people plan events. We do not have children. My BF is into military surveillance and/or networked camera security. Are there any military facilities or any other type of facility that would have something like that nearby?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 AM

957 posts, read 3,335,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambersb View Post
My boyfriend is working overseas right now, he is in the security field. We would also need to be in an area big enough to provide him with opportunities, too. Which there isn't much going on here... that's why he went overseas.
I have an idea what he's doing over there and what he's making, and there is not way he'll make anywhere near that here. The only way to make decent money in security...pretty much anywhere...is as a government contractor or as executive protection for big corporations. Other than that, armed security where there is a half way decent chance you'll be stabbed or shot is paying a whopping $11-$13/hr.

I you can find an in with a country star who wants permanent personal security, there would be more money in it, but for the most part, they contract with a few agencies in town who specialize in that sort of thing. Those agencies get paid pretty well, but they don't pay jack.

I would search for high level executive protection companies and go from there. Let that decide where you move. He can make a boat load of money in that field, but not in Nashville. You can teach anywhere. He will have to go where the money is.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:19 AM

You can always share a place and split the rent/utilities. There are many people in the same boat.

You should look into a state/city/government job. They are competitive but the benefits are great!

The closest military base is Fort Campbell on the TN/KY border.

Old 09-02-2012, 01:03 PM

I will definately look into the state/city/government jobs, the state's website is closed to applicants until Oct 3 for system changes. I usually check it twice a week and I signed up for automatic updates but I never saw any Secretarial/Clerical/Assistant positions open and I thought that a little odd. Even my state has SOMETHING pop up pretty often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
I have an idea what he's doing over there and what he's making, and there is not way he'll make anywhere near that here. .
You're right. He has looked at a few stateside options with government contractors and although salary is ok considering it's stateside, the jobs were in really secluded areas (border patrol mostly--no thanks). Besides he's not ready to give up the overseas money yet but I am ready to give up WV. He's not totally limited to the security work, he did computer networking and IP telephony for many years. Basically the plan is for me to decide where I want to live and he'll contract for a couple more years, and join me wherever I am (if I haven't found a rich sugar daddy by then, lol!!)

Oh, and I'm not the teacher, that was the original poster. I hijacked her thread /
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville