Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:31 AM

372 posts, read 593,167 times

Advertisements

Hey all....

Our lease is up in April and we are currently doing a TON of research trying to figure out where we want to buy. We've lived in Fairview for 2 years and have built a nice little community and routine for ourselves. We homeschool and my son is heavily into sports, my daughter into acting classes at The Factory. We find ourselves in Franklin at least twice a week and green hills/west nashville twice a week. My husband works in Cool Springs. His commute from Fairview isn't bad at all but we are nervous committing ourselves to buying out here. It HAS been a bit of a struggle to live so far out from things.

Our price range is 250k-350k and given that we are driving into Green Hills, fieldstone farms keeps popping up on my radar. Because Williamson County's sports are well organized and we are already plugged in, we would like to keep our search to Franklin. Also, we are taking homeschooling year by year, so I'd like to be sure we are feeding into a middle/high school that I am comfortable with...basically, Williamson County. Believe me, I've researched Bellevue, West Meade, green hills, sylvan park, east nashville, nolensville, etc....and even though I am not certain it's 100% the perfect fit, it seems Franklin is where we will land. I also, am nervous about the pollution/smell/toxicity of south franklin so I am avoiding Dallas Downs, Sullivan Farms, Polk Place, Forrest Crossing.

after doing a crime mapping of fieldstone farms, Simple assaults, a breaking and entering and theft from vehicles popped up. If you live there...do you feel safe? Would you feel safe walking at night around the neighborhood. Coming from Oakland, CA...I can't even believe I am asking this, but we have gotten used to Fairview where there has literally been no reports on the crime map website in the last 3 years.

Mckays mill is also on my radar but my husband is not so sure. Doesn't like the alleyway garage system. Any other hoods I'm missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM

3,760 posts, read 7,087,991 times
I have lived in Fieldstone Farms for two years and never felt unsafe. I signed up for their emails and get alerts about crimes, things to watch out for. I think there was some idiot exposing himself last March and we got an email about him but that's about it.

Moved in the Friday before the flood. Luckily, only one street was really effected and my hairdresser lives in one of the flooded houses. She said the support was amazing. People swarming to help - pull out damaged furniture, bringing food, bottled water, etc. There ARE things like bookclubs and fitness and coffee but I am not overly social. Great walking trails.

And you're right. The location is prime. The Franklin Trolley comes to the Publix so you can get to the Factory, Carnton, mall, hospital on it. It's slow but eventually you can get there. Up Hillsboro directly to Green Hills Mall, down Hillsboro to downtown Franklin. quick jog on Mack Hatcher for the Factory. 15 minutes over Berry's Chapel to the mall.

You can spend less for a house here if you want? I've seen some nice ones for $240,000. Prices are lower than when I moved here BUT for the most part, the complex has a decent reputation and the homes keep their value. Very well maintained. Be sure to ask about HOA Fees. I have two . . . one for Fieldstone Farms and one for Trent Park (small small houses) - still, only about $75 combined. Pools now included.

I spent 6 months looking and this really was the best for my needs. I didn't like the alley garages in McKays mill either, or the long steps into the houses.

There's some building at the corner of Franklin Road and Berry's Chapel . . there are some townhomes and some condos . . . I can't remember the name of them, across from the Walgreens. But they seem awfully TIGHT and parking seems to be at a premium. There's also Monticello which is a bit closer to downtown Franklin. Older houses, mostly one story. NICE big yards but may need some updating. Cottonwood is near Fieldstone Farms but got hit heavy by the flood.

I like RiverRest - Boxwood Drive, across from Grassland Elementary. Out of my price range but might be in yours?

Also, I thought homeschooled kids could NOT be on school sports teams in Franklin??? Seem to remember something about that so check before you move!

Any questions, feel free to DM me but no, never felt unsafe here. Where I live is VERY quiet at night.

Best of luck!

Last edited by CountryGirl2b=; 09-24-2012 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: I type faster than I think

Old 09-24-2012, 11:18 AM

Thank you so, so much for the info!! I will definitley check out those other subdivisions you mentioned. I had forgotten about the trolley.....that is pretty cool!

We do rec and possible travel rec leagues. He is only 7. lol! So...ya, if he is as serious as his dad was, public school may be the way to go once he reaches middle/high school.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM

(EDIT: I meant GRASSLAND Elementary . . . not Boxwood)

Yes, the trolley is great! I have used it to get back from where I get my car repaired, near the Factory. You must have patience but it's relaxing!

Franklin Transit « TMA Group

As for location, both Brad Paisley and Kenny Chesney live not far from here. Carrie Underwood bought her first home in Fieldstone Farms. Nick Carter, however, lives in Westhaven. Have you looked there? A bit too perfect for my taste but I think a lot of people like living there.

Franklin Green is another development but all the houses are the same price point which makes the residents not as diverse.

I see the school bus here all the time . . . and Fieldstone has it's own Elementary School - Hunters Bend.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM

72 posts, read 144,249 times
We moved here from Chicago 2 years ago. We researched every neighborhood and saw homes every where. We really liked Fieldstone Farms and it was on our top 3 neighborhood lists for final looking. It is REALLY big and spread out. I would almost say that it more of a bunch of little neighborhoods within a community. In the end, it came down to what was on the market when we needed to buy. We actually bought in Founders Pointe. It doesn't seem to be on the radar too often with people, but it has been a great fit for us. Wide streets, wide sidewalks, flat lots. Right now, there are 2 homes around $299K and one around $350K. That is a typical range for the neighborhood. I have also seen some under $299K as well. There is a mix of homeschool kids and Williamson County and FSSD. Just another option for you to look at. It is about 2 miles west of downtown Franklin on HWY 96.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 PM

Thank you!! Founders Pointe has definitely been on my radar. I love it and how close it is to cute downtown. There was a house for sale there over the summer that I was drooling over but we weren't ready yet. Right now, I think Cottonwood is our favorite neighborhood in Franklin. It will probably come down to, like sickofsnowychi said, inventory that's available when we need to buy.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:49 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
I thought of Founders Pointe, too. Westhaven is beautiful, but has the alleyway system your husband disliked. Cannonwood and Cedarmont might be of interest to you, or Abington Ridge, all on the other side of 65. Tends to be less congested getting to the freeway for your trips to Nashville.

Whoops- Forget Abington Ridge- lowest price currently is 459K.

Last edited by akm4; 09-30-2012 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: pricing note

Old 10-01-2012, 03:42 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,544,806 times
Founders Point, Spencer Hall, Franklin Green are all fairly well priced and quick drives to Green Hills either down Old Hillsboro or Hillsboro.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Westhaven is pretty awesome, I have to say. With my family, though, not sure we would get used to the no yard living. It is absolutely beautiful, though.

I was nervous about the hi 96 subdivisions because of the nashville commute, but it doesn't seem that bad actually. Thank you for all the suggestions!!!!

Old 10-01-2012, 10:02 AM

Cottonwood was hit very hard by the flood in 2010 so be sure to pick one on high ground!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville