U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,923 times

Advertisements

I'm a new professor at MTSU and have been renting in Murfreesboro this year. I'd like to be closer to Nashville and don't mind a 30-45 minute commute. I'd like to find an area where the homes are on large lots, at least 1/2 acre with privacy from neighbors. (Not a cookie cutter neighborhood with postage stamp sized yards.) An older home that needs some renovation would be okay. From reading through some of the threads, many of the areas between Nashville and Murfreesboro which are off 24 seem not to be safe. As a single female, safety is important to me but I would like to find something for $200k or less. Can you suggest specific zip codes or areas that I should look at, and tell me which ones I should avoid? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:43 PM

6,446 posts, read 11,122,766 times
Well, to be honest, if you eliminate the areas along I-24 between Murfreesboro and Nashville, it will be hard to satisfy being closer to Nashville, being within 30-45 minutes of MTSU, and having at least half an acre for under $200,000.

I think there are some options that will work between Murfreesboro and Nashville, even in Davidson County. But you have to be very careful where you pick. Even if there are some safe neighborhoods or houses that are great deals, if it's close to Antioch, or labeled as Antioch, it might continue to go down in value. If I were looking in Davidson County, I would see if there is anything available in the extreme lower portion of the county, between Edmondson Pike, I-24, and the county line, and *south* of Old Hickory Blvd. Maybe if you can find something around Burkitt Rd or Holt Rd.

Another possibility in Davidson County could be Donelson, which is considerably closer to town (5-7 miles from downtown). It's an older 40s-60s "suburb" of Nashville. There are a few older houses that need fixing up. Housing values aren't through the roof, but it seems pretty stable right now, and it's generally a safer, more quiet area.

2622 Bluefield Ave, Nashville, TN 37214 - Zillow

133 Spring Valley Rd, Nashville, TN 37214 - Zillow

These two houses are in the neighborhood my mother grew up in (and where I visited my grandmother). The lots are of decent size, the houses are pretty neat mid-century style (not quite historic, but with a lot more character than most ranch houses).

The only knocks I have on Donelson is it's very close to the airport, so it can be quite noisy (though most houses have noise reduction measures in them), and that it would be a HAUL to get to Murfreesboro....right on the edge of your 30-45 minutes, depending on how fast you drive and what time you leave.

There's a possibility that you could find something in rural eastern Williamson or western Rutherford County. It's a pretty area and should provide you with some privacy (for now), but it would actually put you farther from Nashville. You could try parts of Wilson County, on the south side of Mount Juliet, perhaps near Gladeville. It would be a long, but pretty easy commute to Murfreesboro, and would put you moderately closer to Nashville

Closer to Murfreesboro, you shouldn't rule Smyrna out. It's hit or miss, but there are some nice houses at a good price there. I'm not sure how easy it will be to get half acre+ lots, though.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:29 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,404,597 times
I remember an HGTV House Hunters episode a year or so ago where the couple looked at homes in Donelson, 12 South, and somewhere else...maybe East Nashville and they actually decided on the Donelson home. It seems to be an area that is just starting to see a rise in its popularity as it's really close to downtown, reasonably priced, and doesn't have much of a reputation for high-crime.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,923 times
Thanks so much for the suggestions! Donelson sounds intriguing - I've never been in that area. I'm guessing the best route to Murfreesboro would be Briley Parkway to 24? How bad is the commute traffic in that area?

Old 12-18-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsuprof View Post
Thanks so much for the suggestions! Donelson sounds intriguing - I've never been in that area. I'm guessing the best route to Murfreesboro would be Briley Parkway to 24? How bad is the commute traffic in that area?
Yeah...the only problem with Briley is between I-40 and I-24 it has several red lights and can be slow (it's not a freeway at that point). But the alternative (taking Briley or Donelson Pike to I-40, then taking 24 at the split) is not advisable during rush hour.

I've never taken that specific commute...but it's a reverse commute, so you should avoid most traffic issues until you get to Murfreesboro. Like I said...it's long. I imagine it would take 40-50 minutes if not a little bit more. That's the main drawback. It's 35 or so miles.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:07 AM

46,168 posts, read 44,516,010 times
I would suggest the Crievewood/Crieve Hall/Caldwell Hall area. It is perfectly located in south Nashville near I-65 and Old Hickory Blvd., which is convenient to retail, nightlife and would take you to I-24. With the reverse commute to Murfreesboro, that stretch of OHB would probably be the toughest part of your commute.

The homes here are older (1950s/1960s) but smallish. The yards are huge and have mature trees. It is in a good school zone so the neighborhood is still desirable, but still a mix of older folks, empty nesters, young families and single professionals.

Here are some on the market right now:

RealTracs Real Estate Mid-South Search Results

Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM

5,025 posts, read 4,839,728 times
Crieve Hall is a great area, but as it has become more popular, more realtors are using Crieve Hall in their listings for areas that are outside of the actual Crieve Hall area. The borders of Crieve Hall are Blackman to te north, Old Hickory (or Hill Road) to the south, Franklin to the west and Edmondson Pike to the east. If I were a single woman buying a house, I would look a little further south than Blackman. Anything below Hogan is great, and the couple of streets north of Hogan are good- and pretty much anything west of Trousdale & south of Blackmon is good. Clear as mud?
From wmsn's listings- the ones in the target area would start at $199K, with Landon being the first. Landon is a great street.
If you google "Crieve Hall map", a map appears showing you the borders and you can match that up to listings. But again, I wouldn't go as north Blackman as a single female. If you drive that area, you will see what I mean. As you get closer to Crieve Hall elementary and south of there, it's all cute, well kept mid century houses. Blackman is not as well kept.
Crieve Hall is a fantastic area, close to Brentwood, Nipper's Corner, 12 South, Green Hills, Hillsboro Village, Radnor Lake, etc. Plus it should be a pretty easy commute to Murfreesboro. You can go for a run at Radnor, then go a few miles up Granny White to 12South to the cheese shop or Las Paletas for gourmet popsicles, and then a few miles down Franklin Road back home.
We used to live very close in Oak Hill and that area is such a great location.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM

909 posts, read 897,097 times
Lots of new houses near the new Stewarts Creek High School (outside of Smyrna just off I-24)

Old 12-18-2012, 01:59 PM

Agreed about Crieve Hall being great. But it does seem to be rising in price a bit. If you can find something that works right now, it would be a good investment.

I also sort of agree with the google definition of Crieve Hall. Most of that neighborhood was developed at the same time, and it is somewhat different than a lot of the adjacent areas. CSX tracks and I-65 put up a solid barrier between it and Oak Hill (only Hogan Road and Farrell Parkway connect it). Honestly anything along Hill Road and to the south is not Crieve Hall. Much of that is the old Granbery property and is now Hearthstone and the new Seven Springs development.

The eastern border is tough to define. Aside from Blackman, any road that empties out onto Edmondson Pike is not in Crieve Hall, especially the Player's Club. Ellington Agricultural Center is sort of a buffer between Crieve Hall and the McMurray/Whispering Hills area.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:48 PM

353 posts, read 874,833 times
Try south of Murfreesboro...(Kittrell, Woodbury). and not sure where you got your info, but most of the areas off I-24 are fine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or