U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2007, 05:26 PM

12 posts, read 21,948 times

Advertisements

Hi all

It's difficult to get a grasp on commute times. I'm a R.N, and will be doing a masters degree so likely will work at Vanderbilt or one of the other hospitals in Nashville. Does anyone have a suggestion for an area NO MORE THAN 15-20 MINUTE COMMUTE to Vanderbilt?

Are there nice "suburban"type areas close to Vanderbilt that are safe and pretty, family friendly? My husband will be working in Gallatin and prefers a commute no more than half an hour. Any help would be SO appreciated!

Diana
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,828,179 times
Buying or renting? What price range are you looking at? That will make a lot of difference as to what we can recommend. There are some really nice neighborhoods near Vandy (some are expensive . . . Al Gore and Fred Thompson don't live all that far from Vandy) and some houses in the mid-range. Not much really cheap within a 15 minute commutes however unless you go over to Charlotte; which I don't recommend.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:06 PM

HI Alleycat
Thanks for responding! Buying; 300-400,000. Our little guy (4) has some developmental issues, so we need a great school, public if possible. I heard Brentwood has great schools but I'm concerned about the commute time to Vanderbilt. Thanks again!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 40,841 times
15 to 20 minutes from Vanderbilt would almost require that you live in Davidson County. I used to work at Centennial Medical Center, which is pretty much right next to Vanderbilt, it took me every bit of 30 minutes to be there at 8AM and I was coming from the Madison area. (Madison, by the way, is not the area you're looking for!) However Vanderbilt is not the only hospital in Nashville. HCA has 4 hospitals in Nashville alone. Centennial, Summit, Southern Hills, and Skyline. There are also several hospitals in the surrounding counties including Hendersonville Medical, Sumner Regional, StoneCrest, Horizon, the list goes on and on. If I'm not mistaken Nashville's #2 industry behind music is healthcare. Gallatin is a nice area and has a hospital (Sumner Regional) and is close to Hendersonville Medical. These hospitals are nowhere near as large as Vanderbilt but they are good facilities. However, traffic coming out of Gallatin/Sumner County in the am is HEAVY, so 30 minutes on some mornings will get you close to downtown Nashville. I personally would not move into Nashville if I could help it. Hope that bit of rambling can be of some use!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,651,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianabayne View Post
HI Alleycat
Thanks for responding! Buying; 300-400,000. Our little guy (4) has some developmental issues, so we need a great school, public if possible. I heard Brentwood has great schools but I'm concerned about the commute time to Vanderbilt. Thanks again!!
Diana,
Brentwood is quite spread out and depending on where in Brentwood you live and the time of day you travel to Vanderbilit the commute time could take anywhere from fifteen to about thirty five minutes. The part of Brentwood that is closest to Vanderbilt with easier access to major roads is also the most expensive with most houses going for well more than 400k. Also, your husband's commute time to Gallatin could easily be forty five minutes to an hour since it is well north of downtown Nashville. A suggestion I would have is for you to contact the school systems for Davidson County(Nashville) and Williamson County(Brentwood) and find out which schools best meets the needs of you child. Once you find that out that will help narrow down the areas for you and you can then focus on the commute times and housing availability in your price range. You may end up having to compromise somewhat with your commute times.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Hi gbone

Thanks; that info is very helpful.
Actually, my little guy just needs a low teacher: student ratio and a small class size (he has sensory issues). We prefer to have him in public; but will put him in private if necessary. What areas just North of Nashville are family friendly with good schools? I've read a lot of good things about Hendersonville.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson247 View Post
15 to 20 minutes from Vanderbilt would almost require that you live in Davidson County. I used to work at Centennial Medical Center, which is pretty much right next to Vanderbilt, it took me every bit of 30 minutes to be there at 8AM and I was coming from the Madison area. (Madison, by the way, is not the area you're looking for!) However Vanderbilt is not the only hospital in Nashville. HCA has 4 hospitals in Nashville alone. Centennial, Summit, Southern Hills, and Skyline. There are also several hospitals in the surrounding counties including Hendersonville Medical, Sumner Regional, StoneCrest, Horizon, the list goes on and on. If I'm not mistaken Nashville's #2 industry behind music is healthcare. Gallatin is a nice area and has a hospital (Sumner Regional) and is close to Hendersonville Medical. These hospitals are nowhere near as large as Vanderbilt but they are good facilities. However, traffic coming out of Gallatin/Sumner County in the am is HEAVY, so 30 minutes on some mornings will get you close to downtown Nashville. I personally would not move into Nashville if I could help it. Hope that bit of rambling can be of some use!
Hi Wilson

Thanks so much; your "rambling" is actually very helpful, so feel free to ramble on!!
I was thinking more of Vanderbilt only because of my plans to do my masters degree, so it's likely that my clinical would be there. What's halfway between Vanderbilt hospital and and Hendersonville?? Do you know if the schools there are good?

THanks again

Old 10-17-2007, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianabayne View Post
I was thinking more of Vanderbilt only because of my plans to do my masters degree, so it's likely that my clinical would be there. What's halfway between Vanderbilt hospital and and Hendersonville?? Do you know if the schools there are good?

THanks again
Hendersonville might be a reasonable choice for you. It's almost exactly half-way between Vanderbilt area and Gallatin and, with your price range, you could buy a really nice home in Hendersonville. The only thing is it would be a little more than a 20 minute commute to Vanderbilt during rush hour.

There's a lot of choices I could give you if closeness to Vanderbilt or the other hospitals were the main thing, but many of them would make the commute to Gallatin too long.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 AM

9,097 posts, read 21,736,669 times
For $300-400k, you can easily find a house around Vanderbilt.

And it seems to me, and I might be wrong, but Vanderbilt's Peabody College of Education runs a highly-ranked public school for kids with disabilities. It's on Blakemore across the street from Fannie Mae Dees Park, affectionately known as Dragon Park because of its really cool concrete dragon in the middle of the park. The school is Harris-Hillman School:
Home Page

You could live in the neighborhood just south of Blakemore and be within easy walking distance of the above-mentioned school, of Vanderbilt, and of the hip Hillsboro Village commercial area along 21st Ave.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
For $300-400k, you can easily find a house around Vanderbilt.

You could live in the neighborhood just south of Blakemore and be within easy walking distance of the above-mentioned school, of Vanderbilt, and of the hip Hillsboro Village commercial area along 21st Ave.
You're right, but her husband has got to make a commute to Gallatin apparently, which sort of puts a monkey wrench into looking at Green Hills, the West End Avenue area, Hillwood, or some of the other places near Vanderbilt.

It's a tough call . . . 15 to 20 minutes to Vanderbilt, 30 minutes to Gallatin, a nice neighborhood with at least decent schools. I think Diana might have to flex just a little in her requirements. It's hard to work in two different towns and then want a relatively short commute.

I think I'd still look at Hendersonville, possibly Mt. Juliet (I'm not sure about the commute times; it might work).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville