Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:18 PM

11 posts, read 21,713 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to TN and we have two children in grade school. We have read great things about schools in the Brentwood area, but one on my concerns is opportunities within the state for colleges. I know Vanderbilt is a great school, but very selective and probably cost prohibitive. I know Tennessee is a respected school. What other universities in TN are good for physical therapy and or dentistry/orthodontic studies?

Thanks,
Moose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,843,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosekevin View Post
We are considering a move to TN and we have two children in grade school. We have read great things about schools in the Brentwood area, but one on my concerns is opportunities within the state for colleges. I know Vanderbilt is a great school, but very selective and probably cost prohibitive. I know Tennessee is a respected school. What other universities in TN are good for physical therapy and or dentistry/orthodontic studies?

Thanks,
Moose
Although there are some great universities within TN, why would they be limited to just TN schools?

Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,330,051 times
Just for clarification, are you looking for colleges/universities for you, or for your children?

Old 01-03-2013, 07:24 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Rhodes and Sewanee are both nationally ranked liberal arts colleges. Belmont has a growing reputation.

Also Univ. of Memphis (state school), UT-Martin, UT-Chat and Tennessee Tech all have good reputations and strong programs in certain majors.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM

11 posts, read 21,713 times
I am looking for my children and I ask specifically about in-state schools because of in-state tuition rates.

Thanks for all of your responses.

Moose

Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
FWIW TN has HOPE scholarships for students who maintain certain GPAs/ACT scores. The standards aren't particularly difficult to obtain if you kid is truly college bound material.

Lipscomb which is a private school has a good health sciences program too (my babysitter is a nursing student there).

As for dental that is a graduate level program and there is one at Meharry in Nashville and one at UT in Memphis

Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
You might want to keep your eye on Belmont. They are trying hard to expand and improve their reputation. One of the presidential debates was held there in 2008. It's a private school, but sometimes the cost of a private school can be lower than a state school with financial aid and scholarship money. Since your children are only in grade school, many things can change by the time they are ready. Both P/T and dentistry would be on the graduate/professional school level. Your children don't have to major in a science field to be admitted to a graduate program, but they would need all the prequisite undergraduate science and math classes. I would wait and see how they handle high school science and math before they focus on becoming a P/T or dentist. P/T is now a doctoral program. Both are going to take many years of school/internship/residency.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,182,229 times
Tennessee Tech is the best. Small town, so no inner city danger to worry about. (I've hitchhiked here and feel safe, but then again I am 20 years old and a guy). Lots to do here, really nice people. Good professors. The newer dorms are very nice, and there is plenty of housing near campus as well. Traffic is not bad.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 AM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro (30 minutes south of Nashville) is a very good university.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:09 PM

68 posts, read 91,824 times
the Nashville area has some great colleges.....I did my undergrad at MTSU and am currently in grad school at Belmont, and both are expanding both in size and reputation....lots of construction on both campuses have made them great places to be a student

MTSU in particular is barely recognizable today from what it was when I was last a student about 4 years ago.....it look awesome.....and Belmont has expanded it's programs and now offers a Healthcare MBA along with relatively new pharmacy and law schools....it is also a reputable school for Music study and a very nice campus near downtown.....both schools have excellent athletics programs as well

beyond those 2, there are many smaller colleges in Nashville (I believe 6-7 [?] within city limits), so plenty to choose from

if you're looking for PT and dentistry in particular, UT-Chattanooga has a good PT program, and I believe the UT-Knoxville satelite campus in Memphis has a reputable dentistry program, but I'm not sure about the Nashville-area universities with those programs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville