Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2013, 01:55 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,487,124 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
We may be stopping in Nashville on our travels this May and was wondering if the summer humidity is on by then and if there a lot of mosquitoes? Also if we take a trip to the Smokey Mountains are there tons of bugs if we go hiking? Does something like Deet work well?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 01:58 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
I would answer "yes" to all of the above.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I would answer "yes" to all of the above.
Thanks for the heads up! I would imagine Fall would be the best time to go? Do you guys get as much color as New England? Also, does it get very cold in October/November as far as snow and ice?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Old 01-13-2013, 02:26 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,827,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Thanks for the heads up! I would imagine Fall would be the best time to go? Do you guys get as much color as New England? Also, does it get very cold in October/November as far as snow and ice?

There is generally just as much color; it just happens later in the year. There is virtually no chance of snow in October but November can see some snow in the very upper peaks of the smokeys. Usually Clingmans Dome, the highest point in the state, will have its first snow in November but it's very rare in the cities and towns. I was in Gatlinburg on the weekend after thanksgiving about 8 years go when there was a ~1 inch snow but it was definitely not the norm.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:31 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
Quote:

Fall is generally a good time. More mild temperatures, and less rain than Spring.

Leaf color can be good, but it's not something we're known for *here*...the Smokies have better color, but they're 200 miles away. Here, it mostly depends on how much rain we get. This year was pretty good.

It can get cold (I wouldn't say 'very' cold) in October and November. It can snow, but it usually doesn't. If it does, it's probably flurries. Most of our winter problems come December-February. Sometimes March, with a late snow.

Mid October is a great time to come IMO.

Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Quote:

The other "obstacle" you might run into during fall is overflow traffic from University of Tennessee football games.

The stadium holds more than 100k people, and many like to stay in mountain cabins those weekends.

The car traffic in Pigeon Forge can be bumper to bumper on game days.

Just keep that in mind if you're trying to travel through on your way to somewhere else.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,206,974 times
Quote:
Hi there,
We may be stopping in Nashville on our travels this May and was wondering if the summer humidity is on by then and if there a lot of mosquitoes? Also if we take a trip to the Smokey Mountains are there tons of bugs if we go hiking? Does something like Deet work well?

Thanks!
By May winter is over & long gone. When you go hiking, there may not be so many mosquitoes as fire ants or other bugs. Something with Deet does work well. You do need good hiking shoes & be careful where you walk.

summer's heat & humidity can be more into June. A lot depends on the general pattern of winds & storms. Another item to carry with you is a weather radio. You don't want to be caught unawares by thunderstorms & tornadoes.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
By May winter is over & long gone. When you go hiking, there may not be so many mosquitoes as fire ants or other bugs. Something with Deet does work well. You do need good hiking shoes & be careful where you walk.

summer's heat & humidity can be more into June. A lot depends on the general pattern of winds & storms. Another item to carry with you is a weather radio. You don't want to be caught unawares by thunderstorms & tornadoes.
Wow!... I didn't know Nashville and surroundings got such extreme weather!

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:08 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,767,047 times
Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks!
Being from Florida, I can tell you that mosquitoes are not a big concern here in Middle Tennessee unless you are overly sensitive to things like that. Anytime you go outside in Florida in the summer months you will most likely get bit by mosquitoes unless you have sprayed or have one of those candles or mosquitoe killing lamps. I've been here in Tennessee through 3 summers and never got bit by a mosquitoe. This is just my point of view though. I've heard locals complain about them sometimes though, so it really depends on what you are used to.

Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,260,514 times
Quote:
Wow!... I didn't know Nashville and surroundings got such extreme weather!

Thanks!
We get a good deal of severe weather -- as does a lot of the South and Midwest.

Tornado activity in this area of the country is only second to the famed Tornado Alley.

Unlike floods or hurricanes, which have very widespread devastation, tornadoes typically only affect a small area when they touch down. But when they touch down -- and in a populated area...they can cause catastrophic damage and loss of life.

The recent examples of Tuscaloosa, AL and Joplin, MO are of the rather extreme variety.

Davidson County (Nashville) has had just 9 deaths in the last 75 years from tornadoes...and that includes when an F3 directly hit downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville